Teeing it up in the rough

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally up to you, weight up short term gains vs long term gains and choose.

Are you losing cash? IMO you can’t put money on a game where you tee it up after playing from the teeing ground!

I would probably mix it half and half, any bad-un it’s not worth leaving it..

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
does seem strange, you should still be taking a divot with an iron, esp a short/Wedge.

surly they would be better just using mats?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve heard of local clubs up here
A) teeing up on fairways
B) land on fairway, remove and place in 1st cut (which I don’t mind)
C) using mats on fairways

But I’ve never heard of teeing it up in the rough before
I couldn’t be doing with that mind

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Slight clarification.

The email that was sent out to members saying that fairway protection was now in place only mentioned moving your ball from the fairway and teeing up "several yards into the semi-rough", however, looking at the actual rule, it says "BALLS COMING TO REST ON THE FAIRWAY BETWEEN THE RED LINES MUST BE PLACED OR TEED UP IN THE SEMI ROUGH ON EITHER SIDE OF THE FAIRWAY. PLAY FROM THE FAIRWAYS WITHIN THE MARKED AREAS IS PROHIBITED UNLESS A MAT IS USED."

So mats are allowed. Saying that, I've never seen a single person using a mat on the fairway, and I must have played 20 rounds since this was introduced in November.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Slight clarification.

The email that was sent out to members saying that fairway protection was now in place only mentioned moving your ball from the fairway and teeing up "several yards into the semi-rough", however, looking at the actual rule, it says "BALLS COMING TO REST ON THE FAIRWAY BETWEEN THE RED LINES MUST BE PLACED OR TEED UP IN THE SEMI ROUGH ON EITHER SIDE OF THE FAIRWAY. PLAY FROM THE FAIRWAYS WITHIN THE MARKED AREAS IS PROHIBITED UNLESS A MAT IS USED."

So mats are allowed. Saying that, I've never seen a single person using a mat on the fairway, and I must have played 20 rounds since this was introduced in November.

I take it then the club isn't providing mats?

when we first imposed drop in the first cut the option was also to use a mat, at the time the club didn't provide them and the only guys that had them were those who were Nairn Dunbar members who had used mats for a while. Given the choice mats are far better. if you are middle of the fairway its a much easier shot than from there side in the rough as you are then going over several bunkers.

my club they have a box by the first tee, you take a mat, use it for the round and there is another box at the back of the 18th as you walk off the course to put it back in.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

when we first imposed drop in the first cut the option was also to use a mat, at the time the club didn't provide them and the only guys that had them were those who were Nairn Dunbar members who had used mats for a while. Given the choice mats are far better. if you are middle of the fairway its a much easier shot than from there side in the rough as you are then going over several bunkers.

my club they have a box by the first tee, you take a mat, use it for the round and there is another box at the back of the 18th as you walk off the course to put it back in.

Mats are not provided, and reading the rule this morning is the first time I've even heard mention of them. They may be available from the pro shop, but if they are, it's not advertised.

It is a bit dispiriting when you smack a lovely drive right down the middle, and then have to pick it up and move it to the rough. I've never tried hitting off a mat on the course, but am not a great fan of hitting them off a mat at the range.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mats are not provided, and reading the rule this morning is the first time I've even heard mention of them. They may be available from the pro shop, but if they are, it's not advertised.

It is a bit dispiriting when you smack a lovely drive right down the middle, and then have to pick it up and move it to the rough. I've never tried hitting off a mat on the course, but am not a great fan of hitting them off a mat at the range.

some of our guys don't like the ones provided, so buy their own, but i don't mind them. great for chipping, as you get a good lie every time and from the mat you impart far more spin on a ball so you can fly the ball all the way to the hole and it stops dead even on firm greens.

i can imagine some of the older members love teeing it up in the rough, most of ours would anyway;)

i can see some of them now, 1st, driver, driver. 2nd Driver, Driver, etc etc.

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
My club has compulsory teeing up everywhere except green and hazzards. Its a complete joke in winter so I wont enter any of the comps.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All most all winter rules I find are detrimental to your golf long term. I stop lift clean and place a good few weeks before the season starts just to get used to playing the ball down. Unless there is muck on the ball or its in a real nasty lie (muck etc) I try and play it as it lies throughout the winter

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
All most all winter rules I find are detrimental to your golf long term. I stop lift clean and place a good few weeks before the season starts just to get used to playing the ball down. Unless there is muck on the ball or its in a real nasty lie (muck etc) I try and play it as it lies throughout the winter
I rarely use that rule either, even all the way through winter. As you say, I'll only lift and clean if the ball is caked in mud, or if it's ended up in a deep divot.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

spoke to the pro about it today. no mats available, last one in the shop was sold back in August, and no plans to get any in as no demand for them, most folk are happy just moving it off the fairway apparently.

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
They actually had a competition where people were teeing up every shot?? Sod that!

All the comps are like that from December-March (obviously they don't count for official handicaps).

I can't hit a wedge off a driver tee and anything smaller there is no point as its still going to take a divot, we have suggested mats or placing the ball in the semi rough but some of the members like the fact they can tee up the driver on the fairway and DJ that par 5.

Its even worse when your giving away lots of shots to higher handicaps and they can just tee up every ball :sbox:

Sorry needed to get that rant out :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
All the comps are like that from December-March (obviously they don't count for official handicaps).

I can't hit a wedge off a driver tee and anything smaller there is no point as its still going to take a divot, we have suggested mats or placing the ball in the semi rough but some of the members like the fact they can tee up the driver on the fairway and DJ that par 5.

Its even worse when your giving away lots of shots to higher handicaps and they can just tee up every ball :sbox:

Sorry needed to get that rant out :D
Yeah, I genuinely wouldn't be entering any of those.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We play a lot off Bermuda grass when in the US this is like the ball being on a tee.

It takes a lot to get used to as I seem to get the ball very high on the club face.
this then really affects the distance. (Shorter )

as has been said most players who take a divot will still take one even when the ball is teed up, so this really only helps with the guys who hit woods for second shots.

we tried dropping off fairways ,but it made no real difference to the fairways we just divot mix them every month or so.

Try not to take winter golf to seriously as it’s just a walk in the park.

Cols_Ears

Hacker
Visit site
There are a lot of courses that have similar rules to protect the fairways in the winter when the grass isn't growing (as someone has already said, it doesn't grow in less than 6°). Up here at my club in Aberdeen we use matts from Nov-end Feb and it's prefered lies in Oct and March when all the comps are non counting. It's a 6m competitive playing season here really, although still much fun to be had golfing outside that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
There are a lot of courses that have similar rules to protect the fairways in the winter when the grass isn't growing (as someone has already said, it doesn't grow in less than 6°). Up here at my club in Aberdeen we use matts from Nov-end Feb and it's prefered lies in Oct and March when all the comps are non counting. It's a 6m competitive playing season here really, although still much fun to be had golfing outside that.

where are you a Member In Aberdeen?