The OC

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been up to St Andrews 4 times and the first time I did the before dawn queue to get on the OC, not the greatest weather but it had to be done and yes it is very special, I would love to play it again, but I cant see me paying full whack again. I am to be Lady Captain next year, do they offer courtesy rounds?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have been up to St Andrews 4 times and the first time I did the before dawn queue to get on the OC, not the greatest weather but it had to be done and yes it is very special, I would love to play it again, but I cant see me paying full whack again. I am to be Lady Captain next year, do they offer courtesy rounds?
I doubt it, it's not a club as such, though there are 3 clubs using it. I think for a lot of open venues now curtesy of the course is going out of fashion

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Back in the 90’s I worked at Harworth Pit. I was going to Scotland for a weeks holiday based at Dunoon on the west coast. The Pit golf society was playing in Scotland that week and they had a player drop out.They asked me to play the Old course. The cost was £35.
I never had a handicap so I used the missing players hcap of 13. Ave never been that in my life. I was very nervous on the first tee and it was windy. You cannot help but be sucked in by the place. If you are a footballer, you want to step out onto wembley. If you are a golfer it’s the old course.
But and this is a massive but, I expected to be blown away by the course and I thought it was rammel.I thought I had paid £20 over the odds. I spent all day listening to on course spotters urging us to hurry up when we were not slow. All days listening to Americans whooping and hollering. It ruined the experience. The lads I played with had played some lovely courses whilst in Scotland and rated the course as a course in its self the worst. But the lad who won on the day summed it up by saying he did not care as he had beat his mates on the old course.
That for me sums it up.
I felt a bit guilt dragging Missis T, the Kids and the dog across Scotland to play, but she said St Andrew’s town it self is just gorgeous and she was glad she went. What really bogged me off. I missed the last ferry from gourock to Dunoon and had a long detour to get back to Dunoon.
is It over rated, yes. Would I play again, No. should you play it, definitely yes.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have played it twice, thoroughly enjoyed it both times. The whole atmosphere of being in and around the course and town was awesome, I'd play it again in a heartbeat.

Yes it's expensive, but it's an experience.

Maybe it's not for everyone, that's fine, but I don't fathom why anyone would poo poo it if they hadn't played it.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doubt it, it's not a club as such, though there are 3 clubs using it. I think for a lot of open venues now curtesy of the course is going out of fashion

I dont expect they the question was a bit tongue in the cheek, apparently you can get courtesy at Birkdale if you play with 3 others paying full rates

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Will you be a captain of the ladies or a lady club captain?
Captain of the ladies doesn't always get courtesy

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I dont expect they the question was a bit tongue in the cheek, apparently you can get courtesy at Birkdale if you play with 3 others paying full rates
Was told a story about Muirfield by a friend that's a member, a club captain from down south approached there asking for a captains curtesy, was told to bugger off in no uncertain terms?

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've not played the Old Course but would love too. I've met lots of golfers who have and cannot recall a single one who is not glad to have had the experience.
If someone doesn't want too that's fine by me just leaves more room for those who do but some of the expressed opinions seem a little bizarre:
Too many Americans, who worries about the nationalities of people elsewhere on the course? Americans play lots of other big courses and like every other nationality the majority seem perfectly pleasant. A few are tossers but the same goes for English , Scots ,Welsh Irish etc.
Disneyland is even more bizarre. It seems to be a place which most people who visit enjoy but it is specifically a modern place with ersatz imitations of other places and concepts whereas the Old Course if it is nothing else is not ersatz, it's place in the development and history of golf is undeniable.