Watching Full Swing?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I watched the first 3x episodes last night.
They touched on the Liv series, I listened with interest.
Pro golf has huge rewards for the most successful, but crikey it's a tough life for some.
Huge expense to attend these tournaments globally & if they don't make the cut, they don't get paid.
I appreciate some have sponsors, but even so, it's still tough.
I can understand the temptation of a guaranteed pay day with Liv, especially for some of the older players.
Gutted for Poulter though, I would have loved to have seen him captain the Ryder Cup.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wondering if the title should be changed to ‘spoiler alert’?

Anyway, I’ve watched 5 already, wife was out last night so made the most of it!

Very enjoyable and insightful. The Brooks Keopka one was interesting, he’s so competitive that it becomes a total negative for him when he’s not winning, self destructive. Can see why he’s gone to liv though with no cuts and less competition, it was clear from the interview.

The houses! Jesus wept, unreal. And private jets. Lots of costs to pay out to play, travel etc but these boys are paid very very well for their troubles. I’m guessing sponsorship outweighs actual winnings judging by Joel Dahmen’s house as he doesn’t strike me as a player who earns much through sponsorship. Comes across as a bloody lovely bloke though.

The Matt Fitzpatrick and Tony Finau episodes are emotional for different reasons.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm Ep 3

I'm enjoying it, as with all these sporting "documentaries" it is entertainment first and foremost, so I am taking to more like a fictional series based on real events than a proper documentary

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It’s interesting, but does appear to be aimed at generating new fans a bit like the F1 version.

Poulter came across just as I expected. A bit of a bell end.

Flying on private jets to an event then complaining he wasn’t getting paid. You’re just not good enough anymore mate!

evemccc

Visit site
Saw the YouTube episode one on JT and Spieth as I don’t have Netflix

Vindicated in my dislike of JT and to a lesser degree Spieth, and how they perhaps personify US golf culture which seemingly is preppy/trust-fund/country-club/arrogant —-it’s no wonder why No Laying Up cheerlead for them as that is who Chris Solomon (main NLU guy) and their core domestic constituency is

D

Deleted member 1147

Wondering if the title should be changed to ‘spoiler alert’?

Anyway, I’ve watched 5 already, wife was out last night so made the most of it!

Very enjoyable and insightful. The Brooks Keopka one was interesting, he’s so competitive that it becomes a total negative for him when he’s not winning, self destructive. Can see why he’s gone to liv though with no cuts and less competition, it was clear from the interview.

The houses! Jesus wept, unreal. And private jets. Lots of costs to pay out to play, travel etc but these boys are paid very very well for their troubles. I’m guessing sponsorship outweighs actual winnings judging by Joel Dahmen’s house as he doesn’t strike me as a player who earns much through sponsorship. Comes across as a bloody lovely bloke though.

The Matt Fitzpatrick and Tony Finau episodes are emotional for different reasons.
I read an article earlier, can't remember the journalist, that Koepka may be having buyers remorse when it comes to LIV.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Been dissapointed so far, alot seems staged, the order of the episodes makes no sense, to think the only insight they got from an entire plane journey from two best friends was a staged guess the card...

I doubt I'll make it right through...

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I watched the first 3x episodes last night.
They touched on the Liv series, I listened with interest.
Pro golf has huge rewards for the most successful, but crikey it's a tough life for some.
Huge expense to attend these tournaments globally & if they don't make the cut, they don't get paid.
I appreciate some have sponsors, but even so, it's still tough.
I can understand the temptation of a guaranteed pay day with Liv, especially for some of the older players.
Gutted for Poulter though, I would have loved to have seen him captain the Ryder Cup.

Why would you be gutted for him? He made his choice, it was pretty obvious what the consequences would be.

He chose money over the honour and potential glory of the Ryder Cup. His choice, but he shouldn't expect sympathy.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It’s interesting, but does appear to be aimed at generating new fans a bit like the F1 version.

Poulter came across just as I expected. A bit of a bell end.

Flying on private jets to an event then complaining he wasn’t getting paid. You’re just not good enough anymore mate!
Not watched it yet,but that pretty much sums him up.
Add Westwood aswell.

D

Deleted member 1147

I haven't watched it, and I won't as I don't have netflix. But isn't it to be expected that the players for the most part will come across as boring, selfish, pampered, egotists?
As they've been brought up that way, are basically solitary beings, and their "teams" tell them they are great and should be revered all the time.

CountLippe

Visit site
Just watched the second episode, Brooks is all of us when the wife is talking absolute nonsense and he's just thinking about his swing.

Hoping Poulter doesn't feature much in the rest. Might have to forward those bits.

Must admit that made me laugh.
Agreed on Poulter.

One observation on what I've seen so far, is the narrative around wealth / money.
Extravagant houses / lifestyles and emphasising the prize money.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I read an article earlier, can't remember the journalist, that Koepka may be having buyers remorse when it comes to LIV.
Just watched the second episode, Brooks is all of us when the wife is talking absolute nonsense and he's just thinking about his swing.

Hoping Poulter doesn't feature much in the rest. Might have to forward those bits.

Ha ha, that’s so true. I get in so much trouble for not listening! Usually eating Sunday dinner after a round, wife and daughter talking about something, I’ve drifted off thinking about a missed putt or horrific drive, then realise they’re both looking at me waiting for me to answer! 🤣

I haven't watched it, and I won't as I don't have netflix. But isn't it to be expected that the players for the most part will come across as boring, selfish, pampered, egotists?
As they've been brought up that way, are basically solitary beings, and their "teams" tell them they are great and should be revered all the time.

You’d be surprised, Fitz, Dahmen and Finau are the complete opposite to that…