Measuring Distances

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Picking up new wedges tomorrow. Anyone got a nifty way to measure how far I hit them? Hoping to do the clock face thing.
Not got a rangefinder. Only got a shot scope watch. Was hoping to go up to the club's driving range but I'm not confident the flags are correctly measured and don't think my watch will measure correctly on the range due to it not being an actual hole. I could pace it out but may not be able to due to others using the range.

Could go to a driving range with top tracer but would rather hit off grass.

Another alternative is I could just take them out on the course and work it out as I play.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Picking up new wedges tomorrow. Anyone got a nifty way to measure how far I hit them? Hoping to do the clock face thing.
Not got a rangefinder. Only got a shot scope watch. Was hoping to go up to the club's driving range but I'm not confident the flags are correctly measured and don't think my watch will measure correctly on the range due to it not being an actual hole. I could pace it out but may not be able to due to others using the range.

Could go to a driving range with top tracer but would rather hit off grass.

Another alternative is I could just take them out on the course and work it out as I play.
Pace it out, if there are other people there ask one if they have a laser they probably will.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Some good ideas. Pacing out seems like the best option. Might get a cheapo rangefinder from Amazon. There are some that would be the same price as 3 or so visits to a range with top tracer.

Not sure my accuracy warrants an expensive one. Just need to know roughly how far I duff them.

Would need to wait until the season starts to hit off grass on the course. Still a good idea though.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Its worth getting a Prgr. The distance measurements are decent but you’ll also have a consistent measuring device for your range sessions too. Will save you in the long run if you are using top tracer to do it

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Its worth getting a Prgr. The distance measurements are decent but you’ll also have a consistent measuring device for your range sessions too. Will save you in the long run if you are using top tracer to do it
And it'll be good for any speed training, if I ever get to do it. Hadn't even considered that as an option.

Albo

Visit site
Get a ball of wool and a knitting needle!
Stick the wool on the needle and the needle through the ground, tie the end of the wool round the ball, hit then mark in different colours depending on swing/club on the wool where it goes out to, measure at your leisure when you get home. Added benefit you can use a premium ball on the range and just haul the wool in after ever shot. Win win.
Edit to say if you are really serious about your numbers, get fit for your wool at an independent fitter

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
And it'll be good for any speed training, if I ever get to do it. Hadn't even considered that as an option.
Absolutely! You can just take it with you and belt your last 5 balls irrespective of training. I’ve got a skytrak which is awesome but got the Prgr for speed training. I’ve found the nearly identical carry distances. The Prgr definitely does ball speed better and I can’t use the skytrak for swing speed as it’s calculated…. Badly

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Stick the wool on the needle and the needle through the ground, tie the end of the wool round the ball, hit then mark in different colours depending on swing/club on the wool where it goes out to, measure at your leisure when you get home. Added benefit you can use a premium ball on the range and just haul the wool in after ever shot. Win win.
Edit to say if you are really serious about your numbers, get fit for your wool at an independent fitter
I'm an Aberdeen fan. If I take wool anywhere near the club I'll never hear the end of it 🤣.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If your club doesn't have a suitable sort game area are there any others locally you can visit for a morning/afternoon

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site

Do you find the PRGR accurate for wedge shots, even knockdown shots 50-100 yards? I've got one and use it for speed training but never considered using it for this.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Planimeter app is useful.....you can use a satellite image and plot 2 points to get an exact yardage.....I use it on my practice ground for wedge shots to mark out 50, 75 yards etc.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Do you find the PRGR accurate for wedge shots, even knockdown shots 50-100 yards? I've got one and use it for speed training but never considered using it for this.
I’d say so but I’ll get back to you. I’ll be doing some wedge measurements alongside my skytrak over this week. It’s usually the big stick where the cheaper devices start to show slight differences.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wool will stretch when wet. ;)

As an old school oldie I often wonder if folk make automatic choices when they use measuring distances.

60 years ago as a low handicap junior I would notice the yardage from the measured tee box [ ie ten yards in front of the marker]
I would have a rough idea of the length of my drive taking into account line, wind speed, wind direction and of course how well I had hit it.
I would then look at the type of shot I wanted to play to the green taking into consideration all of the above [ ie big drawn with the wind 9 iron, straight 8 iron or punchy low held up cut 6 iron ] plus of course how the ball is lying.
All of this happened automatically without me taking any additional time or thought.

Do folk nowadays go .......measures 162.4 yds to the green .......it must be an 8 iron.
Do any folk score better when not using a measuring device.