Top 25 Heathland Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
What ones have you not played Sam?
The two in Scotland and Aldeburgh.

My main negatives (if there are any) for some of these heathland courses are that they just aren’t long enough.

Swinley was SO good the length was irrelevant.

That’s why I love Notts, Walton heath, hankley and Woodhall so much. They have tees to cater for every single standard including tour standard.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd have about 10 of them courses ahead of Woodhall out of the ones Ive played and also others such as Delamere, Lanark and Beau.

Will still be interested to see how much Doak does to improve it, but for me Woodhall seems too flat. Can you have a flat heathland????

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd have about 10 of them courses ahead of Woodhall out of the ones Ive played and also others such as Delamere, Lanark and Beau.

Will still be interested to see how much Doak does to improve it, but for me Woodhall seems too flat. Can you have a flat heathland????
Beau better than Woodhall?!? What have you been smoking.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Lanark also isn't heathland. It's moorland all day long!

D

Deleted member 15344

I enjoyed Beau but didn’t think it was anywhere near the level of Hotchkin. I would have Blackmoor ahead of Beau - Beau is nice with superb greens but whilst I think it should be Top 100 ( like Blackmoor ) wouldn’t put it near those top courses. I actually thought Purdis Heath was nicer but just a few holes below the top standard

D

Deleted member 17920

You cant just rate a course on the fact its got elevation :sleep: Perhaps you need to hand that reviewer badge back :censored::censored::censored:

You do understand what makes a heathland course?

Delamere and Beau ahead of Woodhall, pmsl they are not even close.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I've have to agree 100% to that statement. Heathland for me too. Mixture of both worlds! Member at a parkland due to location mind.

I love Thorpeness in Suffolk!! Only played it once but would love to go back and give it another go after a rather poor 26 points :)!

Love Thorpeness, without doubt the most penal golf course I have ever played. Even good drives can find disaster. 26 points would have got you 4th place on one of the days we played it last year !! We play it annually (3 days) and on average 30 points a day will see you in the top 5.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I was looking at the descriptions of moorland and heathland courses and I would say that we are moorland but also has some heathland to it.
I picked up these descriptions from an old GM discussion.
https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/whats-the-difference.6735/
  • Inland - anything more than 2 miles from the sea.
  • Parkland - looks like an urban park - manicured, flat, all cut grass and every feature made rather than natural.
  • Heathland - dry course usually sandy and undulating with pine trees, gorse, heather characteristic.
  • Moorland - high elevation with lots of heather on dry areas and rushes in damp areas.
  • Woodland- erm....holes cut through a forest.
I also found this
https://www.thoughtco.com/heathland-course-1564176

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of the ones i've played....I'd have to say Sunningdale New was the better test, but if I could play one tomorrow , it would be the Old. After those two, i'd go for Woodhall Spa, then Alwoodley.

I see Ganton and Formby were discounted because of the 'are they links or heathland' debate , and for me, these would slot in in between Sunnindale and Woodhall in my list.
Splitting hairs though. they are all great courses.

For those passing through Cheshire, if you want some heathland golf at a decent price then head for Sandiway. Delemere get the plaudits, but imo, Sandiway is just as good.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I was looking at the descriptions of moorland and heathland courses and I would say that we are moorland but also has some heathland to it.
I picked up these descriptions from an old GM discussion.
https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/whats-the-difference.6735/
  • Inland - anything more than 2 miles from the sea.
  • Parkland - looks like an urban park - manicured, flat, all cut grass and every feature made rather than natural.
  • Heathland - dry course usually sandy and undulating with pine trees, gorse, heather characteristic.
  • Moorland - high elevation with lots of heather on dry areas and rushes in damp areas.
  • Woodland- erm....holes cut through a forest.
I also found this
https://www.thoughtco.com/heathland-course-1564176

100% moorland.

D

Deleted member 3432

I can't remember playing a heathland course that I haven't enjoyed

I have played for over 30 years and I can honestly say I have never played a heathland track :eek:

I do know I would enjoy the experience immensly, I just have no interest in travelling any distance for a round of golf.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have played for over 30 years and I can honestly say I have never played a heathland track :eek:

I do know I would enjoy the experience immensly, I just have no interest in travelling any distance for a round of golf.

Why would you when you play at a wonderful links like yours!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Apart from the beauty of the courses I've been to, it's the fact that the ball just sits up on the wirery grass just begging to be hit whereas in my neck of the woods the parkland grass allows the ball to sink down more

D

Deleted member 3432

Why would you when you play at a wonderful links like yours!

A very astute observation sir. In fairness if I were a closer to some of these heathlands I would be giving them a go.

Much easier to travel north from up here and I don't take the clubs when we head north on holiday, although we do have a reciprical with Blairgowerie.

D

Deleted member 3432

Apart from the beauty of the courses I've been to, it's the fact that the ball just sits up on the wirery grass just begging to be hit whereas in my neck of the woods the parkland grass allows the ball to sink down more

Ball sits up in the heather o_O

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Beau better than Woodhall?!? What have you been smoking.

Dodgy looking heather.;)

The front 9 in Beau has one of the best run of holes in the UK, back nine is maybe only just good. 1 is good, 3, 4 is brilliant, 5,6,7 and 8 also.

I can remember about 9 holes, if that, at Woodhall.

Beau is definitely more "fun".

Last edited: