West Country Golf - Which Club?

JayB

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently looking into the possibility of joining a local golf club but unsure which one, listed in nearest to furthest order, I was hoping the members of this forum would be kind enough to share any knowledge of the following clubs.

The Players Club
The Kendleshire Golf Club
Thornbury Golf Centre
Cotswold Edge Golf Club
Filton Golf Club
The Bristol Golf Club
Lansdown Golf Club
Chippenham Golf Club
Saltford Golf Club
Bath Golf Club
Kingsdown Golf Club

I'll be joining on my own so need to be able to find playing partners easily and I want to play all year round within reason

A good junior section for my boy would be great although not essential as he also plays elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you want a midweek round at Chippenham let me know and I might be able to take you round. Nice new clubhouse and course not too bad, money being spent to try and improve it

MrGrumtastic

Visit site
I hear good things about the Players and the Kendleshire is a very nice course too.

I've recently joined Saltford, but know there is a waiting list at the moment.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
players is the best out of that list. But does have a waiting list for the main category now. Junior section is growing and we have some of the top youngsters in the county
memberships is brilliant, laid back and no ‘old’ committee members holding the clubs back

Only issue - it does get fairly wet in the winter (but doesn’t close)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just looking again at your list, they seem to be spread out a bit. Where exactly are you as it may narrow it down a bit . For example, if you are near Kingsdown you may want to add Cumberwell into the mix, or if near Chippenham then Manor House or Bowood may fit the bill (but these 2 are a bit pricey!)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was a member of Filton GC for 12yrs from mid-1980s. I really enjoyed my time as a member - very friendly club. The club did a massive amount of redevelopment work on the course over that time and it was very disruptive. However when I played it about 5yrs ago it had come along very nicely indeed. OK - where it is located it’s never going to be the most scenic - and the public footpaths across it can be a bit of a pain (plenty of courses have that same issue). But it’s a decent challenge - and for me living in north Bristol and working in BAe literally adjacent to the course - it suited me just perfectly.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was a member of Filton GC for 12yrs from mid-1980s. I really enjoyed my time as a member - very friendly club. The club did a massive amount of redevelopment work on the course over that time and it was very disruptive. However when I played it about 5yrs ago it had come along very nicely indeed. OK - where it is located it’s never going to be the most scenic - and the public footpaths across it can be a bit of a pain (plenty of courses have that same issue). But it’s a decent challenge - and for me living in north Bristol and working in BAe literally adjacent to the course - it suited me just perfectly.
We used to play our RAF station matches there until a few years ago, nice course with plenty of variety of holes. You are right about the footpaths though, and the scrotes from the local estate nicking balls!?

JayB

Visit site
If you want a midweek round at Chippenham let me know and I might be able to take you round. Nice new clubhouse and course not too bad, money being spent to try and improve it
Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it if I can sort out work

We used to play our RAF station matches there until a few years ago, nice course with plenty of variety of holes. You are right about the footpaths though, and the scrotes from the local estate nicking balls!?

I've heard about issues with locals but I'm sure Filton isn't alone in this issue

If you’re close to Players, not sure why you wouldn’t join.

Kendleshire very busy (so I hear).. others have a mix of pros and cons, but in view of line 1, nuff said!

I'll be honest I've been very close to joining Players on a couple of occasions only to be put off by someone associated with the club.

Just looking again at your list, they seem to be spread out a bit. Where exactly are you as it may narrow it down a bit . For example, if you are near Kingsdown you may want to add Cumberwell into the mix, or if near Chippenham then Manor House or Bowood may fit the bill (but these 2 are a bit pricey!)

I'm based between The Players and Kendleshire, Bowood is around 45min drive. All the clubs om my list are within 30mins.

I've looked at The Manor House but it's a bit more than I'd be comfortable spending on membership

Thanks for all the replies so far, if anyone has anything else it would be appreciated

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've done a fair bit of chasing of said scrotes...:) But in truth 'ball-nicking' was pretty rare.

And the new holes plus the lakes built and dug during my time have come along fine - the new clubhouse was also built...it was a very disruptive time but looks to have laid excellent foundations for the course and the club.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If Kendleshire or Players is nearest then I would be looking at joining either. Both nice courses with 36 holes so plenty of variety. I feel if you are close to a club you will be more inclined to pop in for a quick 9 or use the bar/practice facilities etc

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If Kendleshire or Players is nearest then I would be looking at joining either. Both nice courses with 36 holes so plenty of variety. I feel if you are close to a club you will be more inclined to pop in for a quick 9 or use the bar/practice facilities etc
Best mate is a member of The Players - he used to be at the Kendleshire. I prefer the former though I've only played them a couple of times. He lives in Minchinhampton and given the Minchinhampton tracks a both pretty darned good the fact that he has stayed at the Players club must say something...he could easy afford to move.

JayB

Visit site
If Kendleshire or Players is nearest then I would be looking at joining either

Unfortunately as mentioned earlier Players have a waiting list now and Kendleshire according to their website is completely full in all categories.

Doodle

Visit site
Players Club (can play very long at times & a bit of a boggy slog in winter)

The Kendleshire Golf Club (fantastic course, one of the best in the area, great facilities, but very corporate & busy)

Thornbury Golf Centre (nice wide open course, not a members club, a bit soulless, no temps in winter.

Cotswold Edge Golf Club (an acquired taste! Quirky course, back 9 gets very wet in winter & quite often only the front 9 is open, membership is very reasonable though.

Filton Golf Club (lovely little course, somewhat spoilt by the local scroats & dog walkers, comps few & far between, organisation isn't their strong point!

The Bristol Golf Club (recently acquired by a golf charity, used to be Crown Golf, not a members club, course is enjoyable, nice clubhouse, back 9 gets very wet in winter.

Lansdown Golf Club (boring course, not nice to play.

Chippenham Golf Club (nice course, lovely clubhouse & facilities, I enjoy playing here.

Saltford Golf Club (quality club, nice course apart from the crossover valley on the back 9, lovely clubhouse, well run & organised, superb facilities.

Bath Golf Club (nice mature course, a well run & organised club.

Kingsdown Golf Club (a quirky & very enjoyable course, would be my pick for year round golf, drains superbly well.
nice clubhouse.
a well run members club.

you haven't mentioned Chipping Sodbury Golf Club.
a superbly run club in north Bristol.
loads of comps to play in.
great social scene (pre Covid)
A lovely course, challenging but fair.
downside's are practice facilities could be better & they are too fond of temps in winter.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Go and see what you think of The Bristol if others full...

I've only played it in summer as a visitor...its maturing nicely and has some interesting holes. No idea about club life or winter drainage.

Shouldn't be too far to go
Drainage at Bristol is appalling but they are trying to improve it - or were before the takeover, not sure how much money the new people are investing