Wie criticised for missing Open

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Wie criticised for missing Open

story.wie.jpg

Three top pros have questioned Michelle Wie's decision to skip this week's Women's British Open at Sunningdale in order to play a men's PGA Tour event.

Annika Sorenstam, Paula Creamer and Helen Alfredsson were all critical of the 18-year-old's latest move.

Alfredsson criticised the guidance Wie gets from her parents, who manage her.

The Swede, 43, fresh from winning the Evian Masters, said: "I feel sad for her and for the guidance that she seems not to have in the right direction."

She added: "I think she's a very good person but the exhibition time for her is over."

If you can't qualify for a major, I don't see any reason why you should play with the men

Paula Creamer
Alfredsson's fellow Swede Sorenstam is preparing for her final major before she retires at the end of the season.

Chasing her 11th major and 73rd career title, Sorenstam said: "We all have different agendas in life but I really don't know why Michelle continues to do this.

"We have a major this week and, if you can't qualify for a major, I don't see any reason why you should play with the men."

While most of the top women golfers descend on Sunningdale, Wie is in Reno, Nevada, making her eighth US Tour appearance.

But the American has plunged down the rankings to 244th in the women's game, and risks becoming one of the curiosities of the game, rather than the outstanding champion she once seemed destined to be.

BBC Sport's Oliver Brett

Wie's loss of form meant she was not granted an exemption for Sunningdale, although she did have a chance of getting in at an LPGA Tour event in Illinois two weeks ago.

She was one shot off the lead after three rounds and seemed poised to challenge for her first victory on the tour.

But she was then dramatically disqualified for not signing her second round scorecard until after she had left the recording area.

Wie then made a late decision to opt against qualifying for Sunningdale.

Alfredsson, winner of the event in 1990 and now enjoying a second lease of life on the women's tour, said of Wie: "She was so good a couple of years ago when she finished second a few times.

"I'm sure if you put yourself enough times in that position then you can deal with it, and I think it's how you become better. That's how you learn to win.

"We have got some great, great players on the LPGA right now. I think, if she wants to be a golfer, she should really concentrate on being on the women's tour and dealing with them and learning to win.

"Winning is what we are out here for, but I just don't see the interest really on being on the men's tour. I thought she had quit that idea but obviously not."

American Creamer, who has won three tournaments this season and seven in total, added: "I don't know why you'd want to pass up playing in a major, especially the British Open here at Sunningdale.

"But [Wie] goes a different path and that's not the path way that I've taken."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7531867.stm

It does seem she is being mismanaged by her parents, what do you peeps think?

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree that perhaps she shouldn't be playing with the men, when she isn't even close the the top 10 in the womens.

I don't really understand why she is playing with the men anyway, I mean she's young and has potential, but why is she playing instead of anybody else? Can any woman apply to play in the mens tournaments?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If she plays badly with the women, she loses her entry to all LPGA events for a year, whilst she can hack it about in a mens comp with no repurcussions.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thing is by not playing with the womens eventsshe is simply going to hurt her confidence when she plays the mens events.

It would be a lot better for her to play in eventsshe stands a chance with. If she looses her LPGA entry rights, then she should play in the European Ladies events.Build up her confidence again.

Thing is when she has confidence she can play well & is long off the tee.

And yes it is sheer missmanagement that has meant she is now in the state she is in & is not competetive.

On one hand I can't really be bothered what she does, or how she does as I am a bit tired of all the press she has gotten over the past coupleof years, when its all been about her failour to do this, injury that & withdrawn from the other. It really does get tiresome. However, on the other hand, I would like to see the young lass fulfill her potential, as there is undoubtedly a lot of tallent there. She just needs to be listening to & taking notice of the right people...The experts in her field.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
just who is getting any benefit from this?

It can't be Wie as she's a no-hoper on the men's tour and can't be getting anything beyond appearance money - or is that so high she doesn't have to bother about being any good.

It certainly isn't the men's tour - so just why do they continue to allow her to play? It can only be by sponsor's invitation - any Nationwide tour male golfer would have to go through qualifying to get the start - and if one does but is not given the opportunity because Wie has taken his place does this have potential for a legal battle?

On another note - where does the quote come from and is it word for word? If it is the source could do with a proof reader - and I'm available!

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
She generally gets sponsors invites much in the way John Daly does. He's another player I feel sorry for. As He knows he's still a crowd puller, even though the game isn't there anymore & having to get entry though the back door so to speak, must really gaul him & do nothing for his confidence. Anyhow, thats by the by & slightly off topic.

Anyone can play on the mens tour if they want, all they need is to either have a tour card, or have an invite from a sponsor or whoever is organising an event.

Heck if Wacko Jacko's chimp wanted to enter, all he'd need to do is get an invite.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was watching a bit of golf on holiday last week and the russian tennis player Kifelnikov was playing and plating rather pi5h to be honest. Wie is turning into a freak show cos everubody is waiting her to blow up and score another 88.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I for one would like to see her back on the ladies tour, either in europe or the states. She is much more pleasing on the eye than many of the other ladies (Laura for one). She also clearly has a lot of talent (deadbeater doesn't usually waste his time with complete no hopers), so it would be nice to see her achieve her potential.

She didn't actually qualify for the Ricoh open though, so I am a bit surprised she is being criticised for not turning up. I didn't qualify for the open championship, but no one has had a pop at me for it.

DCB

Visit site
The poor girl has been mismanged since her early teens when she first showed signs of what might have been. She's now having to pander to the various sponsors that are paying her so well.

I've said before on this topic, she needs to get her game together and play well and learn to win against women befor tackling anything else.

What a waste of talent. her management (mismanagement )company should be ashamed of themselves.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is she had started to get some form back the other month, but obviously her family have put their oar in again & are <u>leasing</u> the poor impressionable girl astray once again

don't know if typo was intentional but it's probably nearer the truth!

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thing is she had started to get some form back the other month, but obviously her family have put their oar in again & are <u>leasing</u> the poor impressionable girl astray once again

don't know if typo was intentional but it's probably nearer the truth!

rofl... it was supposed to be leading , but as you say my typo, is infact probably closer to the truth..lol

mboy1980

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm fed up of all this Politically correct nonsense with women entering mens tournaments.

It has been proved beyond doubt that women are unable to compete with men and the sooner we hit this on the head the better.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nothing to do with being pc she's a sideshow pure and simple, she puts bums on seats for American networks.

Fact is that the PGA had to get sponsors to do a block deal at a reduced price because they wanted to do a "With Tiger/without Tiger" deal so if you are a mid season not up to much event what better way to get interest?

She missed Open qualifying for this "event", got to look at her parents and think do they understand how best to manage her? In my opinion no she is a talent but even the top pros have a bedding in period they just seem desperate to cash in whilst she's a "phenomenon"

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The event she got invited to is a minor event on teh PGA tour as it clashes with the WGC in Firestone where all the top players are playing-it looks like a publicity stunt for the event as much as for Wie.

She appears to be badly managed and advised. She also appears to be unaware of teh rules as she was disqualified at her last event for signing her card after she left the scorers hut.
Was she in trouble a few years ago over an illegal drop?

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
With her and her managers it is seemingly all about money. Whether it is through appearance money or just sponsors payouts I will guarantee you that she will make more money from missing the cut in the mens event than missing the cut in the women's open- which she most probably would have done, and that is purely and simply the reason behind her choice of event. She is certainly wasting her talent currently.