TV Series - What Are You Watching?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just awesome Gerry Anderson - theme music is epic. Never realised how bad a man manager Ed Straker is though until I re-watched it. The Aliens go from being desperate to save themselves to trying to destroy the Earth by the end of the series. But truly brilliant TV if almost 50 years old now.
I must have a look as couple of years back I worked for about 6months in the main building they used for the SHADO HQ - it's an ex-ATV building on BBC's Elstree site - they use it for Holby City these days. It's amusing when in UFO they are in the main entrance area especially as I have walked in the footsteps of Ed Straker :)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That'll be Wanda Ventham as Col Virginia Lake. Didn't she get it on with Paul Freeman and Alec Freeman

Fair few people to spot in episodes. George Cole (Minder), Vladek Sheybal (From Russia with Love), Steven Berkoff (Beverly Hills Cop) as well as all the usual Century 21 voices such as Shane Rimmer (Scott Tracy).
And Ed Straker turns up in a Bond film as Klaus Hergesheimer (G Section).
Derek Meddings' special effects are awesome. I had the Interceptor and Shado Mobile dinky toys growing up. Might have to get the box set out again sometime soon.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fair few people to spot in episodes. George Cole (Minder), Vladek Sheybal (From Russia with Love), Steven Berkoff (Beverly Hills Cop) as well as all the usual Century 21 voices such as Shane Rimmer (Scott Tracy).
And Ed Straker turns up in a Bond film as Klaus Hergesheimer (G Section).
Derek Meddings' special effects are awesome. I had the Interceptor and Shado Mobile dinky toys growing up. Might have to get the box set out again sometime soon.

I had the interceptor and Shado mobiles as well

Some of the locations : https://www.gerryanderson.co.uk/5-gerry-anderson-filming-locations/

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched Macdonald and Dobbs again on ITV3 over the last couple of Saturdays. Its fairly light, harmless TV but a slightly different slant on what could be the formulaic crime whodunnit formula. Jason Watkins is very good in it and the contrast with his super slick, modern DCI from London seems to work. Nice views of Bath probably help too.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finished the Queens Gambit last night - very good. Put it on your watchlist.

Tonight finished Queen of the South - Season 4. Looks like there should be a 5. A decent show, if a notch down from the best. A solid IMDB 7 to 7.5 area

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does, by some distance.

Like S.W.A.T. as well as something that doesn't take itself too seriously yet still has some reasonable storylines.

I've cracked through 17 episodes of Chicago Fire. Not bad at all, certainty more meat that Lone Star. Loads more episodes and series to go.

Any other fire-related series worthy?

D

Deleted member 15344

I've cracked through 17 episodes of Chicago Fire. Not bad at all, certainty more meat that Lone Star. Loads more episodes and series to go.

Any other fire-related series worthy?

Unfortunately none of them reach the Chicago level - if you are liking Fire then go onto PD and Med as well

Mandofred

Visit site
Don't know how it popped up, but I've been watching Spirited.....Aussie series from about 10 years ago. Kind of like it after 4 episodes. Watch it while on the treadmill....so I whiz through a little bit of it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Battlestar Galactica. Just loved the scene where the military has to go into the President's ship to remove her as she refused to leave when accused of treason...with all the President's men surrounding her with guns directed at the military - then the President realises that she has no choice and the game is up if she is going to avoid bloodshed - and so surrenders herself and is locked up pending trial.

Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't know how it popped up, but I've been watching Spirited.....Aussie series from about 10 years ago. Kind of like it after 4 episodes. Watch it while on the treadmill....so I whiz through a little bit of it.
A more recent Aussie programme worth a watch if you are interested in Australia and the Australian zeitgeist of today, is Instant Hotel (it's on Netflix). Reality TV and pretty generic format - but with a brilliant Aussie flavour and fabulous settings.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Battlestar Galactica. Just loved the scene where the military has to go into the President's ship to remove her as she refused to leave when accused of treason...with all the President's men surrounding her with guns directed at the military - then the President realises that she has no choice and the game is up if she is going to avoid bloodshed - and so surrenders herself and is locked up pending trial.

Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental ;)

Just finished it - about the third time I have done the entire box set. The ending is just truly epic. Just thought the final five Cylons were pretty crap.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just finished it - about the third time I have done the entire box set. The ending is just truly epic. Just thought the final five Cylons were pretty crap.
Only on S2 E3...I ignored it when first shown as just thought it'd be another Star Trek cloney sort of thing and it is so not Star Trek (as much as I might enjoy Star Trek).

My enjoying such series goes way back when, to Space Family Robinson - oh how the little lad in grimy old Glasgow of the 60s loved that programme when at the same time the US and Russia were engaged in the space race and race to the moon.

Last edited: