Top 25 Heathland Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You cant just rate a course on the fact its got elevation :sleep: Perhaps you need to hand that reviewer badge back :censored::censored::censored:

You do understand what makes a heathland course?

Delamere and Beau ahead of Woodhall, pmsl they are not even close.

I dont, but elevation normally helps to "frame" holes or green complexes better.

For a totally flat course to be brilliant has to go some.

What changes is mr. Doak making - just bunkering, or anything else?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I dont, but elevation normally helps to "frame" holes or green complexes better.

A good golf course will fit into it's landscape regardless of elevation, I do agree that features help divide and "frame" as you say. Use of trees, banks of heather, streams etc all help.

I've not played many heathland tracks, Walton Heath Old, Blairgowrie and Ladybank probably being the closest that Scotland has to heathland courses.

Must make plans and a few road trips!!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dodgy looking heather.;)

The front 9 in Beau has one of the best run of holes in the UK, back nine is maybe only just good. 1 is good, 3, 4 is brilliant, 5,6,7 and 8 also.

I can remember about 9 holes, if that, at Woodhall.

Beau is definitely more "fun".

Fun doesn't mean better though, Perranporth is one of the most fun courses i've ever played, its certainly not the best.

I like Beau, but i just dont think it can even be in the same discussion as Woodhall.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
There's plenty of courses in this list that I'd galdly play every day for the rest of my life.... I need to get to Notts and a couple of the Scottish ones, but I've played most of the rest....

I just love the atmosphere of the place when you arrive at a Swinley, Sunningdale or Hankley. You know you've landed somewhere special!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Heathland courses can look amazing when in full bloom but look nowhere near as nice when out of season.Recently West Hills a prime example.
Some were raving about it but imo it was in poor condition although the greens were very good.
I suppose being in this country courses are in there prime for a short period wether Heathland,Links or Parkland.

One of the 'beautys' of Links courses is that they are in (or near) very good condition, if not 'at their prime', virtually all year round! Whereas Parkland generally has a limited 'very good to great' period. Heathland is in between, but a nearer to Links that 'centre'. And while heather looks wonderful in full bloom, it's frequently very close to being just as hazardous in the depths of Winter. Anyone who watched The British Masters a couple of weeks ago would have heard players and commentators noting how difficult and unpredictable it was to play from Walton Heath's heather which had very little colour and, it certainly seems, they are struggling to keep it to a decent 'strength' (as in health). It's still the wiriest, evilist heather I've ever experienced, but seems in some danger of being overrun by grass (or simply struggling to survve) in many places. Swinley Forest, on the other hand has rather wispy heather, from which a ball can actually be played (if found!) fairly easily. Hankley has the most scenic heather imo, but that's there's so much of it in view - there's just so much space there - and only the occasional chopper to disturb the virtual silence!

My list matches Richard's, unfortunately not for the same 'Swinley clincher' reason!
Oh, and while I've rated Sunningdale New ahead of Sunningdale Old, I'd play Old in preference to New.

Sunningdale New
Sunningdale Old
Hankley Common
St George’s Hill (Red/Blue)
Swinley Forest

Not rated/listed, purely because of the quality of those that are is The Berkshire pair - the best place for a day's Golf in southern England imo (and I DO, well used to, know a member). Two top courses that are both long and short enough to play both with a superb lunch between - and not feel completely knackered afterward, which, unfortunately, is what the Sunningdale pair do to me.

Disclaimer #1 Not played The Hotchkin, so can't rate - but only heard great reviews!
Disclaimer #2 I have assumed that the likes of Gleneagles and Blairgowrie are in another category (because of 'not enough heather?'). Gleneagles Kings would otherwise be a challenger too - and maybe even Queens would! The pair almost match The Berkshire for 'a great day's Golf'! And I agree with JackoG:eek: that Lanark is 'Moorland all day long'!

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A good golf course will fit into it's landscape regardless of elevation, I do agree that features help divide and "frame" as you say. Use of trees, banks of heather, streams etc all help.

I've not played many heathland tracks, Walton Heath Old, Blairgowrie and Ladybank probably being the closest that Scotland has to heathland courses.

Must make plans and a few road trips!!

Yes they do, but my idea of golf course hell is flat, featureless and you can look across the whole course and every fairway. I know some links also have this but they can have other featues that break it up.

Get on the Sunningdale one - that deal may not always be there - the deal we have is about £260 iirc for both courses, food and this time over 2 days etc - the same deal is about £450 plus, I think and both courses have to be played on the same day.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fun doesn't mean better though, Perranporth is one of the most fun courses i've ever played, its certainly not the best.

I like Beau, but i just dont think it can even be in the same discussion as Woodhall.

I know what you mean, but many things will help you to "like" a course.

I really do not try and let my score/performance have an effect, or minimise it as much as possible.

One example, for comparison, is Trump Aberdeen, Murcar and Cruden bay - loved them all.

Trump was so photogenic and certainly had a wow factor, Murcar was a beast and massive challenge but Cruden Bay was the most "fun".

I know from when we spoke at Liphook that you really liked Walton Heath due to its length - length from my perspective can be different, I would probably hate a 7,500 plus course, unless it really had great features as would be very tough for most people so the enjoyment can go out of it, especially if the par 4's all need "wood" for approaches. You would probably love it, but all subjective.

D

Deleted member 15344

I was extremely disappointed with Walton Heath Old - I was expected a course up with Sunningdale, Berkshire, Swinley and St George’s Hill and it fell flat - it was nice but there was something missing about the course , nothing stood out and blew me away. It just didn’t feel a special place like the other top Heathland Courses

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I was extremely disappointed with Walton Heath Old - I was expected a course up with Sunningdale, Berkshire, Swinley and St George’s Hill and it fell flat - it was nice but there was something missing about the course , nothing stood out and blew me away. It just didn’t feel a special place like the other top Heathland Courses

I have nothing to compare it too but I enjoyed it, it had some beautiful golf holes with firm turf and great greens. Only downside was the noise from the motorway at a couple of holes.

Lunch was fantastic too.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have nothing to compare it too but I enjoyed it, it had some beautiful golf holes with firm turf and great greens. Only downside was the noise from the motorway at a couple of holes.

Lunch was fantastic too.

I still enjoyed - it’s a very good course and the greens are superb , just felt when going round there was that something special missing, when I played Sunningdale I didn’t stop smiling same when playing Swinley

Now the lunch discussions are a different debate 😂 Berkshire for me wins

Get yourself down for the trip next year, you will not be disappointed 👍

D

Deleted member 3432

In my experience, it will only sit up in 1 % of times you go in it. The rest you struggle to find it.

(y) I spend rather more time in the heather at Silloth every week than I would like, even if its sitting up I'm still hitting sand wedge.

D

Deleted member 17920

Dodgy looking heather.;)

The front 9 in Beau has one of the best run of holes in the UK, back nine is maybe only just good. 1 is good, 3, 4 is brilliant, 5,6,7 and 8 also.

I can remember about 9 holes, if that, at Woodhall.

Beau is definitely more "fun".
I will give you that BD does have a good run of holes but it does have the elevation that you clearly love 😉

Tom Doak has done some very good changes, re shaped a lot of bunkers but took some out and put some new ones in, taken a vast amount of trees out and totally changed the angle of the par 3 5th hole, when you played the course we had a very windy and rainy day, I get that you can’t remember some holes etc as you were clearly struggling to count that many shots 😝

It’s never going to be a visually awesome course as it’s flat but it’s strong hole after strong hole now and only getting better. Next time you play it I will let you play from the white tees so you can take it all in 👌

D

Deleted member 1147

I heard that the plan was to make the tower behind the third visible from the first tee, is that true?
I can’t envision it being possible!?!

D

Deleted member 17920

I heard that the plan was to make the tower behind the third visible from the first tee, is that true?
I can’t envision it being possible!?!
I know back in the day it was possible, we shall find out when Tom turns up at the end of November, so many rumours we hear everyday are incredible but I wouldn’t put it past him to remove the trees to the left of the 1st green then it really would be possible to see the tower again.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you took the best holes from Beau, Delamere and Sandiway and combined them you'd still not get a Hotchkin :p Played Beau 6-7 times , Delamere and Sandiway a couple and Hotchkin twice and it starts strong and just gets better and better and I've probably played it the worst of all 4 but I've come off grinning both times , bring on 2019 for my next visit . :D:D:D

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I will give you that BD does have a good run of holes but it does have the elevation that you clearly love 😉

Tom Doak has done some very good changes, re shaped a lot of bunkers but took some out and put some new ones in, taken a vast amount of trees out and totally changed the angle of the par 3 5th hole, when you played the course we had a very windy and rainy day, I get that you can’t remember some holes etc as you were clearly struggling to count that many shots 😝

It’s never going to be a visually awesome course as it’s flat but it’s strong hole after strong hole now and only getting better. Next time you play it I will let you play from the white tees so you can take it all in 👌

Awkward question, but how many other heathland courses that you have played would you put above Woodhall?

For me, without a shadow of a doubt:-

St. Georges Hill
Sunningdale old
Sunningdale new
Swinley
West Sussex
Alwoodley
Camberley heath

Arguable, but think I would:-

Berkshire (blue)
West Hill
Woburn (Marquess)
Broadstone

Borderline:-

Liphook

Woodhall is deffo better than Ladybank, though.

I havent played any of the Walton Heaths yet, Worplesdon, Woking, Berkshire (red), Tandridge, Blairgowrie or Hankley.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played for over 30 years and I can honestly say I have never played a heathland track :eek:

I do know I would enjoy the experience immensly, I just have no interest in travelling any distance for a round of golf.
Do the double at Moortown and Alwoodley, both Leeds. Just a couple of hours from you, approx, and both an absolute pleasure. They have an offer on inc accommodation.

D

Deleted member 15344

Awkward question, but how many other heathland courses that you have played would you put above Woodhall?

St. Georges Hill
Sunningdale old
Sunningdale new
Swinley
West Sussex
Alwoodley
Camberley heath

Berkshire (blue)
West Hill
Woburn (Marquess)
Broadstone

Liphook

I havent played any of the Walton Heaths yet, Worplesdon, Woking, Berkshire (red), Tandridge, Blairgowrie or Hankley.

😲
Marquess isn’t Heathland - pure Parkland and nowhere near the level of Hotchkin

Sorry but some of those courses nowhere near the level of Woodhall

Camberly , West Hill , Liphook

D

Deleted member 17920

St. Georges Hill
Sunningdale old
Sunningdale new
Swinley
West Sussex
Alwoodley
Camberley heath

Berkshire (blue)
West Hill
Woburn (Marquess)
Broadstone

Liphook

Above Woodhall from that list.

Sunningdale Old and Swinley are better on the eye than Woodhall and I put them both above the Hotchkin as a personal view.

Then next

West Sussex is lovely but it’s not that difficult and I think West Hill is on par with it, same as Alwoodley.

Then lower down the scale

Camberley, Berkshire blue are very good but it’s not even in the same league as Sunningdale Swinley etc.

Haven’t played St George’s Hill yet but I have an invite next year from a member so I will let you know 😉

And I don’t think you will like Walton heath as it’s also flat 😝