Would you like to see Reed top the money list?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Say what you like about Reed, but I suspect he actually plays more events in Europe than one or two Europeans.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Won't argue that and he has supported some of the ET events (plus the Open, WGC - co-sanctioned and some of the Asian co-sanctioned events). It is just something in his persona that I can't warm to

I certainly don’t disagree - not the most likeable fella, that’s for sure.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well I wouldn’t be too bothered if he wins. He supports the European Tour more than a good deal amount of the top Europeans. He is different and plays the game very well. Always found him respectful and has a bit of bite to his game , enjoyed him winning The Masters because it must have wound them up.

Would like to see Westwood win though

evemccc

Visit site
I have to admit I like Patrick Reed, he does his own thing, isn't under contract to a club manufacturer and plays what he likes, really takes the time to play in Europe (which Koepka also did) and has a swing to die for. I think he gets kicked a lot because people don't like him as he comes across very arrogant and he doesn't have a Guy Smilie personality, but everyone is different and he just gets his head down and plays. How much did the Americans love him when he beat McIlroy in the Ryder Cup but were almost booing him when he won The Masters? I hope he does win The Race to Dubai as he deserves to be where he is by his talent and willingness to play on The European Tour.

He’s become a bit of a pantomime villain

There are certain reasons (mainly outlined above) that I can think of for liking him, just as I can think of a few (as probably can most others) to not really like him.

But honestly I don’t really care either way and much of pro sport is now ‘which multi-millionaire do you want to get more money’ - and I find that I rarely care which millionaire gets more millions!!

People seem to like ‘hating’ people or having a bogeyman and Reed seems to be that man in golf....As I’m somewhat a contrarian, I shall hope he wins! ?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Glad more people seem to like Reed than not, I'd have him in my top three to actually watch playing the game and if I could have any part of any pro's game it would probably be his short game. Still don't know if I like him as a person but that probably goes for half of them and it's good to see him 'over here' a bit though he'll be getting paid through the roof to do so.
Maybe Joost Luiten will go from 72nd on the money list to 1st... bizarre.

D

Deleted member 18588

I have no objection to whoever wins.

As for Patrick Reed I can offer no opinion as unlike some on here I have never met the guy unlike those others. At least I assume they must have to have formed such strong opinions.

D

Deleted member 18588

Are you kidding??
Do you not watch golf on TV or take any interest in it?
I watch a lot of golf on TV.

However, I fail to see how that would help me know Patrick Reed.

Trevino had a TV and on course image..Off course the truth was entirely different.

I am only interested in watching them play.

D

Deleted member 18588

So you think his rule breaking, and attitude afterwards, is "made for TV"?
Clearly there is plenty for the TV viewer to dislike about him.
Not this TV viewer.

I watch to see them play, none of the rest is relevant to me and I don't need to like or dislike the player.

After all I'm not going for a pint with him.

Never have subscribed to the cult of celebrity or personality.

sunshine

Visit site
I think he gets kicked a lot because people don't like him as he comes across very arrogant and he doesn't have a Guy Smilie personality, but everyone is different and he just gets his head down and plays.

Reed is deeply unpopular because of accusations of cheating which have followed him throughout his career. These go back to when he was at college and then an up and coming pro, obviously there was no hard evidence of this cheating, until he was caught red-handed on camera improving his lie in a bunker last year. Given the repeated and persistent nature of the accusations I tend to believe there's no smoke without fire.

Personally, the guy has done well on the ET this season so fair enough if he wins the RtD.

It's a bit of a meaningless accolade though if he becomes the first American winner. Tiger topped the ET order of merit multiple times, and has 41 ET wins.

sunshine

Visit site
Not this TV viewer.

I watch to see them play, none of the rest is relevant to me and I don't need to like or dislike the player.

After all I'm not going for a pint with him.

Never have subscribed to the cult of celebrity or personality.

To me, Reed is the golf equivalent of Neymar. The cheating and play acting get in the way of enjoying the skills on display.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My preference would be someone like Bezeidenhout (sp?) as he seems to actually play on the ET, rather than someone who is a part timer mainly from the PGA , with most of their points being collected from co-sanctioned events.

sunshine

Visit site
My preference would be someone like Bezeidenhout (sp?) as he seems to actually play on the ET, rather than someone who is a part timer mainly from the PGA , with most of their points being collected from co-sanctioned events.

Although I agree with what you're saying, Bezeidenhout himself has only played a couple of events in Europe this season. He's played a load of South African events co-sanctioned with the ET.