I'm Getting Excited About THE OPEN

Hoganman1

Visit site
It's only two weeks until my second favorite major. Hopefully, it will be as exciting as usual. I'm a little concerned about Matsuyama testing positive last week. Hopefully he'll be cleared in time. Also, I'm expecting Jon Rahm to play well coming off his win at Torrey and who knows what Phil will do. I'm not as familiar with Royal St. George's so I'll be doing some research this week. In addition to the 2021 major winners there are several players I think will contend. I'd love to see Westwood finally get his major. Please post your thoughts.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I hope that the weather delivers so it becomes a true test of links - dry bouncing fairways, high fescue and winds (but no rain, that can do one.) A low guile and grit player with -6 wins rather than the smash it and -25 scores.
It will be fantastic if a duo like Stenson and Mickelson have another duel

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I hope that the weather delivers so it becomes a true test of links - dry bouncing fairways, high fescue and winds (but no rain, that can do one.) A low guile and grit player with -6 wins rather than the smash it and -25 scores.
It will be fantastic if a duo like Stenson and Mickelson have another duel

:unsure: The duel that ended at -20?

orangepip

Visit site
If the beeb's long range forecast is to be believed then the weather is going to be as perfect as possible ... TBH I'm not sure I believe their 2 week forecast as it always seems to be very similar to the average for the time of year.

Yes though very excited.

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Links Golf is whole different beast to the manicured fairways that the PGA has to offer week in week out. I think it'll favour the European players more. I'd love to see Westwood get a Major win. Fleetwood is due a win too, growing up on the Links coast of the Northwest, he's a beautiful iron striker with the 3/4 follow through abd I think he could do quite well at this event if his putter heats up.

It would be foolish to write off the likes of Jon Rahm with the form he's in, JT has a strong wedge game which could suit him well and Brooks Koepka just seems to come alive in the Majors.

After missing it last year, I share your excitement of it being back, it's been too long!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Links Golf is whole different beast to the manicured fairways that the PGA has to offer week in week out. I think it'll favour the European players more. I'd love to see Westwood get a Major win. Fleetwood is due a win too, growing up on the Links coast of the Northwest, he's a beautiful iron striker with the 3/4 follow through abd I think he could do quite well at this event if his putter heats up.

It would be foolish to write off the likes of Jon Rahm with the form he's in, JT has a strong wedge game which could suit him well and Brooks Koepka just seems to come alive in the Majors.

After missing it last year, I share your excitement of it being back, it's been too long!

Agreed Westie would be good and he's a long time due, Fleetwood's iron play is amazing - but he does seem to bottle it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With it only on Sky, I won't be bothering with it. I would love to sit and watch all 4 days from the comfort of my armchair, but I am not paying through the nose for it.

sunshine

Visit site
This year has been mild and wet so I expect the rough to be brutal (it's been brutal wherever I've played this year). I hope the sun comes out and dries up the course for the next couple of weeks so it's not too lush - it takes away the challenge if the pros can just fly the ball to the flag and stop it dead.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Love when it is up here as reasonably easy to take a day trip but I am really looking forward to it this year.
Yeah after missing out last year's it feels a long time from the last open, looking forward to it but as I said love it when its here at home

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Very much looking forward to watching my first Open for all 4 days - on TV...

Would love a British or Irish winner really, but ill take anything but a yank!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why do you think this? History doesn't seem to support that view. The European players are used to parkland as well.

Lets call a spade a spade here. It doesnt favour Europeans in the slightest.

In the last 20 years the open has been dominated by those two power houses of golf.

The yanks and the Irish ;)

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
So little professional golf is played on links that it really doesn’t favour any group of players in particular. A lot of uk amateur events are played on links and very little when it comes to professionals.
Your always going to get the better wind players and guys who are better at playing low knockdowns etc but unless it’s windy, dry and firm, for the most part you don’t need to play these shots.

Open courses are also relatively short in comparison to modern championship venues so your always going to see low scores unless conditions are particularly challenging. Doesn’t really matter what the score is the best player on the week will win

evemccc

Visit site
I only get excited when it's in Scotland, I'll be watching tho course looks stunning

The Open has been held in (generally) alternative years in England and Scotland on traditional links since it was first held in England in 1894. There wasn’t a lot of Open history in Scotland before that

The weight of history and longevity is that the ‘home’ of the Open is on links courses in Scotland and England.

Troon and Turnberry have far less Open ‘history’ than many of the English links courses

Your take is no different to someone saying they only get excited about football and rugby world cups and Euros when they’re held in England

Last edited: