TROUBLE AT MILL !!bit long winded

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
And as predicted - uproar! Folks threatening to leave etc blah etc blah. I'm saying - let's just see - it's a 2 month pilot.

That said - anyone got any ideas how to run a Sat morn roll up that can have between 12 and 36 folks turn up - when you have a tee booking system in place.

Your best bet is to get someone to come forward as the designated roll-up organiser. If the committee agree, he could be allowed to pre-book tee-times based on his best estimate of the number of tees needed - he could ask people to text him if they wanted to play. For that to work, he would have to be allowed to book before booking was opened to the ordinary member.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
And as predicted - uproar! Folks threatening to leave etc blah etc blah. I'm saying - let's just see - it's a 2 month pilot.

That said - anyone got any ideas how to run a Sat morn roll up that can have between 12 and 36 folks turn up - when you have a tee booking system in place.

Our ladies roll up is on a Tuesday. Tee times can't be booked anymore in advance than normal times though so it's booked the usual week in advance. The lady who organises it is happy to be at the club for 8.00am when the tee times go live. She books four times in the pro shop with four different ladies names as the main booking on each time. The other spaces on each slot are reserved. We usually manage to get similar times although sometimes it can end up being an hour earlier than we'd choose. Our roll up is only ever done over nine holes though and say 20 ladies turned up (with only 16 slots booked) we can usually get some out on the back nine.

Only other way I can think of is if one person would commit to booking the same time each week from home, next person booking the next time etc etc. eg one book 8.00am and reserve all slots for that time. Next one book 8.08 etc etc

Hope you know what I mean:eek:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your best bet is to get someone to come forward as the designated roll-up organiser. If the committee agree, he could be allowed to pre-book tee-times based on his best estimate of the number of tees needed - he could ask people to text him if they wanted to play. For that to work, he would have to be allowed to book before booking was opened to the ordinary member.

The club may give a trusted member a "super-user" status so that they can access the booking system from behind the scenes.

You can but ask.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks all for suggestions - and it looks like we'll be going down the route of roll-up organiser getting in first thing sheet is opened for bookings two weeks in advance. We can't really book 8 tee times - and I think even 6 would be pushing things. The whole ethos of the club is that you can turn up with a mate and play in the middle of any roll-up - just you and your mate and not part of the roll up. As soon as the tee is block booked that flexibility would disappear. So maybe we'll pre-book 4 tee times then front and back load that block according to numbers turning up.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

With our roll ups on weekdays if you want to play you book individually in and around the tee times then roll up in clubhouse half an hour before first tee time for balls to be drawn for partners, sometimes there are a few too many (3-4) who haven't got their names down but as we go off straight after each other we can normally accommodate this :thup:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With our roll ups on weekdays if you want to play you book individually in and around the tee times then roll up in clubhouse half an hour before first tee time for balls to be drawn for partners, sometimes there are a few too many (3-4) who haven't got their names down but as we go off straight after each other we can normally accommodate this :thup:
seems a bit of a faff,why do we join a members club,for me it was to turn up any day any time and be on the course within 30 mins,play 9 have a coffee and something to eat ( if i wanted ) have a catch up with friends then nip out for a few more holes,that is what i pay my money for not to book a game 2 weeks in advance or turn up and hope i get a game,may as well play at a muni if thats the case.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
seems a bit of a faff,why do we join a members club,for me it was to turn up any day any time and be on the course within 30 mins,play 9 have a coffee and something to eat ( if i wanted ) have a catch up with friends then nip out for a few more holes,that is what i pay my money for not to book a game 2 weeks in advance or turn up and hope i get a game,may as well play at a muni if thats the case.

