The Top Courses

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I gather, their tee times are filled up with Americans and other people from far flung places. When golf is allowed, do you think they may drop their prices for local golfers just as a, well I dunno, a sort of nod towards them having to wait for so long and maybe a bit of a welcome back to golf? Because, another reason, these golf tourists will not be able to come here for quite a while, I hope, as we will be making damn sure we don't get caught in another wave of this brought in from outside our boarders, so maybe the top courses could open up to BRITISH golfers.
Would be a nice gesture, don't you think? Or am I in fantasy land?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Only way to find out is to ask them.
But until we/they know when and with what restrictions are imposed all you can do is guess.

D

Deleted member 1147

It would be nice to keep it somewhat local, and induce Brits to visit with lower prices.
I’d certainly be interested ?

We shall see, and as Ian says, it’s worth enquiring now.

D

Deleted member 18588

Didn't happen after 9/11 and sadly I wouldn't anticipate it happening this time around.

Dependent upon the definition of a Top Course but I think the majority of them would have no difficulty in filling their tee-times with home based golfers willing to pay the usual asking price.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Define a top course? Outside of the Open venues and the big Irish links most of the revenue at the remaining clubs comes from UK golfers already.

D

Deleted member 17920

I wouldn’t have thought they would lower the green fees

Why would they devalue their product. It was just tell the yanks they are happy to rip them off.

Maybe they may put on an open on at a good price.

D

Deleted member 1147

Define a top course? Outside of the Open venues and the big Irish links most of the revenue at the remaining clubs comes from UK golfers already.
The problem is so many reviewers getting freebies to write nice things.
Puts the price up for the rest of us ?

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
We ain’t called rip off Britain for nowt. Oil at all time low we still at £1-15 per litre. Hand sanitizer £18 a bottle. Be oh so nice if they did but some will have already booked for later in year so they can’t drop them unless they give refunds. Plus would you want to play an Open or great course if clubhouse n pro shop closed so you don’t get full experience ?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Didn't happen after 9/11 and sadly I wouldn't anticipate it happening this time around.

Dependent upon the definition of a Top Course but I think the majority of them would have no difficulty in filling their tee-times with home based golfers willing to pay the usual asking price.
9/11 was very different in a number of ways:

1) Golf clubs were generally in a much healthier financial state in 2001 compared to now.

2) In mid-September we were heading into Winter anyway, so less golf tourism was lost.

3) The world actually got back to normal fairly quickly. If people had booked a trip to St Andrews for say April 2002, they still would have gone. The difference here is that Americans who have booked say August 2020, may well not be travelling now.

Saying all that, I'm not so sure there will be any cheaper rates about. There was a thread very similar to this a couple of weeks ago, and a few on there suggested that the 'top clubs' are probably the ones that can most afford the inevitable losses coming this year.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not sure that's true. My course has many foreign visitors in summer and not that many from the UK that I can see.
Obviously there will be many individual clubs in tourist hotspots that get foreign visitors, including yours because of the yanks and Japanese etc that come to play St Andrews, Kingsbarns, Muirfield, NB etc. I was referring to the vast majority of other clubs. There are 5 top 100 clubs within 10 miles of where I'm sat right now but we don't get many foreign visitors, all ours are generally UK based.

peld

Visit site
The Fife course must depend a lot on tourists in summer. The courses around a St Andrews special. I remember watching at Kingsbarns for a few hours and the only British accents were caddies.

Grizzly

Visit site
I don't know about the courses as much as the rest of the infrastructure. The Open rota/Top 100 courses tend to have reserves of cash and good insurance. The people suffering will be the restaurants, hotels etc.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure that's true. My course has many foreign visitors in summer and not that many from the UK that I can see.

Your course (like mine) is without being "cheeky or disrespectful" in a bracket below the top courses but will attract visitors who come to play Scottish Links due to reputation as being "gems" or "worth playing" along with X,Y or Z.

And quite rightly so. Your track is well worth a visit.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your course (like mine) is without being "cheeky or disrespectful" in a bracket below the top courses but will attract visitors who come to play Scottish Links due to reputation as being "gems" or "worth playing" along with X,Y or Z.

And quite rightly so. Your track is well worth a visit.

Depends where you stop defining top. Id suggest yours is at the top end maybe just under the very top.

Cracking course.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Depends where you stop defining top. Id suggest yours is at the top end maybe just under the very top.

Cracking course.

For me - I wouldn't have it in the same bracket as a Turnberry or a Royal Troon (which are the top bracket courses in Ayrshire in terms of visitors traveling to play). Then again I would play it every day ahead of a "top" track like Old Prestwick which just doesn't float my boat.

Personally I'd also have it below Dundonald. I just think Dundonald is a better layout and test. Others may disagree.

Anyway who knows what will happen re green fees going forward but I think visitor numbers will be way down over the next two/three years.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
"The top courses" is another nebulous term similar to "the Rich People!"

Any course that derives most of its income from (American) Tourists/visitors, it will have to do something to fill the void, without damaging it's brand. Can't quite see Kingsbarns doing a £15 twilight ticket, whereas some keep the visitor rate high to manage numbers and cover the bulk of their costs through members' subs.

If visitor numbers do take a hit for a long period, there maybe be a bit of thinking for some places to do!