TROUBLE AT MILL !!bit long winded

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had a chat with my playing partner from my club who played in snr comp today,apparently trouble is brewing in the membership that could cause legal problems,a quick background to main point.
When i joined like a lot of private members clubs in the area we had a joining list that you put your name on and waited,i didn't wait long because i knew the people to know,anyway on the night of my interview i turned up shirt and tie nice blazer and slacks and polished black shoes,called into room to be greeted by the three wise men,MR CAPTAIN,the club CHAIRMAN and club SECRETARY,the chap's who proposed me and seconded me had written letters and these were read out for the minutes,after about 20-30 mins of questions about myself and friendly banter i was told my name would be put up in the club house and if no objections from the membership i would get a letter of invitation to join,this i duly got and had to pay my joining fee £1000 and green fees £850 in one payment.
Now jump to the present situation that has now boiled over,to move with the times !! the new sec. brought in a modern approach,that was put before the committee and narrowly got through,stop the interviews,stop the members having a say in who could or couldn't join and let new members pay joining fee over 5 years and pay monthly for the green fee,to be honest the standard of new member is appalling to say the least we have had cars damaged in the car park,a drunken brawl in the games room and the incident that has brought things to a head,6 drunken members (3 weeks ) singing rugby songs at full volume in the bar lounge as the LADY CAPTAIN was entertaining other captains from local courses in a monthly meeting in the lounge next door,the mayhem that followed could now be going to court.
The reason im writing this is some on these pages think golf should be a modern sport without tradition,and jeans flip flops,tee shirts are suitable clothing for the club house,anything goes attitude comes from those who are new to the game,or have never had the honour to be chosen to be a member of a private club,why should clubs that people have waited years to join have to move with the times,the feel of my club seems to have been lost,members who have been the backbone of the club for 40 years are leaving,the reputation has been tainted,and all for what to be seen to be a modern club open to everyone i ask WHY,why SHOULD mine or anyone's club have to do what the golfing press says,modern isnt always the best.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just had a chat with my playing partner from my club who played in snr comp today,apparently trouble is brewing in the membership that could cause legal problems,a quick background to main point.
When i joined like a lot of private members clubs in the area we had a joining list that you put your name on and waited,i didn't wait long because i knew the people to know,anyway on the night of my interview i turned up shirt and tie nice blazer and slacks and polished black shoes,called into room to be greeted by the three wise men,MR CAPTAIN,the club CHAIRMAN and club SECRETARY,the chap's who proposed me and seconded me had written letters and these were read out for the minutes,after about 20-30 mins of questions about myself and friendly banter i was told my name would be put up in the club house and if no objections from the membership i would get a letter of invitation to join,this i duly got and had to pay my joining fee £1000 and green fees £850 in one payment.
Now jump to the present situation that has now boiled over,to move with the times !! the new sec. brought in a modern approach,that was put before the committee and narrowly got through,stop the interviews,stop the members having a say in who could or couldn't join and let new members pay joining fee over 5 years and pay monthly for the green fee,to be honest the standard of new member is appalling to say the least we have had cars damaged in the car park,a drunken brawl in the games room and the incident that has brought things to a head,6 drunken members (3 weeks ) singing rugby songs at full volume in the bar lounge as the LADY CAPTAIN was entertaining other captains from local courses in a monthly meeting in the lounge next door,the mayhem that followed could now be going to court.
The reason im writing this is some on these pages think golf should be a modern sport without tradition,and jeans flip flops,tee shirts are suitable clothing for the club house,anything goes attitude comes from those who are new to the game,or have never had the honour to be chosen to be a member of a private club,why should clubs that people have waited years to join have to move with the times,the feel of my club seems to have been lost,members who have been the backbone of the club for 40 years are leaving,the reputation has been tainted,and all for what to be seen to be a modern club open to everyone i ask WHY,why SHOULD mine or anyone's club have to do what the golfing press says,modern isnt always the best.

Shouldn't such a huge change to the club constitution not have to go before the AGM and get members approval?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Why should someone get in quickly because they know someone and get preference
to join the said club.
You make it sound like you got to the front of the queue quicker leaving others that had waited longer on the list.

