Texas scramble rules.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
First of all I have never played a single game of this format. So I don’t have a clue. But I was listening to the lads at the end of todays round. Apparently it kicked off a week or so ago. It was all to do with playing a ball from the rough. A player was seen placing his ball in the rough as against dropping it. It got a bit nasty by all accounts as said person who placed his ball in the rough stated “ you called me a cheat”. By all accounts no one did but he is an ex plus one golfer and knows the rules. None of his Playing partners backed him up. But a few players today said they will not play with him again as he has ” history”. Including being seen dropping a lost ball from his pocket. I found it all entertaining.
So Ave had a quick play on the net and come across this.
Each player hits off the tee, the best shot is selected. This is where the second shot will be played for all the golfers in the team. Generally, balls can be placed if on the fairway and must be dropped if in the rough.
Is this the norm.

D

Deleted member 15344

Always been the normal to drop everywhere unless playing pick and place in closely mown areas in ours

But as it’s not a recognised format of golf clubs can use their own rules as such and allowing placing where ever the ball is in even in bunkers

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
he is an ex plus one golfer and knows the rules.

Does he? I play with many Cat 1 golfers who don't know the rules.

Texas Scrambles are not covered specifically by the Rules of Golf, in as much as there are different formats introduced by the organisers, such as how the ball is placed before shots. Generally, in my experience, the ball is placed if in the fairway and dropped if in the rough. Also it can be that each player in the team must have at least three counting drives in the round so it is not the same person's drive taken at each hole as there might be a player who really booms their drives but the others are not so good. This can put pressure on a player whose drive hasn't yet counted and is getting close to the end of the round!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Does he? I play with many Cat 1 golfers who don't know the rules.

Texas Scrambles are not covered specifically by the Rules of Golf, in as much as there are different formats introduced by the organisers, such as how the ball is placed before shots. Generally, in my experience, the ball is placed if in the fairway and dropped if in the rough. Also it can be that each player in the team must have at least three counting drives in the round so it is not the same person's drive taken at each hole as there might be a player who really booms their drives but the others are not so good. This can put pressure ona player whose drive hasn't yet counted and is getting close to the end of the round!

When I was listening to them talk. One of the lads who I played with today is new to golf. He is a good lad. He played against this other guy in a doubles comp. They were 4 up with four to play and this guy refused to play any more holes because he said it was dark. None of the others inc his partner thought it was dark enough to finish. He walked off. It took four weeks of messing around to finish the round. He has said he will not play with him again. I was gobsmacked listening to some of the things they were saying.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I was listening to them talk. One of the lads who I played with today is new to golf. He is a good lad. He played against this other guy in a doubles comp. They were 4 up with four to play and this guy refused to play any more holes because he said it was dark. None of the others inc his partner thought it was dark enough to finish. He walked off. It took four weeks of messing around to finish the round. He has said he will not play with him again. I was gobsmacked listening to some of the things they were saying.
The guy, and his partner, are disqualified. You can only suspend a match if ALL players agree.

D

Deleted member 3432

First of all I have never played a single game of this format. So I don’t have a clue. But I was listening to the lads at the end of todays round. Apparently it kicked off a week or so ago. It was all to do with playing a ball from the rough. A player was seen placing his ball in the rough as against dropping it. It got a bit nasty by all accounts as said person who placed his ball in the rough stated “ you called me a cheat”. By all accounts no one did but he is an ex plus one golfer and knows the rules. None of his Playing partners backed him up. But a few players today said they will not play with him again as he has ” history”. Including being seen dropping a lost ball from his pocket. I found it all entertaining.
So Ave had a quick play on the net and come across this.
Each player hits off the tee, the best shot is selected. This is where the second shot will be played for all the golfers in the team. Generally, balls can be placed if on the fairway and must be dropped if in the rough.
Is this the norm.

All I will is you are fortunate in not having played this format. Its rammel....

sunshine

Visit site
When I was a kid we used to play headers and volleys down the park. We also played 3 and in, Wembley, World Cup, and various other games that involved jumpers for goal posts. When new kids joined in, we always had to explain the rules, because everyone seemed to have a slightly different version of the rules. Texas Scramble is the golfing equivalent of Wembley, there’s no official rule book but it’s played across the world. Just don’t take it seriously.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As long as the rules are agreed up front so that everyone plays the same game, it’s pretty much whatever you want.

Just come back from a Spain golf trip and we play Texas scramble on the first day to ease us in gently, before the seriousness of individual kicks in. It’s a great way to get to know new players and have a bit of fun and team spirit. We had a bit of a committee meeting on the plane to decide the rules, all good.

Saying that, we did have a bit of a debate in our team over using 4 drives each, which ended up costing us and we lost by 0.4 of a stroke! All in good spirit though.

Mandofred

Visit site
People won't follow the rules.....even if everybody knows the rules, some will still break them. When I joined my new club the Saturday morning rollup/swindle gave rediculously long gimmes. I kind of looked stunned and said things like "what?...I miss these all the time" (like 3 footers with break). I got responses like "everybody does this". I said it wasn't fair if some are giving 2 foot putts and others 3 foot putts. A couple of weeks ago they tried to enforce putting everything in....that lasted a week before they went back to giving silly gimmes. I just play with them knowing this is going to happen and just accept that people are going to do whatever they feel like doing....and play mostly with a smaller group that doesn't get silly about gimmes.