The Top Courses

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Didn't happen after 9/11 and sadly I wouldn't anticipate it happening this time around.

Dependent upon the definition of a Top Course but I think the majority of them would have no difficulty in filling their tee-times with home based golfers willing to pay the usual asking price.

If the two ball restrictions that have been discussed come in, do you think that with there potentially being a shortage of tee times, some might take the opportunity to raise their prices a little?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If the two ball restrictions that have been discussed come in, do you think that with there potentially being a shortage of tee times, some might take the opportunity to raise their prices a little?

No and I do think prices HAVE to drop. The tourism has been blown out of the water. Loads have been put into 80% wages and I think lots of companies may struggle to get going again.

Very tough times ahead.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Plus 1 re Muirfield. Made very welcome on several occasions. Just book online and it's very easy.

Prices will drop if the clubs need the cash. But I think Muirfield isn't short of the readies!
Conversely, Celtic Manor depends on visitor traffic. But vast majority are UK based....they could be packed out with desperate golfers or needing to attract players to get some cash in... no idea which

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember reading in a golf mag a letter from a chap who'd got a later time that when they turned there was nobody there at all (that they could see) and their cards had just been left by the starter box. No access to toilets or anything.

It appears that the treatment you get depends on whether you pay the full fee or not.

The worst thing for me was a statement that used to be on the visitor section of their web site that said "there are no facilities for ladies to have lunch" - disgraceful.

Things have improved in that regard.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thing is when this lockdown is lifted, it will only be a little bit. Distance travel will be frowned upon so hopefully, the local golfers (to the courses) will be the ones that benefit, I hope. And no, I'm nowhere near any of these hallowed places.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thing is when this lockdown is lifted, it will only be a little bit. Distance travel will be frowned upon so hopefully, the local golfers (to the courses) will be the ones that benefit, I hope. And no, I'm nowhere near any of these hallowed places.
How far away from Hoylake/Wallasey are you? Didn't they change the rule to say you could travel to exercise if the exercise period was longer than the drive? Or have I misinterpreted that?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I remember reading in a golf mag a letter from a chap who'd got a later time that when they turned there was nobody there at all (that they could see) and their cards had just been left by the starter box. No access to toilets or anything.

It appears that the treatment you get depends on whether you pay the full fee or not.

The worst thing for me was a statement that used to be on the visitor section of their web site that said "there are no facilities for ladies to have lunch" - disgraceful.

Things have improved in that regard.

I think that was rubbish, or a very ling time ago! .... one of the best lunches I ever had at a golf club was the Carvery at Muirfield. Locker rooms were excellent and we had full use of them. (This is from the mid 90s inwards so have not prior knowledge)

BUT - I do have a friend who is a Lady Senior International who said she had her lunch in an adjoining room... hope that has changed now too.

sunshine

Visit site
If they didn't want visitor income they wouldn't take visitors, no?

They do only allow them on two days a week. I believe the course is pretty quiet otherwise.

The fees were only £1200 a couple of years ago - expensive for East Lothian except for Archerfield & Renaissance.

A 4 ball of visitors = £1,080 green fees. Bit of food and drink, some purchases in the pro shop, and the club has covered an annual subscription with one tee time.

sunshine

Visit site
Evening.
75p is fuel duty and a garage near meadow hall selling at £1 per litre so why can’t rest ?

normal 500ml tub, needed some for work and that’s price they wanted to charge.

you mention in post below damaging brand image so you don’t think already having bookings at full price then selling some lot lower won’t do that ?

Rent will be much higher at a busy location. The petrol garage has to cover costs of employing staff, rates, utilities, maintaining pumps, transport costs etc. As well as the cost of the fuel. Margin on fuel is tiny and often a loss leader - most petrol garages make all their profits from selling other stuff.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rent will be much higher at a busy location. The petrol garage has to cover costs of employing staff, rates, utilities, maintaining pumps, transport costs etc. As well as the cost of the fuel. Margin on fuel is tiny and often a loss leader - most petrol garages make all their profits from selling other stuff.
Completely off the subject but...
You also have to take into account the price they paid for the fuel when it was delivered.
Busy garages can get through their tanks in a few days so are always buying at current prices hence you'll see more frequent fluctuations in price.
If a garage takes 3 -4 weeks to get through their tanks - and it will be more than that at the moment - any sudden fall in oil price, as we have seen, won't show up on their prices until they get another delivery.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think that was rubbish, or a very ling time ago! .... one of the best lunches I ever had at a golf club was the Carvery at Muirfield. Locker rooms were excellent and we had full use of them. (This is from the mid 90s inwards so have not prior knowledge)

BUT - I do have a friend who is a Lady Senior International who said she had her lunch in an adjoining room... hope that has changed now too.

No, my stories are more recent than 25 years ago.

When I played 3 years ago (teed off about 4pm) we were only allowed access to the toilet.

I have a hilarious story about how a large society of professional people were treated. This was a group who went every year but were still treated terribly and did not return.

sunshine

Visit site
You also have to take into account the price they paid for the fuel when it was delivered.
Busy garages can get through their tanks in a few days so are always buying at current prices hence you'll see more frequent fluctuations in price.
If a garage takes 3 -4 weeks to get through their tanks - and it will be more than that at the moment - any sudden fall in oil price, as we have seen, won't show up on their prices until they get another delivery.

True - especially for rural / remote places. For most places, the pricing of the competition will affect the sales price more than how much they paid for it.

Also true - totally off topic :ROFLMAO:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No, my stories are more recent than 25 years ago.

When I played 3 years ago (teed off about 4pm) we were only allowed access to the toilet.

I have a hilarious story about how a large society of professional people were treated. This was a group who went every year but were still treated terribly and did not return.
same here the bacon roll incident was about 5 years ago, been back a few times since but as a guest, and treated like a king, even the old bag with the bacon rolls couldn't do enough for us.

Started is pretty good but his priority is members, one time when we went on the SGU times, we were made to go off the 10th as Members might turn up and want to play, we were the only people there all day... not a soul apart from some green keepers.

but as i said before, i wouldn't stop me going, though i think the Lunch now is a bit of a rip off... if you are paying;)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
How far away from Hoylake/Wallasey are you? Didn't they change the rule to say you could travel to exercise if the exercise period was longer than the drive? Or have I misinterpreted that?

I don't think they will allow a 1 hour drive to play 4 hours of golf. I'm thinking anyone within 10 miles max really.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk

Don’t disagree at all. I live in a remote area and still £1-15 a litre, but Meadowhall not been open for five weeks and like a ghost town so why £1-00 a litre ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Crikey Ken, very surprised to hear that Muirfield was recent. Wonder what that was about? I wonder if the later tee time meant clubhouse would be closed when you got in. If so, they could have explained, or maybe they were just being snotty. As I said, been a few times and were welcomed warmly.

i*windows

Visit site
As flights from europe and asia look to be more expensive and their are travel restrictions in place then I guess there will be fewer europeans and asians, no idea about the US though.