D

Deleted member 15344

This should be an interesting thread

Couple of points

1. If there was still interview process in place whose to say theses guys wouldn't have displayed perfect manners etc in the interview ?

2. How can members know how people will act based on their name on the board ?

3. What does the difference in spreading the payments have in relation to people who have caused problems ?

4. Is there not a chance that you could still have all the same entry process and the same incidents could still happen because society as whole has changed

5. Is it not that your club could have suffered financially if the entry rules hadbt been relaxed

6. Can you give your reasons why it's the entry method being at fault for the incidents ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why should someone get in quickly because they know someone and get preference
to join the said club.
You make it sound like you got to the front of the queue quicker leaving others that had waited longer on the list.

It does sound as though due process may have been observed but by queue jumping by knowing the right people the OP has also benefited and so it does seem sour grapes to a degree although I think we can all agree brawls and disruptive and drunken behaviour has no part in any clubhouse at any club

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I feel your pain - note that though tradition can be discarded it is never lost. The danger - for your club possibly - is that those that hold tradition dear - and will fight for it - might give up and depart. And for a members club down that route is despair if not ruin.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our club has introduced. rescinded and introduced joining fees a few times over the last few years and it does leave a nasty taste to those that have paid. As far as I'm aware most have sucked it up or moved on in protest but no-one has ever mentioned legal action

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As has been said before, I know plenty of people who scrub up well, can handle themselves at interview and could stump up the £1800 to join without breaking sweat but give them a couple of drinks with a similar group and the rugby songs and loud behaviour start. I also know some scruffy individuals without a bean who are immaculately behaved. All the club needs to do is issue warnings and either remove offenders with a pro rata refund or deny their membership next year

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This should be an interesting thread

Couple of points

1. If there was still interview process in place whose to say theses guys wouldn't have displayed perfect manners etc in the interview ?

2. How can members know how people will act based on their name on the board ?

3. What does the difference in spreading the payments have in relation to people who have caused problems ?

4. Is there not a chance that you could still have all the same entry process and the same incidents could still happen because society as whole has changed

5. Is it not that your club could have suffered financially if the entry rules hadbt been relaxed

6. Can you give your reasons why it's the entry method being at fault for the incidents ?

if they had spent 30 mins being interviewed a better understanding of the type of person they were,rather than walking in with a deposit and filling a form in
they could well be know to members and not be suitable due to past actions
if they havnt got the money up front the insentive
to join isnt the same as paying monthly
but would be vetted so less chance
not really got a healthy membership prior and healthy bank account
because no one is vetting new members,and only paying a small deposit doesn't stop some less desirable people,if they had to cough up over 2k up front it would narrow down the undesirables

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The simple answer to your question would appear to be that your club needs the money that new membership brings. I'd say it has very little to do with being seen as modern.

D

Deleted member 15344

if they had spent 30 mins being interviewed a better understanding of the type of person they were,rather than walking in with a deposit and filling a form in

And in those 30 mins they could have acted like angels

What happens if no one knows them previously ?
if they havnt got the money up front the incentive

But even someone who has a lot of money could cause just as much trouble - you seem to be assigning the bad behaviour to people with less income ?

Again vetted in 30 mins interview isn't really thorough is it
because no one is vetting new members,and only paying a small deposit doesn't stop some less desirable people,if they had to cough up over 2k up front it would narrow down the undesirables

So basically your attaching the undesirable tag to people with less money -

Congrats on display everything that is wrong in regards members clubs and the attitude that puts people off joining members clubs

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And in those 30 mins they could have acted like angels

What happens if no one knows them previously ?

But even someone who has a lot of money could cause just as much trouble - you seem to be assigning the bad behaviour to people with less income ?

Again vetted in 30 mins interview isn't really thorough is it

So basically your attaching the undesirable tag to people with less money -

Congrats on display everything that is wrong in regards members clubs and the attitude that puts people off joining members clubs

would you join a members club ?? if not why not.and why would people not join a members only club.

D

Deleted member 15344

I am a member of a members club and have been since I took up golf

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
if they havnt got the money up front the insentive

During my stint on the club committee I did loads of interviews and, quite honestly, they all could have been axe murderers for all the a 30 minute interview would reveal. Maybe the answer, in today's world, is to carry on as you do now, but only offer probationary membership for a period while you get to really know them