The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also would drop Phillips for Rice. Far better holding player in my opinion.

That is the trouble with rice and England he will always be the holding player. Club level him and soucek interchange and cover each other so both become slightly more box to box

Phillips isnt as good defensively so rice gets the unfashionable job of sitting. Thus never looking anything more than "average" to the untrained football eye

At the expensive of the team though? I’d hope Southgate would be more expansive up the pitch if he had more faith in his centre backs.

You could well be right there , stones is shakey aswell tho mind .. only looks great for city as he has Dias next to him
A few reasons - Maguire needs game time to prove or increase fitness. This game gives him that time. Also, Mings wasn't great v Scotland, but not helped by any cover in front of him as Che Adams had the freedom of the pocket.

Good point about game time. If Maguire is needed in the latter stages or is to be used should I say he may need fitness

But then half fit players shouldnt be there

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My team for game 3 -

Stones has nothing more to prove (starts for me in any game going forward) - get Maguire some game time. Chillwell too.
Let Jack be free in midfield.
Sancho deserves to show us what he's got.
Sub Foden early - need him fresh in the KO's.
Rice to hold/ sit.
Get Kane the ball in the area he's best - the box.

Pickford

Walker Maguire Mings Chillwell

Mount Rice Grealish

Foden Kane Sancho

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont not like Phillips - I just think if youre only playing 1 holding, it has to be Rice as our CB's are suspect.

I think that's Southgate s thinking aswell

Rice looked like he was dropping into almost a 3rd Cb role (he did play an entire season at CB in the league) like dier used to do for England when he was in favour allowing for the full backs to get forward

Tbh with tripper rather than James I think could have worked better

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My team for game 3 -

Stones has nothing more to prove (starts for me in any game going forward) - get Maguire some game time. Chillwell too.
Let Jack be free in midfield.
Sancho deserves to show us what he's got.
Sub Foden early - need him fresh in the KO's.
Rice to hold/ sit.
Get Kane the ball in the area he's best - the box.

Pickford

Walker Maguire Mings Chillwell

Mount Rice Grealish

Foden Kane Sancho
Yes good line up.
But I would give Kane a rest and bring him on if nessesary.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've noticed with these line ups pretty much everyone wants grealish and foden

Nobody wants sterling. Which makes so much sense..yes he scored but blimey does he waste the ball the rest of the time

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Nobody wants sterling. Which makes so much sense..yes he scored but blimey does he waste the ball the rest of the time

We've not had Grealish for 90 mins yet. Everyone wants it. Fans, Pundits, Ex England players - everyone is saying the same thing.

Let the ballers go and play - TOGETHER. They'll create the chances for Kane that no one else can.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He did it at Liverpool
Does it at City.
But others bail him out.
He never takes anyone on anymore so his pace is wasted.
When he’s good he’s good but it’s not often enough.
Given his season I am suprized he got in the squad.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know if Sterling has ever been that great for England. He's done well for City under Pep, and improved under him, but it's all based on the way they play, with 75% possession and good movement to get in the box for tap-ins, essentially. Last season was a downturn in number of goals for him, and for England he has 15 in 63 which is nothing to write home about really - in 2019 was his best spell as he got 8 in 9 that year - including a hat-trick against Czech Republic, funnily enough. But generally without the number of close range chances he gets at City, I'm not sure he offers enough. I think Sancho may well be a better player overall, for that right-sided pacey player role. I wouldn't use Rashford either as I don't think he's a very good or consistent finisher. I do concede that Sancho hasn't proved he's any better yet, but I think he should get a chance to do that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He did it at Liverpool
Does it at City.
But others bail him out.
He never takes anyone on anymore so his pace is wasted.
When he’s good he’s good but it’s not often enough.
Given his season I am suprized he got in the squad.

That's the thing he's got in on his name not his form, which Southgate said would happen, and it's just annoying. Lingard and wardprowse very much inform players , yes less "talented" but he calls up the names (Henderson and sterling) instead just because of who they are.

Sancho hasn't played yet and grealish barely so what the heck chance does saka have of playing. They say oh get him around the squad be great for him. Some game time wouldn't go a miss.

Wardprowse for example. Next to either rice or Phillips would be excellent just what we need and able to benefit from all the free kicks grealish wins

Alas no. He is at home because Henderson is there. Who hasn't played since Feb..

What message does this send to players. Oh have a great season play really well but sorry no can do because the bigger name who isn't even fully fit is going

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know if Sterling has ever been that great for England. He's done well for City under Pep, and improved under him, but it's all based on the way they play, with 75% possession and good movement to get in the box for tap-ins, essentially. Last season was a downturn in number of goals for him, and for England he has 15 in 63 which is nothing to write home about really - in 2019 was his best spell as he got 8 in 9 that year - including a hat-trick against Czech Republic, funnily enough. But generally without the number of close range chances he gets at City, I'm not sure he offers enough. I think Sancho may well be a better player overall, for that right-sided pacey player role. I wouldn't use Rashford either as I don't think he's a very good or consistent finisher. I do concede that Sancho hasn't proved he's any better yet, but I think he should get a chance to do that.

Apparently someone I work with who knows this stuff he has the most dribbles past for England .. and is our most useful player as he gets in behind

Issue is he has stopped doing this

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the thing he's got in on his name not his form, which Southgate said would happen, and it's just annoying. Lingard and wardprowse very much inform players , yes less "talented" but he calls up the names (Henderson and sterling) instead just because of who they are.

Sancho hasn't played yet and grealish barely so what the heck chance does saka have of playing. They say oh get him around the squad be great for him. Some game time wouldn't go a miss.

Wardprowse for example. Next to either rice or Phillips would be excellent just what we need and able to benefit from all the free kicks grealish wins

Alas no. He is at home because Henderson is there. Who hasn't played since Feb..

What message does this send to players. Oh have a great season play really well but sorry no can do because the bigger name who isn't even fully fit is going
Hard to disagree with that.
But he’s taken a few who are not fit .
All managers gamble a bit like this.
But given the forwards we have Sterling should be watching it on TV at home
We have the cover there and JWP should be there I think.
Players who are in form should be playing

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hard to disagree with that.
But he’s taken a few who are not fit .
All managers gamble a bit like this.
But given the forwards we have Sterling should be watching it on TV at home
We have the cover there and JWP should be there I think.
Players who are in form should be playing

Yeah Maguire is a tricky one. Our choices without him aren't great. However his injury was more recent so you could just about understand it

But Feb? It really doesn't make sense at all

Sometimes the lesser players are the ones who surprise you. They want it more

Take Korea 2002 world cup

Gerrard breaks his foot.. Murphy called up. Injured so Sinclair goes .. ends up surprising everyone and being one of our stand out players ..

Just wish we would learn that sometimes it's not about who you are

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah Maguire is a tricky one. Our choices without him aren't great. However his injury was more recent so you could just about understand it

But Feb? It really doesn't make sense at all

Sometimes the lesser players are the ones who surprise you. They want it more

Take Korea 2002 world cup

Gerrard breaks his foot.. Murphy called him. Injured so Sinclair goes .. ends up surprising everyone and being one of our stand out players ..

Just wish we would learn that sometimes it's not about who you are
Yes all our talent is in the young lads but very frustrating that we havnt seen them yet.
But we’re talking GS.