What distances do you hit?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The distances I use for carry/roll to work out what club to hit on a flat shot with no noticeable wind would be:

Driver - 210/230
3 wood - 190/210
3h- 180/190
4 iron - 170/175
5 iron - 160/165
6 iron - 150/155
7 iron - 140/145
8 iron - 130/135
9 iron - 120/125
PW - 110/115
52 - 95/100
56 - 75/80

These have been good enough to see me round in sub 90 all year off yellows.

Those distances are enough to play off scratch if your game is good enough

Your numbers are similar to the OP, I’ve never had a gapping session but from experience I’m about 1 club longer than you and the OP throughout the bag.

I’ve no concerns over swing speed and distance, plenty of concerns in relation to my ability to play golf though

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its funny my mate hits his irons crazy long but his driver and woods are not as long relatively speaking.
As already said, he may have strong lofted irons.
Yeah, my driver/wood length is about what they say the average is, but my irons 5-10 yards longer. My iron lofts are very strong as well - 7 iron is 30°, PW 44°.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yeah, my driver/wood length is about what they say the average is, but my irons 5-10 yards longer. My iron lofts are very strong as well - 7 iron is 30°, PW 44°.

They're weak lofts, if you want to be a real man you need to move to the Callaway Epic Forged - 7 iron is 27°, PW 41°

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They're weak lofts, if you want to be a real man you need to move to the Callaway Epic Forged - 7 iron is 27°, PW 41°
Christ! The strongest I'd seen on a PW was 43. Is that the set where they actually introduced two pitching wedges or was that another one? I don't think it is, but the one I'm talking about they actually labelled them 'PW1' and 'PW2' on the clubs I think. :LOL: I wonder if in the future people will have three irons and seven 'wedges' in the bag. They might as well stop bothering with the labels and just write the loft on them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Christ! The strongest I'd seen on a PW was 43. Is that the set where they actually introduced two pitching wedges or was that another one? I don't think it is, but the one I'm talking about they actually labelled them 'PW1' and 'PW2' on the clubs I think. :LOL: I wonder if in the future people will have three irons and seven 'wedges' in the bag. They might as well stop bothering with the labels and just write the loft on them.
I managed to find the ones I was thinking of! https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/clubs/irons/tour-b-jgr-hf1-irons-
How ridiculous.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ultimately though, doesn't it simply boil down to what each player feels comfortable hitting into a target given the conditions for that shot. These distance threads pop up from time to time and while it's good to see what some people hit, and whether that is relative to stronger or "normal" lofts, surely it's all subjective. I know I am a relatively short hitter even amongst those I play with but I know my yardages (or thought I did until Bob mentioned something the other day) and so will play accordingly and if that means laying up on some holes to a good wedge distance, for me, then that's usually the best way to make net par and hopefully roll the odd putt in for a gross version

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
To answer the subject...

As far as I need, not as far as I'd like or usually in the direction I'd like. Sometimes farther than I want, thinking about those knifed wedge approaches from 50yds that end up going 150yds.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
60 if it's in the bag up to 70yards
56 70-80yards
52 around 100-110
Pw 120
9 130
8 140
7 150
6 160

You could probably pull all those back a few yards off the full round number. I do know with no wind they shouldn't go further than that.

After these distances I go for hybrid help. My 6 iron isn't as high or as consistent as I'd like.

5 hybrid covers anything around 165 to 180
4hybrid 180 to 200 mark.

5 wood over 200 to 215 with a very high soft landing flight

Driving hybrid at 16degree is around 200 carry with plenty of case.

3 wood is a strange one. Deep face means I find it though to hit off the deck and launch it. Great off the tee for a mid flight with some run.

Driver is 240 or a smidge more carry.

Might do a gap test this year but I'd wager I wouldn't be far off those numbers.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ultimately though, doesn't it simply boil down to what each player feels comfortable hitting into a target given the conditions for that shot. These distance threads pop up from time to time and while it's good to see what some people hit, and whether that is relative to stronger or "normal" lofts, surely it's all subjective. I know I am a relatively short hitter even amongst those I play with but I know my yardages (or thought I did until Bob mentioned something the other day) and so will play accordingly and if that means laying up on some holes to a good wedge distance, for me, then that's usually the best way to make net par and hopefully roll the odd putt in for a gross version
Agree, knowing how far you hit each of your clubs is the most important thing - however far that is.

Apart from driver though. Being able to hit driver really far must help a LOT. :(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Those distances are enough to play off scratch if your game is good enough

Your numbers are similar to the OP, I’ve never had a gapping session but from experience I’m about 1 club longer than you and the OP throughout the bag.

I’ve no concerns over swing speed and distance, plenty of concerns in relation to my ability to play golf though

Snap - like you maybe one club longer than OP - but no more.

I often feel that I'm a bit short - but it hasn't stopped me getting to 6 in the past and ticking along quite OK at the moment on 8.

My key is that my driving is relatively by far the best and most consistent shot in my armoury. I usually get it on or about the short stuff a good distance down (240-260) - and then can usually get my shot to the green there or thereabouts - then half decent chipping and putting. Bob's yer uncle. I can (usually) enjoy my golf and play SFs without doing anything remotely 'special'.

albie999

Visit site
A 27 degree 7 iron would scare me, the 5 iron loft must be like a traditional 2 iron. Watched a YouTube vid the other day, where they were comparing a 7 iron and 30 degree, and a more traditional 30 degree which was a 6 .... and they tend to be the same club. Talking about stamping the loft on the club, that is what Cleveland have done with the new UHX irons ... quite like they put the loft and the iron on it

Like I said in my other post, with me having 2 swings at the min, not sure the loft would affect that

User20204

Visit site
I used to play with a guy who said he hit his 7 150, he always came up short on approach shots, yet he was sure his 7 was 150 and worked everything from that distance, 10 yards up or down per club.

One day we were at the practice area and I had my laser, his 7 was going around 130, longest 135, shortest 127 :geek:

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I hit my 3 iron 230 and regularly play with a guy who plays of scratch and hits his driver the same distance and absolutely schools me around my 6600 yard home course. Accuracy is king until you start playing big boy courses.