The Top Courses

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends if they need the cash. Private (I assume cash rich) clubs like Birkdale, Lytham, Muirfield, etc will probably just ride it out until the Yankee dollar comes back in as I don't imagine they are going to be skint. St Andrews, Turnberry, Trump Aberdeen may decide to offer a few sweeteners to travel companies for stay and play type deals if they become a bit close to the bone.

One thing is for sure, if we do get out of this mess this Summer then the courses will be a lot less busy so it'll be an ideal time to play them.

sunshine

Visit site
We ain’t called rip off Britain for nowt. Oil at all time low we still at £1-15 per litre.

Most of this is fuel duty.

Hand sanitizer £18 a bottle.

For a giant tub? Or are you buying Coco Chanel sanitiser? ;)

Be oh so nice if they did but some will have already booked for later in year so they can’t drop them unless they give refunds.

Nothing wrong with selling a round of golf at a different price and no need to refund people. Happens all the time. When you get on a flight, the person sitting next to you almost certainly paid a different price to you depending on the time of the booking.

Plus would you want to play an Open or great course if clubhouse n pro shop closed so you don’t get full experience ?

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I'm there for the course not a bacon roll.

sunshine

Visit site
I suspect that resort courses that rely heavily on tourists might have some offers, e.g. Turnberry, Gleneagles. This includes courses popular with domestic tourists.

"Exclusive" courses like Kingsbarns have a brand image to protect and are more likely to take the hit than drop prices.

Private courses like Muirfield almost certainly can cover their costs from subscriptions and cash reserves. Fewer visitors = fewer costs (to some extent), e.g. Gullane has a visitors clubhouse... no need to staff this if its members only.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It depends if they need the cash. Private (I assume cash rich) clubs like Birkdale, Lytham, Muirfield, etc will probably just ride it out until the Yankee dollar comes back in as I don't imagine they are going to be skint. St Andrews, Turnberry, Trump Aberdeen may decide to offer a few sweeteners to travel companies for stay and play type deals if they become a bit close to the bone.

One thing is for sure, if we do get out of this mess this Summer then the courses will be a lot less busy so it'll be an ideal time to play them.

i'd imagine Muirfield wouldn't worry if they never got another visitor ever again, St Andrews is an interesting one, what with them being able to fill the tee times on the Old Course 12 months of the year, unlike any of the other big clubs, though i can't see them dropping prices, but they are lower most other places on the opem rota anyway. tough times ahead thats for sure

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me - I wouldn't have it in the same bracket as a Turnberry or a Royal Troon (which are the top bracket courses in Ayrshire in terms of visitors traveling to play). Then again I would play it every day ahead of a "top" track like Old Prestwick which just doesn't float my boat.

Personally I'd also have it below Dundonald. I just think Dundonald is a better layout and test. Others may disagree.

Anyway who knows what will happen re green fees going forward but I think visitor numbers will be way down over the next two/three years.

I think you do it a disservice bud, genuinely buy you know how highly I rate it (above Dundonald but agree on your playability thinking).

I think it's in the top tier bracket all be it lower end, it would be equivalent of a Gullane, North Berwick, Dornoch mould.

All subjective granted.

As to visitors, yip I wouldn't disagree on your thinking

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i'd imagine Muirfield wouldn't worry if they never got another visitor ever again, St Andrews is an interesting one, what with them being able to fill the tee times on the Old Course 12 months of the year, unlike any of the other big clubs, though i can't see them dropping prices, but they are lower most other places on the opem rota anyway. tough times ahead thats for sure

If they didn't want visitor income they wouldn't take visitors, no?

They do only allow them on two days a week. I believe the course is pretty quiet otherwise.

The fees were only £1200 a couple of years ago - expensive for East Lothian except for Archerfield & Renaissance.

D

Deleted Member 1156

They do only allow them on two days a week. I believe the course is pretty quiet otherwise.

The fees were only £1200 a couple of years ago - expensive for East Lothian except for Archerfield & Renaissance.
Do the R&A insist on open venues taking visitors? I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

who know's but they are not bending over backwards to allow visitors thats for sure.

been a members guest and a visitor and as a vistor we were made to feellike we i snuck on the course without paying where as a members guest we couldn't have been made more welcome

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, Muirfield is a funny old place.
Heard some very poor stories about how unwelcome they make visitors feel.

Great golf course though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, Muirfield is a funny old place.
Heard some very poor stories about how unwelcome they make visitors feel.

Great golf course though.
oh yes, my fav course, even when i have been treated like a gypo thats set up camp in the car park.

but i don't really care about that its all about the course for me

D

Deleted member 17920

who know's but they are not bending over backwards to allow visitors thats for sure.

been a members guest and a visitor and as a vistor we were made to feellike we i snuck on the course without paying where as a members guest we couldn't have been made more welcome
Interesting that.

We was there as visitors in March and the welcome we received was way better than expected.

Couldn’t fault them one bit for the level of service.

D

Deleted member 1740

Interesting that.

We was there as visitors in March and the welcome we received was way better than expected.

Patricks reputation must travel further than he realises ??

D

Deleted member 1740

I think most will now be open to deals on larger groups of visitors.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting that.

i suppose it depends on who's there, been a s visitor when there were no members that day and the starter was great (always is TBH) kitchen staff and waiting staff not so, been a few times with members and the same staff bending over backwards to kiss your arse, it was quite amusing the last time.

one time, ordered bacon rolls, had about 15 mins to the tee time with no one there, not a soul apart from us, some old bag asked if we were the so and so party.. and that we didn't have time for rolls:LOL::LOL:

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Most of this is fuel duty.

For a giant tub? Or are you buying Coco Chanel sanitiser? ;)

Nothing wrong with selling a round of golf at a different price and no need to refund people. Happens all the time. When you get on a flight, the person sitting next to you almost certainly paid a different price to you depending on the time of the booking.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I'm there for the course not a bacon roll.
Evening.
75p is fuel duty and a garage near meadow hall selling at £1 per litre so why can’t rest ?

normal 500ml tub, needed some for work and that’s price they wanted to charge.

you mention in post below damaging brand image so you don’t think already having bookings at full price then selling some lot lower won’t do that ?

D

Deleted member 17920

i suppose it depends on who's there, been a s visitor when there were no members that day and the starter was great (always is TBH) kitchen staff and waiting staff not so, been a few times with members and the same staff bending over backwards to kiss your arse, it was quite amusing the last time.

one time, ordered bacon rolls, had about 15 mins to the tee time with no one there, not a soul apart from us, some old bag asked if we were the so and so party.. and that we didn't have time for rolls:LOL::LOL:
Ah.

When we went the other week they tell you no chance of food before so zero chance of a bacon roll.

Only lunch is served.

Zig

Visit site
Have been to Muirfield as a visitor too, and we couldn't have received a warmer welcome. Full of apologies for some building work which was going on outside, great welcome on arrival and on the tee, and then the lunchtime experience was fab too - staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome, and then someone (committee member/member) came over to our table, asking how we'd found the course etc etc. Five star course and five star experience.

Only place I would say was comparable/better was The European Club... Pat Ruddy (owner and course architect) gives you some banter in the reception, tells you a few stories, and then walks you out to the first tee to see you off. When we last played (36 holes, with lunch in-between) he caught us at lunchtime and said 'there's only you on the course this afternoon lads. Here's the key to two buggies, you can take them wherever you want except on the greens, and play as many holes as you can fit in. Enjoy it, it's what it's there for'.

Mr Ruddy now has legend status in our eyes, and going to Ireland since we always try to play one of the courses he's designed - the courses are epic!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ah.

When we went the other week they tell you no chance of food before so zero chance of a bacon roll.

Only lunch is served.
this was summer and the order was taken, then this old bag comes through 10 mins later... it did amuse us all..

" are you the #### Party"?, yes," and your ordered Bacon Rolls"? yes,,, " you don't have time for Bacon Rolls":LOL:

would it stop me going... no its a great course