Trolleys on Tees

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wasn't that long ago I Played a local municipal course only to see an abandoned shopping trolley in a bunker.

Was it a tour one or a stand version?

The tour Aldi version has a superb seating function for when you get a little tired on the back nine.

Excellent pound coin holder also.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you look in the past most links courses allow it as the tees were set in dunes so no path , plus they are hard and dry most all year round.

Inland it’s a different story they can get wet and taking modern trollers on them is a no no.

With all my stuff in my bag plus the weight of the trolley it weighs a ton.
It is just unessesarry to do it ( just walk over).

During winter you only have to look at the wear on the grass when trollies are guided around the greens with ropes it dosnt take long for the grass to suffer.

you pay your head greenkeeper to maintain your course so just do what he asks!
If he says yes ok , if no then no.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why?

What damage does it do? Won't be as much as divots, practice swings and footwork. Not saying your opinion is wrong, just playing devil's advocate here and I'm genuinely interested in why people view it as being wrong or poor etiquette.

You walk on to a tee with your stand/carry bag and put that on the tee so why is the trolley frowned upon???

Its simply additional wear and tear which is unnecessary. The Tee is an area of tightly mown and specially prepared ground why not respect that since there's no practical need to use it as a pathway/trolley park.

Out of the 12,000 or so steps you'll take during 18 holes to walk around the Tee it'll make no difference to you but it could improve the recovery rate of the filled divots etc.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Never any need to take a trolley onto the tee. If it was OK then trolleys and bags would be getting dumped and left, here there and everywhere. And it would then be easy for one to be left in a position that was a visual nuisance to a player about to tee off.

Similar argument to HNSP :)

Besides - all you are doing is encouraging wear and tear on a teeing ground - or if there are slopes up to the level as there are in very many tees the slopes will get worn and damaged. Perhaps less of an issue where the soil drains well and ground is generally firm and dry.

Nonetheless just don't. No need.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

I don't ever take my bag on the tee, whether that is carrying, trolley or buggy. Just the same for the putting surfaces.

I would have thought it helps to reduce any wear to the areas, as a lot of people all walk over the same part rather than like the fairway/rough were the wear is massively spread.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am amazed that people even consider taking a trolley on/over a tee. I have no knowledge of links courses as I live as far away from them as I could get in this country.
On inland courses tees do get damaged by trolleys, If only one trolley went on it a day you probably would not notice it, but continual use would cause damage even in dry weather. I personally wouldn’t even take a carry/stand bag on one either.... why would you need to?
I check my GPS watch at the end of a round and it is usually around 6 and a half miles. If you are walking that many miles how much more effort is it to walk just a few yards more to walk around a tee?
where I play it would take extra effort anyway as several tees have steps and others have low wooden fencing with gaps to walk through but not wide enough for a trolley.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Absolutely 100%.

Do it at my place at the end of the month and I'll kick yer ass.

I do accept it may not be such a big issue at links courses but at parkland it is, also, during the winter in damages the grass on the tees.

you won't see me from the back tee's while i'm down on the reds;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If everyone did it the tees would be in the same state as the paths in winter. But given that the tees are usually raised I can't see a reason why you would ever need to wheel your trolley up there. You wheel it up the path, take your club out, walk up on the tee and hit your shot, then return.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why?

What damage does it do? Won't be as much as divots, practice swings and footwork. Not saying your opinion is wrong, just playing devil's advocate here and I'm genuinely interested in why people view it as being wrong or poor etiquette.

You walk on to a tee with your stand/carry bag and put that on the tee so why is the trolley frowned upon???

Jacko, it must be a muddy parkland thing, I can't think of any links courses this has been an issue on, including the most conservative around.. Muirfield

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed then you ask why the green keeper needs to drive his truck right next to the area there keeping you off with a push trolley?

Ropes everywhere yet the trucks inside? leave that one open

Judging by the muddy paths from greens to tees on some courses, I would have thought trolleys should be kept well away from tees.

On my course you can park your trolley right beside the tees, so why would you want to take on the tee ?

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
I played with guys at my old club that were really strict on no trolleys on tees. At my new club I see people pull the trolley up all the time. Although they are very strict on trolleys on the fringes which I can understand.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why have trolleys at all? Problem solved. ;)

I like to carry. I used to have a trolley but I rapidly got fed up of the faff of getting it in and out of the car and whether or not the course I was playing any particular day was allowing trolleys. It's much less hassle to carry and it's better exercise.

Regardless, nobody in their right mind would take a trolley on the green so I think it's only reasonable to ask the same for tees. Considering the tee is the only place on the course where you can precisely choose your lie and stance why would anyone want to see other golfers dragging trolleys over it? It's just simple care for the course and there doesn't need to be any better reason than that.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Its simply additional wear and tear which is unnecessary. The Tee is an area of tightly mown and specially prepared ground why not respect that since there's no practical need to use it as a pathway/trolley park.

Out of the 12,000 or so steps you'll take during 18 holes to walk around the Tee it'll make no difference to you but it could improve the recovery rate of the filled divots etc.

Surely then we can argue the toss about fairways being areas of tightly mown grass. Shall we make a song and dance about trolleys on fairways?

Personally I respect what your club or the club I'm playing says. Just saw a club getting their knickers in a twist on Facebook and it stimulated debate on there too!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trolleys rarely damage the course unless the ground is wet in some way.

The place any damage would be most noticeable and affect the most number of golfers however would be the tees and greens.

Makes sense to not take trolleys on tees and greens, mostly out of respect for golfers playing after you. Just in case the worst were to happen like a bag falling off etc.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Surely then we can argue the toss about fairways being areas of tightly mown grass. Shall we make a song and dance about trolleys on fairways?
The total surface area of the fairways is significantly larger than that for tees so the proportionate damage on tees would be higher if everyone did it. On wet days, trolleys can also badly damage trolleys (the worst offenders I find are those with smooth wheels that spin more than the slightly treaded ones on my GoKart). In addition, it's hardly a long walk from trolley to tee. It's just plain inconsiderate in my book.

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
You see no issues with trolleys on tees, it's poor form and unnecessary, simple as.
I don’t personally don’t go on the tee with my trolly,and certainly wouldn’t expect to see it in damp/wet condition.but I can only speak for the course I play on and in the summer when bone dry you could ride a steam roller on the tees and it would make absolutely no difference.
not saying it’s correct.