The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
In defence of taking a few non-fit players, we have been allowed a larger squad of 26. The 3 big injured names are there in the additional 3 spots. Normally we would only be allowed 23 anyway so its a moot point in my eyes!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In defence of taking a few non-fit players, we have been allowed a larger squad of 26. The 3 big injured names are there in the additional 3 spots. Normally we would only be allowed 23 anyway so its a moot point in my eyes!

But that's the thing these extra places are for covid issues incase say Kane tests positive you have that player to take his place

It's not to shoe horn your injured players In.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes point taken.
But Hendo has been out a very long time it takes games to get up to speed but he hasn’t played him yet .
That’s a strange one why take a player who has been out a while if he isn’t one of your starting 11 when fit?
But he could be put in against a world class team in the knock out stage with no game time behind him.
I find that strange

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes point taken.
But Hendo has been out a very long time it takes games to get up to speed but he hasn’t played him yet .
That’s a strange one why take a player who has been out a while if he isn’t one of your starting 11 when fit?
But he could be put in against a world class team in the knock out stage with no game time behind him.
I find that strange

When fit isn't Henderson first choice tho really? Would be rice and Henderson these days.. he is the captain after all

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Prime example for Scotland Billy Gilmore just tested positive .. so right if that was Phillips . You don't have your wardprowse to step in..you have a half fit Henderson

I'd say same with stones but do we have decent CBS?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When fit isn't Henderson first choice tho really? Would be rice and Henderson these days.. he is the captain after all
Yes that’s what I was trying to say.
He is normally a starter when fit so why has he not played him ?
He needs game time .
Maybe the penalty fiasco with DCL has a bearing.
As a fit Hendo plays imo.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes that’s what I was trying to say.
He is normally a starter when fit so why has he not played him ?
He needs game time .
Maybe the penalty fiasco with DCL has a bearing.
As a fit Hendo plays imo.

It will be the "saving him for the knockout" rubbish which disrespects those who got through the group

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Understand this but for me you still don't take someone who's liable to miss all three group games, that's probably over 50% of the tournament for us. It's a waste of a spot. Your argument would be fine if they hadn't played much recently but were at least ready for inclusion on the first game.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Prime example for Scotland Billy Gilmore just tested positive .. so right if that was Phillips . You don't have your wardprowse to step in..you have a half fit Henderson

I'd say same with stones but do we have decent CBS?

Rice, Phillips, Mount, Grealish, Bellingham and Foden all capable of playing CM - Hendo is an experienced bonus.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure Grealish is the answer to Englands problems. A lot is made about the number of free kicks he wins but most of our set pieces have been dreadful, unable to beat the first defender. Also, at the end of the Scotland match he was going backwards towards his own goal with ample opportunity to pass back or out to the wing but was more content to hold onto the ball and get a free kick in hs own half. Not sure what the point of that was but maybe the critics who say he holds onto the ball too long may have a point?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Understand this but for me you still don't take someone who's liable to miss all three group games, that's probably over 50% of the tournament for us. It's a waste of a spot. Your argument would be fine if they hadn't played much recently but were at least ready for inclusion on the first game.

I see absolutely no need for them at all. If the 23 squad isnt good enough then thats down to depth selection in those areas - we took how many defenders!

Could easily remove White and Chilwell (as he doesnt seem to be having a chance despite winning the CL) from this squad!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see absolutely no need for them at all. If the 23 squad isnt good enough then thats down to depth selection in those areas - we took how many defenders!

Could easily remove White and Chilwell (as he doesnt seem to be having a chance despite winning the CL) from this squad!
Surely Saka? Fourth choice left back if you count Trippier, and sixth choice winger. But as pauljames said above, the extra spots were to cover emergency Covid withdrawals I guess.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Surely Saka? Fourth choice left back if you count Trippier, and sixth choice winger. But as pauljames said above, the extra spots were to cover emergency Covid withdrawals I guess.

Another name to add to my list really - just forgot about him! I am counting tripper as cover for both FB's.

Id rather have Hendo there than not.

Maguire there as CB3 as even 90% fit he's better than Coady.

Feels to me like a squad picked to play 5 - 3 - 2 yet we're playing 4-3-3

Weird all round

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another name to add to my list really - just forgot about him! I am counting tripper as cover for both FB's.

Id rather have Hendo there than not.

Maguire there as CB3 as even 90% fit he's better than Coady.

Feels to me like a squad picked to play 5 - 3 - 2 yet we're playing 4-3-3

Weird all round
This was my assumption as well! I figured Walker was in to be the third CB, White was added as cover for Stones & Mings to play there as well. Back five was the only thing that made sense when he called up so many wide players and centre backs.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It seems the plucky Scots have got their excuse now Gilmour has tested positive and Mc Ginn and Robertson will be self isolating

Fortunately for England none of their players need to self isolate as they didnt get close enough to Gilmour the other night ???

Hopefully he gave Sterling a massive hug and kiss after the game ?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh I'm sorry.. didn't realize the rest of the team being of a good standard made you a good captain

Idiot.

You still havent answered how many trophies these other "leaders" have won in comparison.

Quite a few England players as well as Liverpool players have talked at length on how Jordan is a great leader and captain, plus the one who got all of the premiership captains together for the NHS campaign.

Personally, I would rather have him back here with TAA rather than playing for a tin pot manager in a team that is supported by fickle, stupid and blame culture fans, in the main.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
You still havent answered how many trophies these other "leaders" have won in comparison.

Quite a few England players as well as Liverpool players have talked at length on how Jordan is a great leader and captain, plus the one who got all of the premiership captains together for the NHS campaign.
Aye, but that penalty though.