Do you play rounds without a driver?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My original drivers were cheap and nasty things and I used a 3 wood most of the time. Since getting a half decent driver it is pretty much the only club I use off the tee other than on par 3's . If playing a short course in winter I may use other clubs for practice but if playing competitively I wouldn't use another club.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
4x of us went out a few weeks ago
All of us hit similar distances with a variety of different drivers, not hugely long, maybe around the 220 yd mark.
Anyway, I borrowed a Ping G430 3 wood (reg) from the pro shop.
OMG! The thing was an absolute monster off the tee, my fellow players couldn't get anywhere near me.
I didn't use my driver at all that day.
I was a little more challenging to hit off the deck, but when I did connect, wow!
Tbh, I'm very tempted to junk the driver & put one in the bag.

D

Deleted member 1147

On average an amateur golfer is as accurate with a FW as with a driver.

So generally speaking you will be better off sticking with the big dog, as it’s also proven that length also helps reduce scores.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Big trial this weekend. Can see me using this a lot off the tee.

I have not hit a fairway on our par 5’s in about 3/4 months. Should be able to get there in two with this.

Not sure why but my driver is so wild compared to this. Having said that I have only tested it on the range.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The trouble is that many people aren't average....
For many the difference between driver and 3 wood probably isn't huge
But if you're at the wrong end of the spectrum and your driver takes you 40/50 yards off course then using a 5 wood and losing that distance MAY be a better bet.
Take a 400 yard hole.
Driver goes 240, 5 wood goes 200
You slice your driver into the trees so your only shot is a chip out
Youre now 160 yards out in 2
Take your 5 wood which, in the OP, is straighter - or doesn't go far enough to be in the trees and you're 200 out in 1.
Hit another and you're on the green or greenside for 2. No brained.
This whole debate hinges on whether you have a clear 2nd shot after hitting driver....
If your slice or hook takes you into then1st or even 2nd cut then its not a problem
But if you're constantly hacking out of deep rough or punching out sideways then you're wasting shots.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Last few rounds Newport has been using the winter tee mats. On the first (shortish uphill par 4) I've been chucking a ball on the mat and hitting a 5 wood. Its usually on the fairway and not significantly much shorter than where the first drive of the day goes!

Either way. Do whatever gives you the best results.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Big trial this weekend. Can see me using this a lot off the tee.

I have not hit a fairway on our par 5’s in about 3/4 months. Should be able to get there in two with this.

Not sure why but my driver is so wild compared to this. Having said that I have only tested it on the range.

Is your bad shot ever a pull/hook?

Jason.H

Visit site
I’m not very long off the tee so I always have driver. Practice rounds I’ll take fairway wood or hybrid off the tee as I’m not on the back tees.
It’s long par 4,s that get me, 450 yards into wind and it’s driver followed with a wood or hybrid. If I didn’t have driver I wouldn’t reach in regulation.
I do hit a lot of fairways with driver and sometimes joke it’s my straitest club in the bag.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Long par fours I often find I'm short in two, buts that's how it should be for mid/high handicappers.

Some days I play with a 2 or 3 wood rather than a driver, especially if I'm carrying.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m not very long off the tee so I always have driver. Practice rounds I’ll take fairway wood or hybrid off the tee as I’m not on the back tees.
It’s long par 4,s that get me, 450 yards into wind and it’s driver followed with a wood or hybrid. If I didn’t have driver I wouldn’t reach in regulation.
I do hit a lot of fairways with driver and sometimes joke it’s my straitest club in the bag.
If you can reach a 450 yard par 4 into the wind in 2, you are a long hitter!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My bad I’m comparing myself to similar low handicap players. I sometimes feel embarrassed using hybrid into par 3,s in scratch team matches yet I know it’s fine.
No pictures on the score card.!

I am nowhere near as long as my pps but am the lowest capper ..😳

my short game is quite good.

peld

Visit site
quite often.
At my club, on our shorter course, even when i have driver in the bag there is only 3 holes that you'd class as "driver holes" (530 yrd par 5, 420 par 4 and 375yrd par 4). However if its misbehaving you can certainly play without it, and especially in summer when the ground runs.