Measuring Distances

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wool will stretch when wet. ;)

As an old school oldie I often wonder if folk make automatic choices when they use measuring distances.

60 years ago as a low handicap junior I would notice the yardage from the measured tee box [ ie ten yards in front of the marker]
I would have a rough idea of the length of my drive taking into account line, wind speed, wind direction and of course how well I had hit it.
I would then look at the type of shot I wanted to play to the green taking into consideration all of the above [ ie big drawn with the wind 9 iron, straight 8 iron or punchy low held up cut 6 iron ] plus of course how the ball is lying.
All of this happened automatically without me taking any additional time or thought.

Do folk nowadays go .......measures 162.4 yds to the green .......it must be an 8 iron.
Do any folk score better when not using a measuring device.
If it’s 162 to the pin it’s not 8 iron for most players.🤣
Devices are really good but they only help if you know how far you hit each club.

I deffo score better when I know my yardages ,it takes the guesswork out of it imo.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The guys on tour will normally have 9 yardages for each wedge.
Your typical amateur doesn't have the time or the patience to practice that much so often won't even bother trying.
But.....
If the typical amateur learned how to hit the ball 50 yards, that would be a good start.
Say 56 Deg SW, 9 O'clock, middle of the grip, goes 50 yards, that could be used as a base.
So if it's 45 yards that might be 56 SW 9 o'clock, bottom of the grip.
Or if it's 60 yards that might be 52 GW 9 o'clock, middle of the grip.
And so on.
But that takes practice and most ams can't be bothered, they'd rather buy more wedges.
The next time you see a tour player hit a pitch shot, take note of the length of swing back and through and how much they are choking down on the grip.
For example...

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it’s 162 to the pin it’s not 8 iron for most players.🤣
Devices are really good but they only help if you know how far you hit each club.

I deffo score better when I know my yardages ,it takes the guesswork out of it imo.
Biggest difference to my golf in one step was getting a measuring device. GPS in my case. I was amazed at how bad my estimation of distance was even on my home course with distance markers to the front of the green.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Biggest difference to my golf in one step was getting a measuring device. GPS in my case. I was amazed at how bad my estimation of distance was even on my home course with distance markers to the front of the green.
We always have a guess before we measure.
Gets your eye in somewhat ,we’re getting good at estimating distance.

sunshine

Visit site
But that takes practice and most ams can't be bothered, they'd rather buy more wedges.

Sorry that's quite an ignorant statement.
Most amateurs don't have the time to practise, because golf is just a hobby and they have other priorities.

sunshine

Visit site
Good reply, it seems like estimating distances is a skill that is being lost.

Are you generally close with your estimates ?

My estimate can be 10-15 yards out. For me the wedges is the biggest difference.

For example on Saturday I estimated I needed to play a 60 yard wedge shot. I struck it exactly how I wanted to and it flew past the pin. I was wearing my GPS watch and when I got to the green I measured it was 52 yards to the flag and I had hit it 61. If I was taking it more seriously I would have measured the flag with my laser and hit a shorter swing (no guarantee it would have worked).

If I have estimated 190 instead of 180 and flown it 10 yards long, I'm not that bothered because I'm not consistent enough to hit the ball the precise distance.