The future of golf clubs? hopefully not....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interestingly it's the courses built in the 80's that seem to be the ones closing first.

That is mainly because most of them were built as proprietary clubs and not members clubs. With an established members club it can be propped up by the members if financial times are hard by a relatively small sum from each member. Say £100,000 is needed that is only £125 for a club with 800 members £200 for one with 500.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Give me an 18 hole and 9 hole course

A modern range / short game area

Decent pro shop

A gym

Swimming pool

Two restaurants and a coffee shop

And ideally 15 mins from my house

and I'll give you my time and money....

I 'm not sure if this exists? Or whether I'm being unrealistic ?

GBC

There is one like that in Dorset built in the 80s. Rumour has it that it is looking to close.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I

This has made the courses busier but visitor income will be down in a lot of member centric courses and there will be no room on the tee to introduce it. Especially if the trend continues and the vast majority of professional / office workers become home based and can play golf every afternoon.

I would say my club is not one that relies hugely on visitor income but it's certainly an area that was bringing in cash on the tee and in the bar that is not coming back this year.

We have actually noticed an increase in visitor income from casual players but what is seriously down is Society Bookings.

Visit site
These posts RE youngsters
I've had to play with a few in recent comps - 14 yr olds, 17-18 year olds - some really good players off 4, 6 etc and when playing with me have got further cuts; one went round in level par
The main thing is they have all been excellent playing partners - supportive, excellent course manners etc - a real pleasure to play with

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally think it's a total myth that youngsters don't have basic social skills.

I think in the main they are as good & bad as other generations and people are just remembering their youth through rose tinted specs.

Things move on, culture moves on and humans adapt to the environment they find themselves in. I'm sure if whatsapp groups and social media had been around when you were coming of age, the way you interact with friends and colleagues would have been different.

Our room is run on WhatsApp

Mafia group to swap shifts with others .. running balance so people can pay the room back or go minus if need a weekend off

Then an overtime group from the boss when he needs shift covering

Very modern

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strange times. We had over 120 new members on the temporary three month membership on offer. Seems to have been some sound business as it has provided a very quick inflow of cash and in return people get to try club membership and play. Without initiatives like this all of these players would be struggling to play regular golf as most courses are still members or members & guests and few are offering visitor green fees, even pay and play as the ones around here have clubs attached or affiliated and they are looking after those members first.

I do believe memberships will change, whether that is on an annual fee for playing credits, rolling shorter term contracts or some other form. I think current golf memberships with their annual renewals will have to change especially if clubs want to compete with the others courses nearby.

I’m not surprised with 3 months - who’s hair brained scheme was that?!! Most sensible clubs went for the 12 month temporary membership option (until they can go back to cricket, football, hockey....).....if you keep them after 3 months that’s the key!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’m not surprised with 3 months - who’s hair brained scheme was that?!! Most sensible clubs went for the 12 month temporary membership option (until they can go back to cricket, football, hockey....).....if you keep them after 3 months that’s the key!
And we are. At least 24 fully paid up on an annual membership was the last I heard so it could be more by now. The three months isn't as hair brained as it sounds as we get them when demand is at its peak and with only limited option (certainly locally) for them to get a game elsewhere. Brings money in quickly which was ideal after lockdown and we've increased membership as well. A lot of those playing won't be around once the Autumn/Winter comes so there will be less demand for limited winter tee times.

However whatever scheme we'd introduced you'd only have come on hear and sneered as you do with every post connected to my club

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
We have actually noticed an increase in visitor income from casual players but what is seriously down is Society Bookings.

Our company golf day which was usually 40 - 50 people has been cancelled, multiply than by d many companies / groups of friends and it'll be thousands that clubs are losing

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One clu
Our company golf day which was usually 40 - 50 people has been cancelled, multiply than by d many companies / groups of friends and it'll be thousands that clubs are losing
That's a very good point. I'd be amazed if any corporate golf is taking place this year. Normally that is a decent money spinner for a number of clubs.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And we are. At least 24 fully paid up on an annual membership was the last I heard so it could be more by now. The three months isn't as hair brained as it sounds as we get them when demand is at its peak and with only limited option (certainly locally) for them to get a game elsewhere. Brings money in quickly which was ideal after lockdown and we've increased membership as well. A lot of those playing won't be around once the Autumn/Winter comes so there will be less demand for limited winter tee times.

