Do you play rounds without a driver?

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I've played many rounds without it and can still score just as good and just as bad.

My course definitely doesn't need driver, but it's one of my favourite and most consistent clubs to hit so it makes sense to use it.

BearwoodLakesGolfer

Visit site
I despise my driver, not the club itself but more the way that I hit it.
Being a mid handicapper I find taking irons off the tee helps so much I’m terms of accuracy. The way I try to think about it is with the holes I get shots on, I’m there for net 0.
The other plus size is I don’t lose anywhere near the amount of balls…

D

Deleted member 1147

I despise my driver, not the club itself but more the way that I hit it.
Being a mid handicapper I find taking irons off the tee helps so much I’m terms of accuracy. The way I try to think about it is with the holes I get shots on, I’m there for net 0.
The other plus size is I don’t lose anywhere near the amount of balls…
Which is fine if you want to remain a mid handicapper. But don’t you want to get lower? If so, learn to hit driver better.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Which is fine if you want to remain a mid handicapper. But don’t you want to get lower? If so, learn to hit driver better.
Exactly this. Learn to hit driver or get one you can hit. More people would benefit from having a higher lofted driver with a shorter shaft.

I’ve also yet to meet a mid handicapper that isn’t just as capable of missing a fairway with an iron of fatting it just off the front of the tee.

ThinBullet

Visit site
During the summer, I'll go down to the course on a weeknight a couple of times just with my irons and a putter, and play off the forward tees, but never in a comp. I want to be a far down as I can off the medals.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Always got a driver in the bag.
A couple of times I've taken two drivers.
Like these two Cobra F-Speed.
We have a few doglegs and I find the 10.5° regular easier to draw and the 9° stiff easier to fade.

Cobras.JPG

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not normally ....but in 1976 during the drought I broke 70 [gross] in a medal carrying only irons [2,4,6,7,8,9,W & SI.
Keeping the ball on the fairways was very difficult and I was hitting a 2 iron 300 yards [200 carry plus 100 run] :cool:

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
After a couple of visits to Rustington TopTracer range where I found although on average I carry my driver further, my 3w is actually about 10 yards longer, I haven’t even put the big stick in the bag the couple of months. I may need to change in the winter if the fairways stop rolling.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I love my driver but many years ago I couldn’t hit any of my woods so I went around with just my irons. Everyone should try it at least once on their own course as it’s eye opening.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is a short film of one of the young English pros playing around the belfry in 78 shots just using a 5 iron.
Impressive stuff, especially the two bunker shots where he said that he probably would not have done so well playing his SI.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I’ve not had a driver in the bag since 2016 or Iron’s for that matter 😂

I can reach Most par 4’s at mine with a hybrid if the tee. Won’t hit 3 wood til the 6th normally as 4 hybrid is around 200 yards so plenty of yardage to get there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve not had a driver in the bag since 2016 or Iron’s for that matter 😂

I can reach Most par 4’s at mine with a hybrid if the tee. Won’t hit 3 wood til the 6th normally as 4 hybrid is around 200 yards so plenty of yardage to get there.
Are you playing one of those full hybrid sets?? 😲

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
I had this conversation with a chap I played with in the swindle on Sunday. He told me I need to hit driver because despite the fact that I won the swindle, I am a driver chicken.

In March this year, it was the best club in my bag and I was loving it. I had two bad rounds and it has been in my car boot ever since.

Had it out maybe once or twice since then but my confidence is shot with it despite the rest of my game improving.

I carry a 3 wood but my goto is a hybrid that I hit 190 but straight up the middle every time - I’ve fallen intently the trap of wanting to be in play and accepting the loss of distance.