Trolleys on Tees

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Having seen a club get it's knickers in a twist over this I'm actually intrigued as too why. I appreciate that some clubs have it as etiquette that it's not allowed. I just want to know why as I really can't see the issue or the bigger picture.

Taking a trolley across a tee does what?

Players standing about on a tee waiting to hit surely do more damage? Practice swings do more damage. Tee shots do more damage. Players footwork will do more damage. So why do some clubs frown about a trolley crossing a tee?

Both clubs I play at don't have an issue and when I asked a greenkeeper his thoughts he just said it's traditional clubs stuck in the dark ages.

D

Deleted member 15344

The only courses I have seen that don’t have an issue with trolleys on tees are links course but even then not all of them.

The question I would ask is why do you need to take your trolley on the tee ? Some people appear to be surgically attached to their trolley and incapable of walking more than two yards from it - call it laziness

As for why greenkeepers don’t allow - then I would expect its because they believe it will damage the soft tees you get on parkland and heathland courses and as they are the ones with the relevant experience and get paid to do the job it’s prob best to respect their wishes

Last edited by a moderator:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Having seen a club get it's knickers in a twist over this I'm actually intrigued as too why. I appreciate that some clubs have it as etiquette that it's not allowed. I just want to know why as I really can't see the issue or the bigger picture.

Players standing about on a tee waiting to hit surely do more damage? Practice swings do more damage. Tee shots do more damage. Players footwork will do more damage. So why do some clubs frown about a trolley crossing a tee?

Both clubs I play at don't have an issue and when I asked a greenkeeper his thoughts he just said it's traditional clubs stuck in the dark ages.

we are quite a traditional club and you can take your trolley across or onto the tee no problem

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Judging by the muddy paths from greens to tees on some courses, I would have thought trolleys should be kept well away from tees.

On my course you can park your trolley right beside the tees, so why would you want to take on the tee ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The question I would ask is why do you need to take your trolley on the tee ?

Absolutely 100%.

we are quite a traditional club and you can take your trolley across or onto the tee no problem

Do it at my place at the end of the month and I'll kick yer ass.

I do accept it may not be such a big issue at links courses but at parkland it is, also, during the winter in damages the grass on the tees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If everyone starts taking a short cut across a tee say from the previous green, the grass will get worn and surely the tee will be damaged and certainly a smaller area available to use. I don't think it has anything to do with being a traditional club and more to do with good etiquette and keeping the course in good order for all

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never seen it written down but I was told early days to leave my trolley by the side of the tee. Always done it, would never consider going over the tee.

Tees get enough hammer with us walking over them. They don't need any more pressure. Not a big deal to go around them.

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
I can understand it in the winter or times of prolonged rain like ours at the moment.but in summer when bone dry I see no issues in a trolley on the tee.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wasn't that long ago I Played a local municipal course only to see an abandoned shopping trolley in a bunker.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You see no issues with trolleys on tees, it's poor form and unnecessary, simple as.

Why?

What damage does it do? Won't be as much as divots, practice swings and footwork. Not saying your opinion is wrong, just playing devil's advocate here and I'm genuinely interested in why people view it as being wrong or poor etiquette.

You walk on to a tee with your stand/carry bag and put that on the tee so why is the trolley frowned upon???

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
so why is the trolley frowned upon???

May be it's cause I'm a traditionalist, may be that how it was back in the day, guess much like the jeans on the course debate, why ? Why are jeans frowned upon on the course, there is no answer, they just are.

I personally hate seeing trolleys on the tees, as LP said, why would you need to, just don't.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
May be it's cause I'm a traditionalist, may be that how it was back in the day, guess much like the jeans on the course debate, why ? Why are jeans frowned upon on the course, there is no answer, they just are.

I personally hate seeing trolleys on the tees, as LP said, why would you need to, just don't.

Yip. However on the same token you don't have to put your stand/carry bag on the tee, you don't have to take practice swings on the tee but you do.

When a greenkeeper tells me it does less damage to a tee than divots do why is it still such a golfing taboo?

D

Deleted member 15717

Would you drive a buggy on to the tee?

No need for trolleys to be wheeled across tee boxes, leave them to the side and walk the few paces to the tee box.

Next thing, we’ll be questioning why we don’t wheel trolleys across greens

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As has been said, I've played links courses where it's perfectly acceptable to take a trolley on the tee box, in fact, on some it's difficult not to. If I do, and I did a couple of times at
Littlestone yesterday I would not go anywhere near the tee areas of the day. However, I still would not go on the tee box on any inland course.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yip. However on the same token you don't have to put your stand/carry bag on the tee, you don't have to take practice swings on the tee but you do.

When a greenkeeper tells me it does less damage to a tee than divots do why is it still such a golfing taboo?

Well that's the answer for me..... Less damage is still damage, so why add to damage already caused by other means?

The only reason I can see why anyone would even want to take their trolley on the tee is if their GPS is strapped to it, and even then it's not necessary.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Don't see why you would even want to, let alone need to. If you have a a few 100 players all playing from the same two metre width of grass on any given day, and all rolling their trolleys up to park in the same spot, surely you are just adding additional wear to the tee that could be avoided by leaving the trolley to the side. I would imagine that most players would see tracks and many end up wheeling their trolleys into the same area to minimize the additional wear, but creating a lovely set of tracks over your nice tee ground at the same time. It won't take long for the tee to start looking really shabby, it just makes common sense not to do it

A stand bag is a completely different conversation, it sits on a tripod for a few moments, having been placed directly on the turf, rather than being wheeled up over the turf.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The explanation given in the local etiquette flyer for our club is that the tee boxes are, beside the greens, the spots on the course which get the most wear. Taking the trolleys over them would just unneccassarily add to that, especially when it is wet. It might not cause much additional damage, but even a little bit adds up over time.

On most holes there is a path right next to the teebox, so you can bring your trolley up pretty close if you wish. On some holes it just makes a lot more sense to just grab your club and walk up to the tee, because you just double back later anyway.

We also have a very strict rule forbidding to take your trolley up to the fringe of the green or pass with your trolley between the green and greenside bunkers. It is a pet peeve for our club president ... he is known to patrol the course on Sunday mornings, calling out any offenders. It might seem a bit picky sometimes, but our course is one of the best kept in the area and we take pride in it. It does recover from winter faster than any of the surrounding courses and it stays in better condition in both the summer heat and during times with lots of rainfall. And the little things like sticking to the path with your trolley as much as possible do play a part in that.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I imagine, along with keeping the teeing area in the best shape it can possibly be, not having big trolleys in what can sometimes be a confined space means there is no issues of them being in the way.

A follow on from the HSP if you will.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Bigger picture is that its not just 'a' tee, it could be 2,3 or 4 tees on each hole

Playing from the back tees on a nice straight hole and you hit one down the middle with your trolley on the tee, you then set off after it dragging the trolley straight through each tee in front of you adding wear and tear even though you weren't playing off any of those tees!

Of course you wouldn't really do that, no one would, but you cant have a rule that says 'no trolleys allowed on any tee not in use by your group' it has to be 'no trolleys allowed on any tee'