The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Through easily as group winners, no goals conceded and very little energy expended. What more could we ask for 🤷🏼‍♂️

What, apart from building some momentum, finding form, scoring the odd goal and making other sides sit up and take notice?

Seriously, we couldn’t have had an easier group and we’ve made unbelievably hard work of it. Aside from having no momentum this England team, pre-tournament favourites let’s not forget, will go into the first knockout round with absolutely no confidence whatsoever.

If they win the Euros from this position it will be astonishing.

Billysboots

Visit site
Gary Neville hits the nail on the head when he says we cannot afford to mismanage the talent England has at its disposal. And I’m sure even the most vocal Neville hater must agree when he says that Southgate has the solution staring him in the face - the young talent introduced from the bench in the second half.

Sorry, but when it comes down to it boring, rigid football does not win tournaments. Moments of magic unlock the top teams and win tight games. What we have seen for the bulk of the first three games is nowhere near good enough, regardless of the fact we finished as group winners.

Southgate is now, potentially, ninety minutes away from returning to club management. Surely he doesn’t want to finish his time as England manager with regrets. But he will do if he doesn’t allow the players in that squad the opportunity to express themselves like they do at club level.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gary Neville hits the nail on the head when he says we cannot afford to mismanage the talent England has at its disposal. And I’m sure even the most vocal Neville hater must agree when he says that Southgate has the solution staring him in the face - the young talent introduced from the bench in the second half.

Sorry, but when it comes down to it boring, rigid football does not win tournaments. Moments of magic unlock the top teams and win tight games. What we have seen for the bulk of the first three games is nowhere near good enough, regardless of the fact we finished as group winners.

Southgate is now, potentially, ninety minutes away from returning to club management. Surely he doesn’t want to finish his time as England manager with regrets. But he will do if he doesn’t allow the players in that squad the opportunity to express themselves like they do at club level.

90 minutes away from a cushy desk job at the FA. Not sure many clubs would have him. Potter was semi keen on the Leicester job (possibly) then dropped out suddenly. I suspect that he has already been tapped up by the FA

Visit site
That was awful.

Southgate doesn’t make any sense. He refuses to haul off Kane after 2 touches in 45 mins in the first game, he allows Alexander-Arnold to stink the place out for an hour in the first 2 matches, Foden gets 90 mins… And then he hauls Gallagher off at half time who was considerably better than Declan Rice (who has been poor all tournament and is severely limited)

Mainoo was good, Palmer was exciting, Gordon showed promise. Will Southgate pick them in the next game?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

How can you say that Southgate doesn't allow his players to express themselves. He can't be on the pitch telling them what to do. It's up to them as professional footballers to do the business.

The first half was better and Gallagher did OK with his pressing and break up play. I think GS and Co realised that Slovenia didn't play the high press like Denmark did so brought on Mainoo second half to provide more penetration, which he did very well. And Palmer, what a player!

In the group stages teams are generally more defensive and are more cautious. I'm sure we'll see teams open up much more in the knockout stages, which will suit us more.

I have to say though that Bellingham has been very disappointing in the last two games. He's usually so good for England.

I'm gonna finish by saying that I don't think we're going to win the Euro's.
And that's not because of Southgate, it's IMHO that England do not have the right mentality to win the big ones.
I really hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
Boring man, boring football. He's a complete bottle job and that shows in his management style. His main asset has been sheer luck in getting easy groups and easy draws. It even looks like that could happen again this tournament depending on results tomorrow despite us being terrible in every game.

I actually thought we were worse tonight, bar towards the end. Slovenia are a poor side and were quite happy with a draw. We offered literally nothing going forward and a lot of players looked scared to death. Slow build up, misplaced passes, no width, no movement etc etc.

Only positive was that'll be the end of Gallagher in favour of Mainoo and Palmer will start the next game.

Billysboots

Visit site
How can you say that Southgate doesn't allow his players to express themselves. He can't be on the pitch telling them what to do. It's up to them as professional footballers to do the business.

Oh, come on! It’s the manager who sends his players out with instructions, the manager who decides tactics. Southgate has been in post more than long enough now for the watching world to know how conservative he is.

Too many of his players are either not playing well or totally knackered. But throughout his tenure the brand of football has been there for all to see.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The issue with England is they stick too long with a big name. Kane has done nothing but poke a ball in from close distance… how many moves has he failed?
It’s time to drop him, put Foden in the correct place and play Gordon and Palmer .. Use Saka as a sub he has looked tired and has been towards the end of the season so give him time to rest. They have Eze as well so that’s all covered. Watkins and Toney are available.
I did not think Gallagher did a bad job, he moved around he bit at ankles and made it difficult ( this position isn’t pretty and it hard work - Kante is the main man in the world for this position) . Trippier looked tired and we have not seen Gomez yet so perhaps he needs a run out. The Crystal Palace midfielder needs a run out as well perhaps he and Mainoo start and Rice on the bench.
Yes I have just wholesale ripped up the team sheet but the thing is you play the guys in form and the ones who play together.. skill level is all very well but individuals don’t make a team.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Is anyone really suprised by that performance. Everything Gareth has done has been reactive. How many players has he played alongside Rice who has not had the best tournament, and we wonder why. Eventually Southgate would kinda get it right. A right back playing left back who has put one good cross in the box in three games. Gordon goes on the left and the difference is obvious. We are into the fourth game of the tournament and we are no nearer knowing our starting 11.

Southgate is stealing a living. I have said for an age the players have carried Southgate in previous tournaments. This time he expects them to carry him by playing them in the wrong positions.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh, come on! It’s the manager who sends his players out with instructions, the manager who decides tactics. Southgate has been in post more than long enough now for the watching world to know how conservative he is.

Too many of his players are either not playing well or totally knackered. But throughout his tenure the brand of football has been there for all to see.

Don't give me this 'the players are knackered' crap, how can they be?
If they think they're tired it's merely because everyone constantly tells them that they are.
They are just playing badly or they're carrying an injury, as I think is the case with Kane and/or Saka.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think the one slight positive, for me, is that some are now starting to see what Mainoo can bring to the table. I remember daring to suggest he could be worth an England call up after being hugely impressed with his start at Utd, and quite a few said it was too early (one even suggested he should be nowhere near the squad). Now many are calling for him to start.

Palmer also looks unafraid and prepared to go out there and be positive. England are crying out for a player like that, and it could well spark other players around him back to life

Playing a lot of the regulars, it almost feels like they are being too regimented and safe. Honestly no idea what has happened to Bellingham. A player who looked like he could be best player on planet before tournament, has barely touched the ball since he scored in the opening game.

I've no problem with Kane dropping deep, if he had players like Gordon and Palmer prepared to run in behind. But, if Southgate wants England to play with 3 or 4 number 10's, and zero runners, it will be a struggle

PaulMdj

Visit site
Absolutely fuming watching that last night so, trying to be objective, unbiased etc after a good night’s sleep.

Slovenia did well, remember they were unbeaten going in to last night and by their reaction at the end it was a Cup Final for them, disciplined, well organised, we still should be able to beat them for all that.

We won the group (don’t know how) without a single good performance, but can we take that as a positive?🤷‍♂️

Team selection, apart from Guehi, I don’t think any other player can be happy with how they are playing.

Obviously Southgate picks the team, but I still think some players are letting him down, the amount of times they’ve misplaced a pass or lost the ball is staggering.

Tactics/substitutions, solely on Southgate and I think people maybe getting a bit too carried away with the substitutions last night, personally I would bring Mainoo in from the start and move Saka to the left.

Next game is a knockout (obviously) and the players (whoever they are) need to step up.