The Whisky Thread

Grizzly

Visit site
My personal favourite will always be a Bunnahabhain, ideally one that has a bit of extra age on it to mellow out the peatier edges.

YandaB

Visit site
I'm not a regular spirit drinker, I've only ever liked the more expensive ones that friends might share with me (with the exception of one very expensive bottle purchased at St Andrews a couple of years ago). Is there a way of determining which ones won't take out the back of my throat when drinking them? A price point perhaps, a particular style. I quite like the idea of a taster pack but if they are all "throat burners" that won't help me choose.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I'm not a regular spirit drinker, I've only ever liked the more expensive ones that friends might share with me (with the exception of one very expensive bottle purchased at St Andrews a couple of years ago). Is there a way of determining which ones won't take out the back of my throat when drinking them? A price point perhaps, a particular style. I quite like the idea of a taster pack but if they are all "throat burners" that won't help me choose.

This is a guide to the styles;

https://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/discover/enjoying-scotch/scotch-whisky-regions/

As to the health or safety of your throat, there is no easy answer as everyone's throat and palate taste differently. Maybe start with the Lowlands and work up from there? I'd avoid Laphroaig as a starting point...

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like a dram and Laphroaig is the one that does it for me. Although there are also many speysides I really enjoy I always gravitate back to Laphroaig as the one that defines what a good dram should mean.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

I always enjoy a stay at a nice hotel, be it a wedding or just a night away where I can try five or six different ones. I spend most of the evening just looking along the top shelf before trying a few. (Always a giggle to ask the young bar tender if he has any Glen Hoddle?) ?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here is my collection.

Must admit not many are open at the moment as I’m reluctant to crack a couple open without good reason to do so.

The blue label will be cracked open when my decree absolute arrives in the next few weeks ?

The Glenmorangie was bought 10 years ago when my eldest was born. Saving that till when she’s 18.

The rest will get popped when the need arises ?

The Aldi Japanese whisky sits among some very good drops, but I’ll tell you know. It’s a gorgeous tasting whisky and id thoroughly recommend it to anybody who fancies a cheeky Japanese dram.

E1F8557C-A474-4BE5-8B97-1098356AC363.jpeg

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have tried and failed to enjoy a decent whisky with my father-in-law on a few occasions. I’m not sure neat spirits are for me. I did like the smell, but the burning throat and weird aftertaste made it more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. Especially when I knew how much the bottle cost (we normally struggle with what to get him for Christmas so a decent bottle is an easy solution). Might add a bit of water as someone said above next time, to see if it dissipates the fire. Although, I imagine my FiL will look at me like I’ve just insulted his wife. At the minute I can understand why some are referring to drinking whisky to “working through a bottle”.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I also like Penderryn Madeira cask
From Wales normal price £37, but often to be found on special in Tesco etc for £27 ??
Tried Penderryn out of interest a few years back and hated it. (Well, when I say "hated", I had to finish the bottle - wasn't going to chuck it away. But it will not pass my lips again).

If we're talking about whiskies from non traditional countries, one that I quite enjoy is Paul John peated, from India.

My standard day to day tipple is Talisker.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think my entry point to single malts was Glenmorangie. That was the first one that helped me realise the gulf between the good and the cheaper, nastier blends or brands generally available. It was the first whisky that left a pleasant glow on my palate rather than an acrid burn. It still took a little while to acquire the taste though and I think that came with curiosity and ultimately realising that whisky isn’t a single defined flavour and the fun of it is in finding your own favourites. Some of my favourite distilleries are capable of making whisky I do and don’t like, which can be confusing, and expensive!

Some other thoughts on getting into whisky.

I enjoy whisky by nosing and sipping rather than drinking and I sometimes feel as if I’m not even swallowing, especially true when sampling whiskies in the higher 50% abv ranges.

That’s not a good entry point though. I also like to mix down with good spring water or ice depending on mood. Some people get snobbish about that but I don’t agree and most distillers are moving with the view that both water and/or ice makes the drink more accessible and can enhance the characteristics and flavours present.

A largeish ice cube that’s swirled and allowed to dissolve in a malt is, I think, a perfect way to get into the finer side of whisky.

If I’m after a longer drink I’ll and dashes of water after every sip. So by the end of a dram I’m only really drinking aromatic water. It’s a very pleasant way to enjoy and extend the wide spectrum of flavours present.

NeilV

Visit site
I think my entry point to single malts was Glenmorangie. That was the first one that helped me realise the gulf between the good and the cheaper, nastier blends or brands generally available. It was the first whisky that left a pleasant glow on my palate rather than an acrid burn. It still took a little while to acquire the taste though and I think that came with curiosity and ultimately realising that whisky isn’t a single defined flavour and the fun of it is in finding your own favourites. Some of my favourite distilleries are capable of making whisky I do and don’t like, which can be confusing, and expensive!

I enjoy whisky by nosing and sipping rather than drinking and I sometimes feel as if I’m not even swallowing, especially true when sampling whiskies in the higher 50% abv ranges.

That’s not a good entry point though. I also like to mix down with good spring water or ice depending on mood. Some people get snobbish about that but I don’t agree and most distillers are moving with the view that both water and/or ice makes the drink more accessible and can enhance the characteristics and flavours present.

A largeish ice cube that’s swirled and allowed to dissolve in a malt is, I think, a perfect way to get into the finer side of whisky.

If I’m after a longer drink I’ll and dashes of water after every sip. So by the end of a dram I’m only really drinking aromatic water. It’s a very pleasant way to enjoy and extend the wide spectrum of flavours present.

Spot on. Water chemically unlocks a whole new set of flavours, often bringing out additional sweetness and fruit, and nearly always improves a high ABV whisky. Many of the experts will water down to less than 30% ABV after initially tasting the undiluted spirit.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

If I’m testing or tasting I always start with it neat.

If I’m drinking then I may or may not add water in liquid or solid form, depending on how I feel.

YandaB

Visit site
Very dangerous thread this! ?.

I've just ordered some miniatures of Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12, Glenmorangie 10, Glenfarclas 10 and Jura 12.

Gives me a littke starter pack to work my way through ?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My all time favourite, bought by wife & daughter for a wedding anniversary about 10 years ago. I have one dram each anniversary & there's probably only one or two left in the bottle. Would set me back over £100 to replace. Beautiful stuff.

Attachments

• 20221013_181950-1.jpg
    20221013_181950-1.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 3

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A couple of years ago I sold a putter on this Forum. The buyer (you know who you are!) was an executive of the Springbank distillery . I mentioned my liking for the spirit & he said he'd send me a sample. I was expecting a miniature. What arrived in the post was a full 75cl bottle. Typical Scottish generosity & a superb tipple too. I do hope that the putter worked.