However whatever scheme we'd introduced you'd only have come on hear and sneered as you do with every post connected to my club

Keep believing the hype!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because it's cheaper probably? And public so it doesn't have that 'exclusive' vibe?

I thought that since lockdown eased golf was in a massive upturn, lots of people took up golf when it was the only sport open, and I thought quite a few of them bought memberships also as it was the only way to get on certain courses.

My place is a golf centre and it too is rammed at the moment. But because it's cheaper? Nope I don't think so judging by the amazing car's in the car park. These people have serious money ?. The course is not great either. I think it's the variety on offer. Driving range, 9 hole pitch and putt ...... very popular this is, and a flat simple 18 hole course that off whites is a monster.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You always lose a few people every year....no idea how many have left, but last I heard we had 70 new members.

There was a time when our turnover was around 50 members every year but that was in the days when there was lot more fluidity in the jobs and housing market.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
With people WFH or on Furlough means no train fares / petrol / lunches / coffee for some people anyway, along with some films having more time on their hands / or just able to manage their time better means some folks currently have spare money and time hence i think the mini book in golf

Fast forward six months and it may be a different story and how clubs deal with that will shape the future

The members clubs should be fine ? As for the rest ? Fingers crossed

GBC

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
With people WFH or on Furlough means no train fares / petrol / lunches / coffee for some people anyway, along with some films having more time on their hands / or just able to manage their time better means some folks currently have spare money and time hence i think the mini book in golf

Fast forward six months and it may be a different story and how clubs deal with that will shape the future

The members clubs should be fine ? As for the rest ? Fingers crossed

GBC

some folks having, rather than some films having ?

Sekiro

Visit site
My local is open to the public, every time I’ve been this last week the car park is packed and people are parked in what’s essentially the overflow area, the chipping/putting practice area is always full and the majority of bays are in use on the range (30 bays give-or-take in total including the outdoor ones). We have the Princes 18, Bishops 18, Dukes 18 and Duchess 9 with a 27 hole ”foot-golf” course too, I’ve never been to a members club but with so much available at my local public course I guess why would I?

Its a shame to see such a bleak future for some clubs though, but like already mentioned, COVID-19 has probably only accelerated the process, hopefully with the influx of new golfers this year we will see a positive outcome for all (remembering that a down turn in people spending might not impact the sort directly, I have other areas myself where I would look to cut back on before my hobbies and I imagine a lot of others are the same).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My local is open to the public, every time I’ve been this last week the car park is packed and people are parked in what’s essentially the overflow area, the chipping/putting practice area is always full and the majority of bays are in use on the range (30 bays give-or-take in total including the outdoor ones). We have the Princes 18, Bishops 18, Dukes 18 and Duchess 9 with a 27 hole ”foot-golf” course too, I’ve never been to a members club but with so much available at my local public course I guess why would I?

Its a shame to see such a bleak future for some clubs though, but like already mentioned, COVID-19 has probably only accelerated the process, hopefully with the influx of new golfers this year we will see a positive outcome for all (remembering that a down turn in people spending might not impact the sort directly, I have other areas myself where I would look to cut back on before my hobbies and I imagine a lot of others are the same).

It sounds like a club bucking the trend of the OP but what happens when people go back to work full time or int he winter. How will they cope for demand for tee times with limited light available even with the number of courses

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just learned today that Oak Park Golf Club in Farnham, Surrey has closed. It was taken over by the charity Get Golfing (a charity that seeks to increase participation in golf) last summer from Crown Golf on a four year lease - but is giving it up already as it was contractually entitled to do as the club has been ‘burdened by a commercially unrealistic rent’. Hopefully closure is temporary but as members are being offered refunds or membership at other clubs run by Get Golfing - that does not sound great.

sunshine

Visit site
Just learned today that Oak Park Golf Club in Farnham, Surrey has closed. It was taken over by the charity Get Golfing (a charity that seeks to increase participation in golf) last summer from Crown Golf on a four year lease - but is giving it up already as it was contractually entitled to do as the club has been ‘burdened by a commercially unrealistic rent’. Hopefully closure is temporary but as members are being offered refunds or membership at other clubs run by Get Golfing - that does not sound great.

A few days ago I had never heard of this club but now I've seen it mentioned twice!

Is this a case of a poor quality golf course failing to make the cut? It's an area with an abundance of courses at different price points.