Titleist 915 D3 - Is it worth £300+

3puttmaster

Medal Winner
Visit site
Interested on your thoughts guys/gals with regards the ridiculous prices that drivers seems to be going for these days.

I am looking to change my Ping G10 driver, which I've had for 7 years, to a new one. I hit the G10 well (hitting 65% of fairways) and on average about 250 - 260 yds. However, I've joined a club who's main course is quite long (7000+ yds) and am finding that I'm hitting hybrids into a lot of par 4's and 5's. It's putting a lot of pressure on my game and I need some extra length off the tee to hopefully make life a little easier.

As we all know there is a plethora of drivers from all the big manufacturers out there and I've been doing my homework on the various models etc. I really like the look of the Titleist 915 D3 and next on my list is to try it out, plus a couple of others with flightscope at the club that does fitting.

What really concerns me though is how much the cost of a decent driver is at the moment; all of them seem to be £300+. So....has anybody made a similar change recently and gained 15-20 yards off the tee and found out it is worth the expense?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Price doesn't equate to best for you. If you're keen to change, try them all first. And being at a long course, changing your driver won't make that much difference. If you think about it, if you pick up 15yds with a new driver you've only improved your next shot by one club. You're looking at picking up 30yds before its worth it.

And then consider what 15-30yds would do to the % of fairways you hit close to the edge of. And the 35% you miss, where will the ball finish?

Unless a new driver is going to give you a tight dispersion and 30yds, don't bother. Accept that your new course means you'll be hitting longer 2nd shots.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Funny, I'm just off watching Rick Shiels on Youtube testing that driver against a few others. He was carrying it 280 yards with a near 300 yard finish consistently. On good crack I can go 260 or so and would melt on the tee if I could do a 280 carry. I guess technique is helping. Other reviewers tends to hit all drivers they test the same distance. Strange one really.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have always tried to hit both the latest model and last years version. You will be amazed how similar they can be yet last years is half the price

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I have always tried to hit both the latest model and last years version. You will be amazed how similar they can be yet last years is half the price

To be honest I'm not amazed in the slightest, as if anyone gets more than 5 yards improvement from one model to the direct replacement, then I'd be amazed.

D

Deleted member 16999

I went from a 913 to a 915, alcohol was to blame :whistle:, however, the 913 was bought off the shelf the 915 was fitted by Titleist, I've got all my Game Golf Stats for the last 14 months and when comparing like for like courses, "apparently" I've gained 10 yds on some courses, overall there is currently no difference in overall average (228 yds), I used the 913 for 10 months and have used the 915 for 4 months, my last 15 rounds which have all been on Summer Course has seen my average Drive rise to an average of 251 yds, so hoping this continues. as an aside my 915 3 wood compared to 913 3 wood shows an increase of 22yds on all rounds played.
So to answer your question, I love my 915 and if I hadn't of got it I'd still be happy with my 913 and wouldn't be any the wiser:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What makes you think the 915 is going to make you longer? 250-260 yards with 65% fairways is pretty impressive. I doubt £300 is gonna improve you much more than that. 7000 yards is just a tough slog, too tough for most club golfers

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have a £300+ driver.....
Would I have one if I hadn't won one and had it replaced when it developed a crack..?

Not a chance!

I'd be looking at last year's models, the year before's or 2nd hand.

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interested on your thoughts guys/gals with regards the ridiculous prices that drivers seems to be going for these days.

I am looking to change my Ping G10 driver, which I've had for 7 years, to a new one. I hit the G10 well (hitting 65% of fairways) and on average about 250 - 260 yds. However, I've joined a club who's main course is quite long (7000+ yds) and am finding that I'm hitting hybrids into a lot of par 4's and 5's. It's putting a lot of pressure on my game and I need some extra length off the tee to hopefully make life a little easier.

As we all know there is a plethora of drivers from all the big manufacturers out there and I've been doing my homework on the various models etc. I really like the look of the Titleist 915 D3 and next on my list is to try it out, plus a couple of others with flightscope at the club that does fitting.

What really concerns me though is how much the cost of a decent driver is at the moment; all of them seem to be £300+. So....has anybody made a similar change recently and gained 15-20 yards off the tee and found out it is worth the expense?

I swapped my 913D2 head for a 915D3 head for 18 holes a couple of weeks back. In comparison the 915 didny go any further than my 913 but there was more forgiveness on off centre hits. By this I mean that there wasn't a lot of distance lost on an off centre hit with the 915 head.

Spoke to the pro about it when I came back in and he agreed that the forgiveness on off centre hits was one of the big differences between 913 and 915.