Touchy subject - but is cheating at golf on the increase?

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The rule I often see broken is for free drops away from staked trees, internal fences and the like. It's one club length from the nearest point of relief but the number of people who think it's two club lengths is quite amazing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The comment 'great shot' might have been said with a touch of sarcasm. When playing with mates in the evening, having a laugh after work we often cheat outrageously. When seen from a distance by some other golfers, this must look terrible, but to us, it doesn't matter. Some days golf is not meant to be taken seriously. Medal on the other hand, is for serious golf, and following the rules religiously.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being new to the game I find it helpful if there are those who know the rules about. However, there are ways and ways to remind (advise) others of them, without being a rule fascist.

Met my club captain a few days ago and played a few holes with him - couldn't have been more helpful if he'd tried.

(And I have read The Book! Though only once, so far.)

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Trueblue, glad to see you've seen the light!

The very fact that golf is a game of equality means that all players have to play by the same rules. "True" golfers may not cheat but I think that sadly they're in the minority in the club game. My own personal experience has shown that a lot of players frequently break the rules, albeit usually intentionally, so it would be hard for me to have 100% faith in the average opponent to police his own play.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am seeing the importance of being a scholar of the rules. Can anyone recommend a good, easy to decipher version that will easily fit in the bag or are they all much the same and any compact version will do.

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don't think you can beat the R&A's compact version. It just takes a careful read that's all. I thing you can apply for one on the R&A's website and they'll send one out fairly cheaply.

PS Can I just say how encouraging I find it that the users on this forum (Trueblue not included) realise the importance of following the rules to the book. Of course, I'm not talking about in friendlies but when competing for real it's crucial. IMHO, if everyone started to break the rules whether intentionally or not it would lead to a breakdown of the great spirit in our game.

Rant over.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
GB72,

I have an old version of "Golf Rules Illustated" which is an official R & A publication. Hamlyn publish it. Sure you could find one on Amazon. It's an A4 sized book which is actually much easier to read than the free version of the rule book which the R & A provide because, as the title suggests, there are diagrams, photos and illustration of the rules. Read it once then keep the wee book in your bag for reference.

imanhacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Never heard of that one before - just looked it up 'Portuguese Caddy' Each player is allowed to move the ball without penalty by kicking it. Specify a number of Portuguese Caddies allowed per person per round.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I also think there's a Portguese goalkeeper... This involves declaring that you are about to kick your opponent's ball in a hazard. He then stands in front of said hazard like a goalkeeper and tries to prevent the ball from going in. This is pretty good fun especially if there's plenty of water on the course