Watching Full Swing?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just watched the fitzy/dj one.
Enjoyed it, but then what's not to like about our lad winning the US open.
Will probably dip into a couple of others, but not likely to do the full 8.
Having said that, Netflix might disappear at any moment as I think the logon belongs to my daughter's ex !

D

Deleted member 1147

Ha ha, that’s so true. I get in so much trouble for not listening! Usually eating Sunday dinner after a round, wife and daughter talking about something, I’ve drifted off thinking about a missed putt or horrific drive, then realise they’re both looking at me waiting for me to answer! 🤣

You’d be surprised, Fitz, Dahmen and Finau are the complete opposite to that…
OK, most, but not all 👍

WGCRider

Visit site
I've not watched any of this yet and don't have the time or energy to wade through 500+ pages on the LIV thread. But do have a general question.

I have zero interest in F1 but watched the Drive series I found this interesting partly because of the tactics but also also because of the personalities. Know the people made me more interested in the racing. So I was wondering to what extent is this about getting people interested in the golfers themselves? By way of clarification anyone can get excited about "Tiger vs Phil" cause everyone know them. Similarly "Rory vs Dustin". Whereas even the keenest golf fan may not have know who Scottie Sheffler was 2 years ago - he was even a bit of s surprise selection for the last Ryder cup - now he's world no.1.

So does something like this turbo charge introducing new players to the wider public now that we don't have Dustin, Brooks, Dechambeau etc.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm guessing programs like this probably have a bigger claim in being able to "Grow the Game" than some other claims currently out there? Netflix is huge, and the production of such programs will be done in a way to appeal to a certain demographic (i.e. the sort of people that like drama, emotional music playing in the background while someone shares their sob story, loud music when there us a bit of excitement going on). Let me guess, have any episodes been produced such that, you meet a golfer that discuss their struggles, or we see their current struggles, and then by the time you get to the end of the program, the same player experiences a big career moment and is overcome with emotion? (I've not seen it, so I'm only guessing based on the usual type of stuff I see on TV these days).

It would be interesting to truly know what F1: Drive to Survive has done to the popularity of F1. Since the program started, the number of F1 races in the US per season has shot up from 1 to 3. The F1 Fandom in the US rose 33% since 2020.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
"And then the TOUR calls and yells at you....'cause you're not meant to take your shirt off on a golf course, which makes sense". Because everything else around the WM and no. 16 in particular makes sense....

Only watched first 3 to date, 5 minutes of 4. It's an interesting watch in some parts; yes, the timing / sequencing through the series is off but I understand it why it's like that. My feelings towards some players has changed (Koepka and Schuffler) positively, others not so much - Spieth, for example, doesn't come across particularly well in my opinion (but perhaps will in the USA?). There's moments of apparent insight into the mentality of some of the players, and, (perhaps) due to some very clever editing that may indeed may be a misrepresentation, of hows things are - in particular the sequences between Koepka and his partner. It's hard to know how much sympathy to have for anyone of these millionaires, but he comes across as missing contentment personally and professionally - despite where he now is, I hope he finds his way back.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have watched the first three, all interesting in their own way. I used to like Koepka, respected the way he came up through the European Tour, but have lost all that over the last few years. He didn't come across as likeable, just seemed utterly depressed, and didn't seem to have much of a relationship with his partner either. Kind of sad.

Scheffler comes across as fairly laid back and easy going, although once they started spouting God will guide you and such, I turn off. Appreciate that others will like that, it's just a no from me.

Poults is Poults, no surprises there, agree with most that's been said about him here.

I think it does show that despite the vast sums of money the life is not all glamour, and they are human with fallacies like us. I get that those that have made 30 million or so may not struggle as much as somewhen it comes to missing a cut, but shifting the situation onto some of the lesser known players shows that it is actually a pretty tough life for many of them.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just watched the fitzy/dj one.
Enjoyed it, but then what's not to like about our lad winning the US open.
Will probably dip into a couple of others, but not likely to do the full 8.
Having said that, Netflix might disappear at any moment as I think the logon belongs to my daughter's ex !

Hahahaha

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Thought Dahman and Finau came across really well and will certainly gain some new fans off the back of the series.

Dahman in particular I ended up feeling quite sorry for. All that talent but absolutely no self belief compared to the mindsets of the other players featured.

Koepka was pretty much exactly as I thought he would be, as was Fitzy. That's not to say they're alike at all BTW.

Watched it all now and I'm not sure how many new fans it'll bring to the game compared to the drive to survive series but I enjoyed it as a golf fan.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Have watched the first three, all interesting in their own way. I used to like Koepka, respected the way he came up through the European Tour, but have lost all that over the last few years. He didn't come across as likeable, just seemed utterly depressed, and didn't seem to have much of a relationship with his partner either. Kind of sad.

Scheffler comes across as fairly laid back and easy going, although once they started spouting God will guide you and such, I turn off. Appreciate that others will like that, it's just a no from me.

Poults is Poults, no surprises there, agree with most that's been said about him here.

I think it does show that despite the vast sums of money the life is not all glamour, and they are human with fallacies like us. I get that those that have made 30 million or so may not struggle as much as somewhen it comes to missing a cut, but shifting the situation onto some of the lesser known players shows that it is actually a pretty tough life for many of them.
I’m just watching the end of the Koepka episode, I wonder if he needs to a McIlroy and ditch the Mrs! I wonder if his LIV move was based on the fact he didn’t think he could compete on the PGA tour any more?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ep1, justin Thomas has allergies during the PGA championship, goes to one of the huge pharmacies only seen in the states, buys a bunch of stuff, leaves. Do they not get drug tested? In most other sports they'd be getting approval from doctors etc before taking anything. Justin scoops a whole load of stuff up whilst barely reading a label.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Ep1, justin Thomas has allergies during the PGA championship, goes to one of the huge pharmacies only seen in the states, buys a bunch of stuff, leaves. Do they not get drug tested? In most other sports they'd be getting approval from doctors etc before taking anything. Justin scoops a whole load of stuff up whilst barely reading a label.

I thought exactly the same. Surely you’d check it didn’t contain banned for sport substances….

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watched it all yesterday, found it very interesting.

The Joel Dahman section was interesting, but did they record everyone playing in the US Open, because it seemed very fortunate that they happened to film him when he had is highest ever finish.

sunshine

Visit site
I’ve been eagerly anticipating this.

Settled down to watch the first episode last night. Thomas and Speith was just so inane. Dull. Fell asleep and missed half of it. Will try again tonight.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Ha ha, that’s so true. I get in so much trouble for not listening! Usually eating Sunday dinner after a round, wife and daughter talking about something, I’ve drifted off thinking about a missed putt or horrific drive, then realise they’re both looking at me waiting for me to answer! 🤣

You’d be surprised, Fitz, Dahmen and Finau are the complete opposite to that…

Those three come across so well, hard working, grounded and genuinely nice guys

GBC