The OC

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
30 years ago in early spring I asked for a round on the Old Course at St Andrews.
I couldn't see anybody on the course but the starter informed me while I could play it I'd need a h/cap cert. which I didn't have at the time.
So I never did play it, but instead later played the New Course, the Eden and the Jubilee.
I wanted to play the OC because of its fame. Apart from the opening hole and the 2 closing holes it doesn't appear that much more special than those other courses.

So is that the way you would view it, not that special but purely one for your to do list?

I doubt, for instance if its a bigger challenge than Carnoustie which I had no problem getting on.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
30 years ago in early spring I asked for a round on the Old Course at St Andrews.
I couldn't see anybody on the course but the starter informed me while I could play it I'd need a h/cap cert. which I didn't have at the time.
So I never did play it, but instead later played the New Course, the Eden and the Jubilee.
I wanted to play the OC because of its fame. Apart from the opening hole and the 2 closing holes it doesn't appear that much more special than those other courses.

So is that the way you would view it, not that special but purely one for your to do list?

I doubt, for instance if its a bigger challenge than Carnoustie which I had no problem getting on.
I played it three weeks ago for the first time in 30 years - I'd played it a couple of times back then - what I'd forgotten is that it is brilliant fun.

BTW - you need a handicap certificate to play Carnoustie Championship now and it's more expensive for a visitor than the Old Course. Love both courses but if I was lucky enough to be able to choose to play one of them regularly I'd choose the Old Course.

D

Deleted member 21258

Experience top 3.

Course wise, fairly easy, fun, nowhere near my top 25.

Everyone into golf, should play it 100%, it is special.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Haven't had anything like the OC 1st tee feeling at any other course. Even feel it walking past when you're not playing.

Almost 40 years since I played it :eek: but hoping to go back in the not too distant future.

Pretty sure the only reason I even had a handicap back then was so we could get a game there.

I didn't know they allowed wummin on the course back in those days ;)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It couldn’t be any more special in my opinion. It’s just a magical place to play.

Is it the hardest course around? No, not even the hardest in St Andrews
Is it the most beautiful? No
Is it the best layout? Probably not but I think you appreciate it more the more you play it. For example, all the danger on the right encourages you to go left, but that’s the hard angle to approach the green.

If you’re not sucked in by the magic of it, which I can’t imagine anyone wouldn’t be, but just say you weren’t, then I can see how it’s not the most appealing place to play given the cost.

For me though, it’s the only course in the UK that I would say should be a bucket list item for all golf fanatics.

I think the handicap requirement isn’t so much about the difficulty of the place, but rather to try and keep total and utter hackers off the course (i.e. tourists that want to play but aren’t really golfers) and to try and keep pace of play up a bit.

sunshine

Visit site
I think the handicap requirement isn’t so much about the difficulty of the place, but rather to try and keep total and utter hackers off the course (i.e. tourists that want to play but aren’t really golfers) and to try and keep pace of play up a bit.

I've seen total and utter hackers on TOC when I've been there. I clearly remember watching a 4 ball of Japanese tourists with expensive tour bags and caddies. The caddies were just throwing the balls out of the bunkers for them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In my opinion it's not even the best course at St Andrews, but it the most famous course in the world, so it's pretty full almost every day, hence the ballot and queing up to get the singles spots at the crack of dawn. It's a must play, but I suppose with it being pretty slow going anyway you have to draw the line somewhere , like a lot of courses that have a lot of visitors.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've seen total and utter hackers on TOC when I've been there. I clearly remember watching a 4 ball of Japanese tourists with expensive tour bags and caddies. The caddies were just throwing the balls out of the bunkers for them.
I found myself on a small island off Malaysia (Pangkor) and a local was practicing his golf on the beach.
His ambition was to play the OC. I told him that it was probably not as good as he thought, and the weather would not be like Malaysia.

IMO, people just want to be there because it's the OC, and then put it on their virtual CV.
A Scot from Dundee I played golf with in Sutherland said that St Andrews just didn't interest him because it was full of Americans.

How many times have you actually played it? I'm guessing the most likely answer is just once.

Do they still have strict time limits on playing a round?
Are fairly decent golfers who have little clue on how to play a links course still likely to be a bit of a nuisance?
Would you relish playing there if it was blowing a gale?

I'm probably being unfair, but if offered a round on the OC or one of many inland courses in Scotland (say Boat of Garten) I'd choose the latter.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A Scot from Dundee I played golf with in Sutherland said that St Andrews just didn't interest him because it was full of Americans.

I'm probably being unfair, but if offered a round on the OC or one of many inland courses in Scotland (say Boat of Garten) I'd choose the latter.

That chap from Dundee sounds like a right git. What a horrible attitude.

The Boat is a great course but not a patch on the OC.
Anyone who says it's not a good course is deluded. It has plenty great holes and features you find nowhere else.
The overall experience cannot be matched by any other course in the world.
Great value too, about half the price of Kings Barns!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
. It has plenty great holes and features you find nowhere else.

Do you mean the double greens, the oversize bunkers, the hideous OC hotel, the ugly structure that has replaced the old railway sheds?
As for the OC starting and finishing in the middle of the town, that myth is soon dispelled when you get there.

Have you, as one example, played North Berwick (west course)?
There are features there that are so good they were copied all over the world.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you mean the double greens, the oversize bunkers, the hideous OC hotel, the ugly structure that has replaced the old railway sheds?
As for the OC starting and finishing in the middle of the town, that myth is soon dispelled when you get there.

Have you, as one example, played North Berwick (west course)?
There are features there that are so good they were copied all over the world.

I have played NB West a few times. For me, a very over rated course. The features there are a bit Micky Mouse to me.

www.hiltonpark.net
Had a funny one on the OC a few weeks ago. We took a friend of a friend round and he used his 4i instead of his driver all the way round. We said he had to have a crack at the 17th with a driver, it's do unique. He hit a lovely fade, and ended with a cracking par. Emboldened he took out the big stick on the 18th. Straight right off the toe, bounced on the road before the buildings, across the road , missing 2 parked cars by inches and landed in the drive of that funny wee 60's house.

At the same time a lad coming down 1st was over the burn by 18th tee. He then proceeded to hit a cracking pitch to 10ft on the 17th!!!! He had 3 mates who were already on 1st green and they had a caddy?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I dare say many of us remember the old Wembley stadium. Great back in the day but well past it’s best by the time it was knocked down. I would have still preferred to run out at Wembley than any other stadium.

For me, the same applies for TOC. Played it 3 times and loved every time. Last time we had caddies, which took the experience to another level. It’s no Carnoustie, which is a great course, but I’d still choose it first.