Texas scramble rules.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like a scramble but perhaps because I rarely play them. Just a bit of fun but only really works if you gel as a group and get good shots, hole putts otherwise you just can keep a repeat of four lag putts etc.

On the rules point, the placing of the ball on a texas scramble doesn't sound the real issue. It's the dropping of a ball from trousers, walking off in matchplay etc that are clearly the issues people have with him.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Drop within one club length at our gaff, unless on the green. If the ball being played is in the rough or a hazard, all dropped balls should be dropped likewise, you can't use the one club length to drop out.

I enjoy a texas scramble from time to time, in fact playing in one on Friday. It's more of a social game for me, although some teams take it quite seriously, you can tell when you see the three single figure players with a 20+ handicapper in slot 4 :LOL:. Not at all worried about the speed of the round, we know it can be a slower format before we sign up. Just go out and have a bit of fun.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Drop within one club length at our gaff, unless on the green. If the ball being played is in the rough or a hazard, all dropped balls should be dropped likewise, you can't use the one club length to drop out.

I enjoy a texas scramble from time to time, in fact playing in one on Friday. It's more of a social game for me, although some teams take it quite seriously, you can tell when you see the three single figure players with a 20+ handicapper in slot 4 :LOL:. Not at all worried about the speed of the round, we know it can be a slower format before we sign up. Just go out and have a bit of fun.

Yes the old one ,single figure gets a high h/c in his team and he’s no longer single figure?

I do play Scambles sometimes but can’t say I enjoy them that much mainly because I know before I tee off I will have no chance of competing.

Recent example we were only 2 shots higher than another team who had a 5 h/c in their team, given the team the 5h/c is in will play the majority of his shots it’s no wonder I’m not that keen on them.

Solution get a 35+ h/c in your team ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Recent example we were only 2 shots higher than another team who had a 5 h/c in their team, given the team the 5h/c is in will play the majority of his shots it’s no wonder I’m not that keen on them.

Solution get a 35+ h/c in your team ?
That's where a Florida scramble come in to its own. The player who hit the taken shot doesn't play the next shot.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
As others have said, scrambles aren’t covered in the Rules of Golf, so are governed by event organisers, but I’ve never known placing in the rough.

We play a couple of these every year and, whilst fun, they are always subject to very liberal interpretation of the guidance laid out by organisers. Just one example I can recall is when we used to be allowed to drop within a club length in the rough. If the fairway was within that club length I have known groups abuse that by the second, third and fourth players in a group dropping on the short stuff after the original ball has been played from the cabbage. It could be argued that this is within the event guidelines, but it’s certainly not within the spirit of the game.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone played a Texas Scramble where players have to have a given number of drives (ie normal) but all four players play the all shots? (Instead of the player whose shot is chosen sitting out)?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone played a Texas Scramble where players have to have a given number of drives (ie normal) but all four players play the all shots? (Instead of the player whose shot is chosen sitting out)?

That sounds like you are talking about a Florida Scramble rather than a normal Texas Scramble. The Florida Scramble is the one where the player whose ball is selected does not play the next shot - only the other 3.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
rosecott described a Florida.
Both Texas and Florida can be played in the form you describe (ie minimum number of drives per player. Prevents one long driver dominating the tee shots.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was the "all players playing all shots" bit I was especially interested in. At our place, we've always called it a "Texas" but it's only ever been three out of four players playing shots other than tee shots and putts on the green. Today it was still called a "Texas" but all 4 could play every shot. (My team unknowingly handicapped ourselves by thinking "the chosen player" had to drop out.).

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was the "all players playing all shots" bit I was especially interested in. At our place, we've always called it a "Texas" but it's only ever been three out of four players playing shots other than tee shots and putts on the green. Today it was still called a "Texas" but all 4 could play every shot. (My team unknowingly handicapped ourselves by thinking "the chosen player" had to drop out.).

That's the only way I've ever played a Texas.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are many scramble variations but the two most common are Texas and Florida.
Texas. Version 1. All players drive. All play the best ball.
Version 2. Each player must contribute 4 drives.
Florida (sometimes call 'step aside'). The best ball is not played by the player who played it. The 4 drive requirement is rarely used.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We use both formats.

The club uses normal Texas and the Mixed uses Florida

We have a minimum number of drives in either format.

Place on the fairway drop in the rough and ball must stay in the rough, recreate the lie in a bunker.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Each player hits off the tee, the best shot is selected. This is where the second shot will be played for all the golfers in the team. Generally, balls can be placed if on the fairway and must be dropped if in the rough.
Is this the norm.

This is usually the rule but we always make a point of understanding the local rules as there’s usually an advantage to be played. One time was where it was place in the rough.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It’s probably the worst format of golf. I can’t believe people get so irate over it.

Each to their own. I find it good fun. (Lets you take risks! )It’s just that. Nothing to get precious about , but only fair for all in the round to play the same “rules” , whatever they are.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I think you are maybe confusing winter rules with Texas Scramble rules?

Winter rules - place on the fairway / drop in the rough

Texas Scramble - Everyone plays their shot - select the best positioned ball & mark it - everyone plays their next shot by placing it by the marker.
That is the way I have always played it.