Texas scramble rules.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Also.
If playing a Texas Scramble format why would they be playing from the rough?
Surely at least one of the 4 players would have hit the fairway?
That's all you need in that format.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also.

That's all very well in the early stages, but you may have a team of mixed abilities and the pressure can mount if one or more of the team is struggling to register the required amount of drives. Sometimes you have to ignore one or more good drives and play from the rough to get another player's drives in.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
That's where a Florida scramble come in to its own. The player who hit the taken shot doesn't play the next shot.
I like the sound of that. That would bring in all sorts of decisions about, not just the current shot, but about the shot after that as well.

We do a very informal Texas scramble on Tuesdays. I get to play from places I don't usually play from - particularly half way between my drive and second shot. And when the long hitters mess up, they get to play from further back - unknown territory for them.

Oh yeah, we put the ball on the ground in some manner near the spot of the chosen ball.

I find it fun.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are many scramble variations but the two most common are Texas and Florida.
Texas. Version 1. All players drive. All play the best ball.
Version 2. Each player must contribute 4 drives.
Florida (sometimes call 'step aside'). The best ball is not played by the player who played it. The 4 drive requirement is rarely used.

The second version is called Mexican scramble at my club.
I really don't like it as if you hit a great shot to a green, you lode the chance to finish it off.

We also do 4 tee shots but everyone must have one of the 4 par 3s. Adds a bit pressure to the last par 3 where the see is tight on the right side of the hole.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you are maybe confusing winter rules with Texas Scramble rules?

Winter rules - place on the fairway / drop in the rough

Texas Scramble - Everyone plays their shot - select the best positioned ball & mark it - everyone plays their next shot by placing it by the marker.
That is the way I have always played it.

No confusion here, we have place on the fairway (closely mown) and drop in the rough and the ball must stay in the rough.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also.

Because not all players may have the ball on the fairway and sometimes the shot from the rough is the better shot.

we also require each team to use minimum number of drives from each player so there are times when it is better to chose a ball in the rough because it uses up one of the players required drives.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Texas Scrambles are tough. We had a team NR in one of ours a few years ago.

Not an NR in that they didnt return a card...an NR in that they didnt complete a hole!!!

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Texas Scrambles are tough. We had a team NR in one of ours a few years ago.

Not an NR in that they didnt return a card...an NR in that they didnt complete a hole!!!

How on earth did they manage that?
I've played in a few of these & I can't imagine how that is possible ????

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
How on earth did they manage that?
I've played in a few of these & I can't imagine how that is possible ????

I don't remember for certain but I think it came down to needing to take one particular players drive on the final hole and said player hitting a crap shot and the ball not being found. The bar was more appealing than going back to the tee.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Surely not :eek: Golfers are gentlemen.

We have a group at ours which regularly wins scrambles by several shots, the rest often being reasonably tightly bunched behind them.

Surprise, surprise they were disqualified from our midsummer scramble this year, having initially carded a score five shots better than the second placed group. Each player was supposed to have had four drives, including a par 3 (we have four). At their last par 3, our 7th, the one player who was yet to use their tee shot at a par 3 dunked his in the water, so someone else played one and stuck it to 3 feet. Sure enough, the putt was holed and they claimed a 2.

There have been mutterings about them for years, and it seems the suspicions of many may have been right.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
That's a shame.
I've encountered cheating at ours.
Never anything blatantly obvious, but you just know it's happening.
Mainly centred around dodgy handicaps.
I really can't understand it tbh.
When I have won something (not often) the satisfaction is knowing that I did it fair & square.