The Players Championship 2019 - #5thMajor

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Tbf Woods base level is significantly higher than both of those.

I think it's far too early to say he will never win one again been as he was right in the mix at the last open?

It's not really, his chances reduce significantly each month from now (next 4 months is 4 majors). This time next year he will be 44 and all the current crop of talent will still be in their prime and another year older and wiser.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It's not really, his chances reduce significantly each month from now (next 4 months is 4 majors). This time next year he will be 44 and all the current crop of talent will still be in their prime and another year older and wiser.

I agree that his odds will get longer. All i'm saying is that Mickelson, Els and Clarke won in their 40's and all 3 are vastly inferior in terms of skill level at peak.

I think everyone agrees Jacks record is gone. But i certainly wouldn't back against him winning if he has 5 years injury free.

D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/47610217

During the summer of his golfing life, in 2014, Rory McIlroy was famously booze-free; the abstinence bringing two majors and a World Golf Championships title as he rose to world number one.

Having won The Open that year, followed by the Bridgestone Invitational and US PGA, I asked him if it was finally time to toast his success? "Oh yes, I'm going to be celebrating this," he laughed.

Contrast that reaction to how he talked in the wake of Sunday's landmark triumph at the Players Championship.

"I'm going to sit down and see what I can take from this and try to put it into the next few weeks," he said in an interview for the BBC Golf podcast, The Cut. He is fully aware the Masters is just around the corner.

McIlroy will still celebrate and enjoy this Players victory, and so he should. But that analytical response speaks to the maturity of the 29 year old, who ended an increasingly frustrating run of near misses with this win.

It was a special success. McIlroy prevailed on a packed leaderboard finding real inspiration on a back nine that might have unravelled with his bogey on the 14th.

"Maybe, if this had not gone the way I wanted it to, it might have eaten away at me," McIlroy told me.

But it did not and that fact should silence a growing band of critics who increasingly believed that he lacked the nerve and heart to win the game's biggest prizes.

While they fretted over his inability to convert that string of promising positions, they questioned everything from the Northern Irishman's mental state, ability to putt, work ethic and choice of caddie.

But the player stayed resolutely patient. "I feel every week I've contended I've been more comfortable in contention," McIlroy said of his recent frustrations.

1552946971910.gif
The victory was McIlroy's 15th on the PGA Tour and first in one year
"I just kept going, doing what I've been doing all year, biding my time trying to hit good shot after good shot. Thankfully it all came together."

He insists he has not been as frustrated by the year long winless spell that has just ended as many people would expect. "I'm playing better golf than the majority of people out there," he said.

"So I know I just have to keep doing what I'm doing."

Few players possess McIlroy's extraordinary ability and it came to the fore on the 15th hole on Sunday. It was there that he propelled a sensational 180-yard six-iron bunker shot to set up a crucial bounce-back birdie.

Then came a 347-yard drive to provide the platform for the decisive birdie on the 16th before a 288-yard missile from the nerve-wracking 18th tee.

It helped secure the par he needed to settle what was an absolute classic Players. "It was probably the most difficult shot I had all day," he admitted.

The strength to nail it came from his experience more than a decade ago at the Hong Kong Open. There he persuaded himself to fully commit to a three-wood final-hole tee shot which had troubled him all week and it duly brought victory.

"I think the golf gods will reward you for making a good committed swing," he said. "And any time I have a tough tee shot I stand up, I pick my target and I swing as hard as I can."

McIlroy has reaped rewards ever since and last week at Sawgrass proved no different. "I piped it down 18 by just remembering that tiny little thing from Hong Kong," he said.

He has come a long way since and his Players success is the biggest win outside his four major triumphs. It was arguably the most gutsy performance of his career.

Furthermore, it is a significant win for the game in general. Across the globe, McIlroy generates more interest than any other golfer besides Tiger Woods.

When he is in his pomp no one plays a better brand of golf. Sunday's win was not him at his imperious best, but showed us the dogged side to his character.

He is a stubborn so-and-so, simply because he believes in what works for him. Hence a vehement defence of caddie Harry Diamond, for whom he had fulsome praise after their second win together.

1552946971975.gif
Former Irish amateur Harry Diamond has been on McIlroy's bag since 2016
"People just think he's my best friend and I got him the bag because I didn't want to listen to anyone else. But that's not true," McIlroy said.

"Harry is an accomplished golfer and has turned into one of the best caddies out here, if not the best."

But the key is the golfer himself and his growing maturity which has impacted on his game. "It's been having a focus over the last six or seven months on my attitude, especially my attitude to golf," he revealed.

"Not letting golf define who I am as a person, trying to keep the two things very separate because in the past I would let what I shot that day influence my mood."

Maybe that is why there were no histrionics when he holed the winning putt, a mere puffing of the cheeks to recognise a job extraordinarily well done.

McIlroy says this thinking is what has helped him become so consistent. His victory caps a run of six consecutive PGA Tour events where his worst finish has been a share of sixth place.

It is an enviable record and no player this year would swap it. This victory will inevitably stoke anticipation for his next attempt to complete the career Grand Slam at April's Masters at Augusta.

Holding The Players trophy brings no guarantees in that regard although it will generate immense hype and he knows it is coming.

But the mental fortitude that delivered this victory informs us he will be better equipped than ever before to deal with the inevitable hullabaloo when he gets to Augusta.