No not really a faff at all, it works really well. On Weds we have around 40 to 46 playing and Friday's 20 to 25. If you still want to roll up for a quick 9 you can check on line and see if there's a gap or it there are players you can join, or if you want just turn up and take pot luck.
We are a Members club but due to the popularity of our course with society's and County comps it pays to check to see how busy the course is

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Have to say I tend to agree. Aside from competitions or club matches when tees are booked (and the odd society) it's a case of turn up and go up and if there's a queue you can either go off the tenth if no-one is finishing the ninth or wait. Most members know when the roll up groups go out in the week and at weekends and so can either opt to go out before or after if they don't wish to join in. I really like the flexibility to play when I want and not have to stress every week to try and get a time to suit and then consider other options including not being able to play should that time have already been taken

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Which is an argument being made

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have to say I tend to agree. Aside from competitions or club matches when tees are booked (and the odd society) it's a case of turn up and go up and if there's a queue you can either go off the tenth if no-one is finishing the ninth or wait. Most members know when the roll up groups go out in the week and at weekends and so can either opt to go out before or after if they don't wish to join in. I really like the flexibility to play when I want and not have to stress every week to try and get a time to suit and then consider other options including not being able to play should that time have already been taken

you will get a bad name homer if you keep agreeing with me,LP will be on calling you names;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
can i ask why they are bringing it in.

Primarily due to the increasing popularity of the roll up. We have summer start times and the roll up as 3/4 balls couldn't go off until 11:30am, has worked fine until a few weeks ago we hit 38. And that was the tee solid for an hour and others turning up were cheesed off at not being able to go off until 12:30pm - and three groups went to start on 10th and that caused chaos and mega upset for those finishing 9.

So for trial period start times for 2 and 3/4 groups dropped with booking for all introduced from 7:30 to 11:30

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks all for suggestions - and it looks like we'll be going down the route of roll-up organiser getting in first thing sheet is opened for bookings two weeks in advance. We can't really book 8 tee times - and I think even 6 would be pushing things. The whole ethos of the club is that you can turn up with a mate and play in the middle of any roll-up - just you and your mate and not part of the roll up. As soon as the tee is block booked that flexibility would disappear. So maybe we'll pre-book 4 tee times then front and back load that block according to numbers turning up.

I detest this tee bookings system that clubs are all using now. One of the things I loved about private members clubs was just being able to turn up and get a game. With tee booking people just turn at the allotted time then go straight out. Your not going to have people hanging around waiting that enables you to find a 2/3 ball to try and team up with.

Is your club going to have some kind of penalty system for members who book tee times then do not use them. So for someone to block book is risking then getting penalized if all slots aren't used.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I detest this tee bookings system that clubs are all using now. One of the things I loved about private members clubs was just being able to turn up and get a game. With tee booking people just turn at the allotted time then go straight out. Your not going to have people hanging around waiting that enables you to find a 2/3 ball to try and team up with.

Is your club going to have some kind of penalty system for members who book tee times then do not use them. So for someone to block book is risking then getting penalized if all slots aren't used.

Could always join up with them on line and be assured of a game ? :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

We are just going to see how it goes. I'm not going to try and predict outcomes as that is what too many are doing. Yes we might find all tee times between 11 and 12 booked by 2 balls which would scupper the roll up - but I doubt that that will happen

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are just going to see how it goes. I'm not going to try and predict outcomes as that is what too many are doing. Yes we might find all tee times between 11 and 12 booked by 2 balls which would scupper the roll up - but I doubt that that will happen
We had exactly the same situation with the roll up defeating itself with success that caused complaints about access (from mainly new members who wished to play together) and we have ended up with a combination book/roll up window/book situation on non - competition weekend days. The roll up has significantly reduced over the 3 years (and the reason for introducing he booking times is arguably no longer valid! Groups fragmented and organised themselves to book 2 or 3 times, others still turn up for a game etc etc. Many days there are also spaces vacant in the roll up period whilst all the bookable slots went early ie people who might otherwise have played don't.

The great thing about 100% roll up time is that it does tend to ensure the maximum number of people get to play - even if some of them don't get exactly the slot they wanted and end up drinking more coffee and meeting other members. ....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Does your course have the opportunity to tee off from two tees (1st and 10th). When we get large numbers we try and split the roll up over two tees although we go out much earlier than yours and so I can see how it may be difficult with golfers coming round having played nine holes to see several groups on the tee box.