TROUBLE AT MILL !!bit long winded

D

Deleted member 1740

OP, I reckon after some of the recent antics that's gone on I'd fit right in, any chance of proposing me?? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if it still the same but I was a member at somewhere called Soith Kyme once. No where near the best course I've ever been a member at, but definitely the best club. It was likened to a Working Men's Club, but with a golf course out the back. Pool tables and dartboards in the clubhouse made it far from a stuffy environment. Many a time after a Saturday lunchtime game we would get in the clubhouse for dinner time. By 11 at night and several drinks too many, Id need a taxi home as I could t even see my car, let alone drive it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if it still the same but I was a member at somewhere called Soith Kyme once. No where near the best course I've ever been a member at, but definitely the best club. It was likened to a Working Men's Club, but with a golf course out the back. Pool tables and dartboards in the clubhouse made it far from a stuffy environment. Many a time after a Saturday lunchtime game we would get in the clubhouse for dinner time. By 11 at night and several drinks too many, Id need a taxi home as I could t even see my car, let alone drive it.

Now that sounds like my type of club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Very probably but I was brought up in an old school way when jeans at a golf club especially such a prestigious one would have got you ceremonially flogged on the 18th. We're only five minutes away so will do it tomorrow on the way to Hillside

That's just it. I'd have been the same as you - in fact I thought the same a couple of years back when visiting Castle Stuart to have a look - I was wearing jeans and felt I shouldn't have been. With me it's not just a case of wearing jeans and be damned - my 'upbringing' in golf tells me that I shouldn't be in or around a golf club (private club especially) in jeans as I might be disrespecting the dress code of the club.

I guess to younger or newer players that sounds absolutely pathetic :(

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's just it. I'd have been the same as you - in fact I thought the same a couple of years back when visiting Castle Stuart to have a look - I was wearing jeans and felt I shouldn't have been. With me it's not just a case of wearing jeans and be damned - my 'upbringing' in golf tells me that I shouldn't be in or around a golf club (private club especially) in jeans as I might be disrespecting the dress code of the club.

Not really. if the club has a code you should respect it or else you shouldnt be there. Simple from my standpoint.
Im in my mids 20's - Hopefully that counts as young.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Back to the OP.

Your club needs to be careful or they risk ending up in trouble. As a kid and into early adulthood I was a member of a club that had a 5 year waiting list and all the old traditions like acceptance interviews, no shorts in the clubhouse after 6:00 pm, jacket and tie in the restaurant etc.

Problem was that this started to put younger players off joining and they went to new courses that had a far more relaxed 'modern' environment. Then as the aging membership left the club started offering membership to players from the waiting list. It is then they found that most of of people on the waiting list no longer had any desire to join, as they had settled into somewhere else that wasn't run by a strict out of date regime.

I last played there 5 years ago and the difference in standard of course is no even close to the place I remember and they are constantly doing different things to attract new members.

The point I'm making is that maybe the new secretary has the foresight to see that this may happen to your club, so is trying to I do something to prevent it. Is it not better to try and keep the membership near capacity than letting it drop.

Totally agree - new secretary and new ideas - trouble at mill almost inevitably. We are in a similar situation with our new Business Manager (replacing the retired secretary). He's been in post about a year now and seems to have got the club on a good sound financial standing - lots of new members under a variety of schemes that I don;t know about - if I did I might me miffed so I'm glad that I don't.

Next up and sure to really stir things will probably be a push for a 'full blown' tee booking system, and encouraging visitors with very attractive green fees and packages to play at quiet times. I am one of the members who likes to roll up and play by myself at quiet times and enjoy millionaire golf - and so that's going to test my own acceptance of change.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Castle Stuart is a pay and play course with no club as such, i think you might even be able to wear jeans on the course if you like, as long as you pay your green fee. You can also wear jeans at Royal Dornoch

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not really. if the club has a code you should respect it or else you shouldnt be there. Simple from my standpoint.
Im in my mids 20's - Hopefully that counts as young.

Thing is I won't know what the actual dress code is - jeans might be allowed - but I might not know and I'd still feel awkward. Remember I'm only really talking about such as going to a club and going into the shop - or taking some pics of the clubhouse or course. Yer general non-golfing public would just wander up and not give a toss.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Thing is I won't know what the actual dress code is - jeans might be allowed - but I might not know and I'd still feel awkward. Remember I'm only really talking about such as going to a club and going into the shop - or taking some pics of the clubhouse or course. Yer general non-golfing public would just wander up and not give a toss.

I'd imagine you're more likely of falling foul of rules about taking the picture than wearing jeans, you'd be surprised at the places where you need prior permission (sometimes in writing) just to take a photograph of seemingly non sensitive locations

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was a member of a club where you had to wear shoes and trousers to be allowed into the clubhouse - regardless of golf so I do understand where you are coming from.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Next up and sure to really stir things will probably be a push for a 'full blown' tee booking system.

And spookily as predicted - today a message from our Captain - tee booking system to be piloted from 4th July for 2 months. 2,3 or 4 balls can book tee on Saturdays and Sundays between 7:30am and 11:30am. No starting from alternate start (10th tee) in this period. Bookings at club or on-line opening 2 weeks in advance.

Captain stresses that it is a pilot and accepts that it will be contentious.

Indeed

We'll see.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Funny enough just arrived at Southport and wandered up to find Hillside. Went past Royal Birkdale and I wanted to go in and get a few pics and one of me in front of the famous clubhouse but as I'd driven up in jeans didn't think it was appropriate to go even though I had no intention of using the clubhouse and facilities. We did have a jeans rule for a while and I had the same vibes from older members when HID and I turned up in them. Funny enough it has since been rescinded, mainly by block voting from the seniors at the AGM

When I saw The Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo I had jeans on. Plus I'm pretty sure I had them on to see the great Wall of China, the statue of liberty and ayers rock. And whilst I know these experiences are not as culturally significant as going in a golf club house to take a picture, I think I got away with it . ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
When I saw The Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo I had jeans on. Plus I'm pretty sure I had them on to see the great Wall of China, the statue of liberty and ayers rock. And whilst I know these experiences are not as culturally significant as going in a golf club house to take a picture, I think I got away with it . ;)

Rebel!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I saw Michelangelo's David I had cargo shorts on!!!!!!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And spookily as predicted - today a message from our Captain - tee booking system to be piloted from 4th July for 2 months. 2,3 or 4 balls can book tee on Saturdays and Sundays between 7:30am and 11:30am. No starting from alternate start (10th tee) in this period. Bookings at club or on-line opening 2 weeks in advance.

Captain stresses that it is a pilot and accepts that it will be contentious.

Indeed

We'll see.

And as predicted - uproar! Folks threatening to leave etc blah etc blah. I'm saying - let's just see - it's a 2 month pilot.

That said - anyone got any ideas how to run a Sat morn roll up that can have between 12 and 36 folks turn up - when you have a tee booking system in place.