The Mental Health Thread

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it's important to have a discussion ongoing and to have a visual thread here that can help prompt someone into writing a message instead of keeping it in, whether it be about depression, anxiety, loss etc. It could even just be posting how you are doing out of 10. No judgement, just a place to vent. I think the anonymity of the forum really helps.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been through cognitive behavioral therapy for stress and anxiety. Took a long time to get over the the attitudes drilled in to me as a child of the less enlightened '70s (pull your self together and get on with it). The only time mental health was acknowledged when I was younger was if someone had a full breakdown. Coping mechanisms like closet alcoholism remained prevalent and have also impacted on people in my life.

Still suffer from stress and work related anxiety at times but feel better able to deal with it.

Always at the other end of a direct message is anyone needs me.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My mum is 81. Several medical problems.. lock down was very hard for her, then she got worse and was admitted to hospital from 2nd May till 20th July....home for a few days, couldn't manage so has gone into a Care Home where she's been in isolation in case of C-19. So, since March, all her clubs, socials and shopping trips cancelled. Then in a hospital ward, no visitors. (and she's the thick end of 3 hours drive away too)

So, of course this week she as really rebelled, demanded to go home, called my sister and I all sorts of names for "putting her in there." (wasn't our call) So, really worried about her state of mind....

And me? After the past few months/weeks of the above.... brain is pretty fried to be honest. I've had issues in the past, not for 10 years or so, but I am feeling some familiar feelings, but hopefully know how to deal with it...

other than with my mum, lockdown has been a breeze...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Burnout is something to keep an eye on. For those working through lockdown, there has been little to no opportunity to take time off and with holidays cancelled as well, people are just getting on with it. I know that I have not had a day's holiday since October last year so am getting a bit fried now. Trouble is, my wife has been on furlough for the last 4 months and has just got a new job and so she is going to need to settle for a few months before she can take time off.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It’s well documented here that a couple of years ago I had a serious medical accident that caused massive internal bleeding requiring major surgery and 3 x my body volume in blood transfusions.

Somehow I’m still here, but the aftermath on my mental health was not good, diagnosed with traumatic stress I had reoccurring night terrors leading to being scared to sleep leading to being unable to function properly.

Tried CBT which didn’t do much, then a different therapist tried EMDR, which hit the spot and now I have no bad dreams and I consider myself cured.

But what it has done is made me aware that if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.

Gone are the days of “ pull yourself together “

If anyone feels that they need to talk
Just PM ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have one of my children who is now in their early 40s suffer with their mental health, at times because of distance I have needed to call the Police and Ambulance to break onto their property because of the fear of what's happening. This has been going on for over ten years on and off and at times can be completely draining. All you can do is stick in there and let them know you wont give up on them what ever happens.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having had bouts of depression since my late teenage years I wish somebody had told me to seek help much earlier in my life. It was not until we went as a family in my early 30s I learnt the benefit of just talking about it to someone.

One of my golfing mates would not take advice and he is now in a hospital because it became too much for him. He now suffers from dementia and I feel very strongly that the onset came because he would not seek advice when he was at his worst.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Well good for you, I hope that you never get to the point where you need to seek help.

I used to think I was too mentally strong to be affected , I was wrong
That was a very harsh uncaring response. I feel like I need counseling now.

Wolf

Visit site
I get you're being light hearted and also have your own way of dealing with things but given the nature of the thread and considering many on here and elsewhere will have had counselling that's a rather tasteless flippant response.

D

Deleted member 25172

I think that you can and should joke about just about everything, including mental health. Perhaps not in this thread though.

Personally, I’ve struggled on and off with depression and anxiety pretty much my whole adult life. No longer on anti depressants, but not ruling it out that I might need it later on in life. I’m not very good at handling stress, which usually leads me to become somewhat manic in other areas to try and “forget” about the things in life which is hard, which in turn makes it worse as you start missing deadlines etc.

Have just changed jobs in the hope it won’t be as stressful as my last one. A week in and so far it looks like a company which isn’t as full on as my last one. We’ll see if that continues. :)

Wolf

Visit site
I consider myself rather fortunate when it comes to my own mental health, despite the many things I've seen and done throughout my career I've been one of the lucky ones to remain unaffected. I've always just hit the gym or pounded the pavements when I've been feeling a bit low and it always improves my mood immediately.

However i have seen so many friends struggled with PTSD that in the early days just weren't given the support they needed and in many cases were deemed weak for it. The forces effectively just discharged them and tossed them aside as mentally unwell for service. Thank that's changed and in recent years mental health awareness has come on leaps and bounds in all walks of life and I've been lucky enough to work with many people since that have come through the adversity posed by it and now help others.

I've also witnessed first hand severe post natal depression of my ex partner where even having a beautiful baby girl wasn't enough to think life is worth living. Its a brutal non visual killer that is totally indiscriminate. I may not know how it feels personally but if anyone ever wants a chat I'm a good listener so feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Gordon, that's probably because their mind works different to yours. It's a real illness and and often a killer.
Brian I don't consider myself different to anyone else, I just keep things in perspective ?