The Whisky Thread

Ian_George

Visit site
Thanks, but not everybody agrees with your statement.
In fact, the general consensus is that it DOES change, though very much slower than wine does. The value of 'bottle maturing' spirits is, however, apparently marginal at best - at least taste-wise.

RichA

Visit site
Having seen the screw top I eventually got to see its just a Double at 5cl........ at that price it's defo not for drinking!! Good luck at the auction... let us know how it does.
Ha. I hadn't even noticed it was a miniature.

RichA

Visit site
Just opened a bottle of Talisker 10yo that I was given yesterday. I'd forgotten how very good it is.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
BiM you have started something here. I bought a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 this afternoon from Majestic, having got the bug again after reading this thread. I visited this distillery some 25 years ago and enjoyed the 105 which I bought then. Having just tried a drop it’s a lovely dram, full of dark fruits on the palate.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
BiM you have started something here. I bought a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 this afternoon from Majestic, having got the bug again after reading this thread. I visited this distillery some 25 years ago and enjoyed the 105 which I bought then. Having just tried a drop it’s a lovely dram, full of dark fruits on the palate.

Love this one, on my second bottle!

Ian_George

Visit site
I think you will find that they do.
A 10 year old whisky remains a 10 year old whisky even if you have had it 50 years.
There is certainly debate about whether it does or doesn't change! To me, the simplest comparison is by exaggerating the effect - by comparing the taste from a freshly opened bottle with that from the same or identical bottle left open but corked, for a significant period. Basically, I believe because the alcohol bite dominates flavour, spirits change at a slower rate than wine - for example.

RichA

Visit site
I think you will find that they do.
A 10 year old whisky remains a 10 year old whisky even if you have had it 50 years.
I hadn't realised that my personal opinion about a specific whisky that I drank needed policing and correcting, so thank you too.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Talisker at £30 is ridiculously cheap. £30 for Laphroaig and £38 for Ardbeg and Caol Ila is very good as well.
IME Talisker has been getting cheaper over the last few years (relative to the pricing of malts in general). It seems to be much more widely available than it used to be. Has the distillery adopted a more "industrialised" approach to production?

CountLippe

Visit site
Can anyone recommend some whisky cocktails? I enjoy an old fashioned (usually with a bourbon) and recently got onto ‘penicillin’s which have both a blended and Islay mixed with ginger and honey.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Found this the other day. Not sure when I got it but 1972 was the year we got married. Possibly an anniversary present.
View attachment 44955

On a whim, I got this valued by a whisky auction house. They said £150 to £300. On its way to Aberdeen to be entered in the next auction. Think I'll buy a couple of nice bottles of whisky with the proceeds.

It went for £170. Nice bottle of 12 year old Glendronach will be bought to replace it.