Scheffler will no doubt be one of the favs

But it’s going to be a very open field imo

Can see someone from down the rankings battling through to take the title

Maybe even a European

Will have a bit of a bet with Hovland and Aberg

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
From what I've heard the rough at Pinehurst is patchy rather than penal. You can catch a good lie as well as a poor one.
Scoring will depend on weather. Rain will mean greens that hold with low scoring. Dry conditions could make for trickier bounces and higher scores.

D-S

Visit site
I’ve played Pinehurst No2 a couple of times and the one thing you don’t have is rough, let alone US Open type rough.
The main defence is the tough greens, not so much upturned saucers more like upturned soup bowls.
Tough course that rewards the best iron players - Morikawa might be a good shout.
Cracking course but personally I prefer No4 or No8.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've taken my usual scattergun approach to gambling and put my pennies on Scheffler, Morikawa, Bryson, Åberg, Homa, Theegala and Connors.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Buzzing for this one.

Different kind of course than we usually get for a us open.
Will be Really interesting to see how the scoring is for this.
Could open the door for an unlikely winner.

IanMcC

Visit site
Scheffler a worthy fav, but Kim or Lowry worth a speculative e/w punt. Morikawa will be top 10, but with restrictive odds I feel.

Springveldt

Visit site
2nd shot course, especially with the greens and how precise you will need to be to your landing spot.

Scheffler or Morikawa for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Will definitely favour a straight hitter so I think that is McIlroy and the likes of Aberg out of the equation. Long but can spray it. Maybe Fitxpatrick as he isn't long but steady and has the pedigree

Springveldt

Visit site
Will definitely favour a straight hitter so I think that is McIlroy and the likes of Aberg out of the equation. Long but can spray it. Maybe Fitxpatrick as he isn't long but steady and has the pedigree
Kinda disagree with you on nearly every point there. 😂 Aberg is one of the straightest drivers of the ball on the planet and Fitzy is sneaky long, he’s got his driver ball speeds in the 180’s now.

I think Aberg is in with a decent chance tbh.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Kinda disagree with you on nearly every point there. 😂 Aberg is one of the straightest drivers of the ball on the planet and Fitzy is sneaky long, he’s got his driver ball speeds in the 180’s now.

Must be the coverage I've seen lately as he's hit a few offline especially under pressure in the last round. Fitz is still nowhere near the bombers

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I have to agree.
Fitz is marginally more accurate off the tee. Maybe that 1 extra fairway will make all the difference.
IMG_7989.jpeg

If we look at SG off the tee and tee to green. Fitz is a way behind the others.IMG_7991.jpeg
IMG_7990.jpeg

Colin and Tommy could be in with a shout if finding fairways is key. I’m not sure Tommy has the minerals to close big comps

IMG_7992.jpeg
I’d say it’s more of a second shot course. The greens are going to be hard and fast, so ball striking and accuracy will be key. Scheffler could bring his B game and win unless someone else has their A game for 4 rounds.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Yep - stats certainly back up what you say

The issue for this course will be the second shot and putting

Morikawa has a great chance

Springveldt

Visit site
Must be the coverage I've seen lately as he's hit a few offline especially under pressure in the last round. Fitz is still nowhere near the bombers
Yeah, Aberg has been unusually erratic but if you watch his game he’s one of the best drivers, I think it’s the strength of his game. His irons aren’t shabby either, he will be there or there abouts.

Fitzy isn’t a bomber but his 180+ ball speed is above Tour average. He was relatively short a few years ago but has worked hard to get longer.

If Morikawa could get faster like Fitzy then he could challenge Scheffler going forward but he’s just giving up too much yardage off the tee for me. He’s got his iron play back but unfortunately for him the only guy better with irons is also miles past him off the tee.

Springveldt

Visit site
I have to agree.
Fitz is marginally more accurate off the tee. Maybe that 1 extra fairway will make all the difference.
View attachment 53666

If we look at SG off the tee and tee to green. Fitz is a way behind the others.View attachment 53670
View attachment 53671

Colin and Tommy could be in with a shout if finding fairways is key. I’m not sure Tommy has the minerals to close big comps

View attachment 53667
I’d say it’s more of a second shot course. The greens are going to be hard and fast, so ball striking and accuracy will be key. Scheffler could bring his B game and win unless someone else has their A game for 4 rounds.
I haven’t looked at the stats much this year, I’m surprised Fitzy isn’t doing better off the tee as any time I’ve seen him he’s had 180+ ball speeds and he’s hitting fairways. Maybe he’s slowed down a bit this year to hit more fairways again?

Also, if Henley is his usually good iron player then he might be a decent e/w bet this week.