Titleist Demo Day

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Back form the Titleist day at Silvermere. Nightmare journey home and took nearly 90 minutes to do a 25 minute journey. That aside another great opportunity so thanks to MikeH, GM and Titleist. We were split into two groups and while one went to hit balls and try the full range of clubs from drivers through to wedges, the other had the chance to try the new Scotty Cameron GoLo range, due out in April.

These are fantastic and although pricey they are certainly worth looking at. We also had a chance to learn more about the new Pro V1 and Prov V1x, the history and fitted for our best version for our own games. Although some were brave enough to take the Scotty putters outside onto the putting green many opted to stay indoors and use the carpet as a test green. I did both and all of them have such a pleasant feel off the face. They have even introduced counter balanced versions.

When the time came to swap we wandered to the top tier of the range which had ten bays roped off, four of which had GC2 launch monitors. I started by trying the AP2 irons initially in a DG300 R flex and then S300. However once I moved to the AP1, things really got interesting. With an XP95 - S300 shaft I was getting 4mph more than I was with my I25 and an extra 5 yards with the 6 iron and better dispersion

With the driver I was pretty happy with my G25 and not too keen to try the 915 range but when in Rome. After hitting a few, the fitter gave me a D2 set to B3 and an Alida Rogue Black S70 shaft. Wow. Longer by 7 yards than my Ping, better spin rates and I could keep it on the golf course. I have to say, I was swinging well on the day so it was a good day to try the comparison. I think even Mr Harris was impressed with an AP1 4 iron I swept away long and high with a touch of draw. I even hit a 3 wood off the mat (not something I do with the Ping) and nailed that. So easy to hit

Finally, I asked about Vokey wedges. There is now a huge range in different lofts, bounce and grinds (how it sits and acts with the turf/sand). I told the fitter about the Ascot bunkers (not too much sand) and how it's soft and lush in winter and gets very firm and bare in places in the summer. We opted for F grind 52 (8 degrees of bounce) and 58 (11 degrees) options in a K grind http://www.vokey.com/wedge-selection/wedge-selection-guide.aspx I was nipping these clean off the mat to a target about 50 yards away and getting most within a 10-12 yard circle with ease. with both wedges

I was very impressed with the new range and had always been under the popular misconception that Titleist were aimed at the better players. This range is far more playable and would appeal to a huge cross section of abilities. I do think the driver in particular needs a fitter to help find the right setting for you, but once that's found I'd be reluctant to tamper too much from there.

All in all a fantastic way to spend an afternoon and there was a goodie bag of hats, new Pro V1's or V1x's depending on your fit and some smart alignment sticks for range use. Thanks again to Titleist and GM. Good to put some faces to names and catch up with a few old stagers. Another great opportunity and while there was food for thought in terms of my own clubs versus the Titleist offerings, I'm doubtful I can justify making the changes at the present time. However if you are thinking of new clubs for the start of the season these are definitely worth a look

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice write up and what a great day. I posted this in the old thread but will cop here too as you've done a review Homer.

"Just wanted to say a massive thanks to GM Titleist and Silvermere for today. Had a great time. Shame the weather got in the way of fully trying the Scottys but didn't really matter.

The 2015 Titleist range is fantastic. I have no Titleist clubs in my bag at the minute but after today I want a D3 driver, 915f fairway a set of 714cb and a Vokey gap wedge :) so yah fair to say I was impressed.

One quick question. Did anyone get alignment sticks in their goody bag? I saw the GM tweet when I got home that showed them but I didn't see any there?

Thanks again (although my shopping list has really upset the wife, haha"

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope. Wish I could justify the cost of a set of AP1 irons and a 915 driver but I can't so I'l have to make the I25's work better for me. Lovely clubs though and if I got some cash from somewhere I'd reconsider but not for a while me thinks

Homer, I've tried a 915 on the course alongside my G25. Although the 915 was longer, it was no where near as forgiving or straight as the G25. Its a nice club but not in the same league for us mortals.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Many thanks from me as well to Mike and the GM team and the Titleist crew. I have Titlelist hybrids and wedges in my bag, but the 915 and SM5 ranges are just so much better. As for the AP1 irons and the driver - I think I need to remember where the money box is hidden!!! If anyone gets the chance to try the line-up at one of the many Titleist demo day around the country - do so, you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Homer, I've tried a 915 on the course alongside my G25. Although the 915 was longer, it was no where near as forgiving or straight as the G25. Its a nice club but not in the same league for us mortals.
my golf is very much that of a mere mortal - but with the right set up the 915 D2 is superb

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
Nice write up Homer.

I had a fab time too, was great to meet some forumers (sorry rubbish with names but the guys from Essex and Sutton seemed not to nod off the most at my ramblings). Also the guy in the end bay behind me was properly ripping it with pretty much everything! Good work!

I hit everything I wanted really, completely forgot about hybrids, although not really looking for that anyway at. I have to say I found the AP1's so nice to hit, if not a little chunky in looks. Also the MB's were gorgeous, just punishing of miss-strikes!
The 915 D3 is a BEAST! Really enjoyed hitting that. Luckily I the head honcho Matt Johnson dialing me in and were getting some solid numbers (although cold, wet and range balls). I love the acoustics of impact with the 915, so solid and powerful. Miss hits were still flying really well too and spin was kept in check well. A VERY solid driver and one on my list for further investigation when I next upgrade!

The Golo's were beautiful too, the new grips are lovely. Finding out about the ProV1 was really interesting too. The goody bag was stuffed full - Cap, t-shirt, putting rings, key ring, iphone cover, alignment sticks and a dozen PV1x's for me! TBH without all that was still a fantastic day, so thanks to all involved. Can't wait for the next one! :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Homer did you get to try the vokeys off proper grass? That k grind really comes into its own when the ground is a little soft.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah nice write up Homer and it was good to catch up with you and some other familiar faces today ie MashieNiblick (Mike) and BlueinMunich (Richard).

I was in the bay next to BIM and whatever he was using must of been a good because he was bombing drives down the range with a nice touch of draw :thup:

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
I was the guy from Sutton Sybez :)

Thanks for the go on the Flightscope. What a great bit of kit. With that, the D3, the 915 3 wood, the CB's and the Vokey I now need I think my missus will be well chuffed :)

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same club and shaft as I've just paid out for homer. Mines set to D4 as needed a touch more height. It's a beast, measured one at 272 yards down my 14th! Happy days!