D

Deleted member 1147

For any given event there are many players all with a chance of winning, none should be written off!
Too many unfancied men have triumphed over the years for that to be otherwise.
That’s one of the best things about golf!

D

Deleted member 1147

i sometimes wonder what people on this forum have been smoking, where I can get some & if they’ve ever watched or played golf!?!

The Tour Championship not a significant event, with 30 free wheeling pros with an eye on another event - seriously?

I bet when Rory or Stenson won this wasn’t the perceived strength of the event!

User20204

Visit site
Swinging better than ever ? Not from what I can see , he used to destroy courses at will , now he struggles to keep it on the fairway consistently enough to get many bogey free rounds on the card

To be fair, he destroyed courses because he was significantly longer than the rest of the field.

Mark Crossfield put up a great video tonight showing how much better Tiger was than the rest and where Rory stands against the rest, it showed how much better Tiger was than the rest, not how weak the rest were.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
"........I think the golf gods will reward you for making a good committed swing," he said. "And any time I have a tough tee shot I stand up, I pick my target and I swing as hard as I can.".......

That's a great quote from Rory, how many times do you stand on a tee and worry about the shot in some way? I know I do, could be a direction, remembering the last shot on the same hole, the wind, water etc. You stand there thinking about swinging easy, trying to control it to not make a mistake, but as a result, don't fully commit on the shot and wind up with a really poor effort. Going to try and remember to make this my mantra now, aim, grip and rip, see if it gets me through some of the less than mediocre garbage drives I've been hitting lately :).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a great quote from Rory, how many times do you stand on a tee and worry about the shot in some way? I know I do, could be a direction, remembering the last shot on the same hole, the wind, water etc. You stand there thinking about swinging easy, trying to control it to not make a mistake, but as a result, don't fully commit on the shot and wind up with a really poor effort. Going to try and remember to make this my mantra now, aim, grip and rip, see if it gets me through some of the less than mediocre garbage drives I've been hitting lately :).
For me that seems like an approach that would work really well half of the time, and the other half of the time result in a monster slice.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to the Valspar Championship this week. No Tiger and no Rory. What will we talk about instead?

User20204

Visit site
In Crossfields vid he showed that Rory wasn't that accurate off the tee, can't recall exactly but something like 48th over the week with only 28% fairways hit on Saturday and around 58% ???? average for the week.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In Crossfields vid he showed that Rory wasn't that accurate off the tee, can't recall exactly but something like 48th over the week with only 28% fairways hit on Saturday and around 58% ???? average for the week.
True, but in fairness he averages further than most, so if he's hitting an 8 iron out of the rough that's probably just as easy for him as 5 iron off the short stuff for others.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Fairway accuracy is a pretty irrelevant stat though, as you can be a yard off the fairway in the 2nd cut and have a perfect lie and a great angle, but it counts the same as 20 yard miss in the rough, so it's impossible to tell anything from those stats. SG Off The Tee is the stat to look at, and Rory's #1 on Tour this year.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
"It was probably the most difficult shot I had all day"I think the golf gods will reward you for making a good committed swing," he said. "And any time I have a tough tee shot I stand up, I pick my target and I swing as hard as I can."

Interesting
I wonder what happened in the Ryder cup singles against Justin Thomas on the 18th.
I would say JT did this not Rory.

Or has he finally got mentally stronger.

It’s not all that long ago he has quit after a few holes when he’s missed putts early.

Time will tell of course.
One win though is all it is.
Fields are so strong these days it will be hard to dominate.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not just one win though, is it?

And your insistence to attempt to bait Phil over Rory has gone beyond a joke.

That’s fine your entitled to your opinion.

The reason I quote what Phil says is because it’s so biased.
No different to his obsession to slate Woods at every opportunity.

It seems to me Rory has won and is now talking as if it’s all changed for him now.

Why don’t you tell me how he’s gone from a quitter when the going gets tough to all of a sudden Mr positive.
Imo and it’s only an opinion,because he won he’s now making ridiculous statements and all I’m doing is picking holes in it.

D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news...oy-becomes-world-no-4-after-the-players-title

Rory up to 4th in the world - quite ludicrous how people can call someone who has won what he has before he is 30 a quitter ?!

He has won from behind , he has won from the front and he has won in playoffs , he has stood up in Ryder Cups and when he has suffered a drop in form he has battled through it - since 2010 he has won 4 majors a few WGC plus multiple other comps - I don’t think anyone has won as many majors in that time or competitions since 2010 ? Will be interesting to see who has.

He was number one for just under 2 years and is one his way back - won three out of the four majors , the Fed Ex , RTD , The PGA plus holding multiple scoring records - one Comp left for his locker- the Masters , his record shows he is the best of his generation right now and he still has over a decade left to keep bringing in the wins. He won’t ever reach the level of wins at the majors as Woods or PGA Comps because the competition right now is outstanding but he will go down as imo the best from the UK maybe even Europe.

Also looking at the rankings how great is it to see Pepperell getting into the 30’s - such a quality golfer and even better on social media - remember playing Frilford once and he was in the bar just chatting away to the members having them in stitches - England Golf looks good with him , Rose , Hatton , Fitzpatrick and the new kid on the block Wallace - a few there that are going to be around for a good number of Ryder Cups