The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Much is being made of the fact that finishing second in the group means England avoid France, Germany or Portugal in the last 16.

Frankly, as I have already said, we are not good enough to start manufacturing results in order to plot a favoured path to Euros glory.

Just try and win every match, and if we’re good enough, we’re good enough. If not, then so be it. But if we’re not, then let’s not go down wondering what might have been in the event Southgate allowed the players to actually express themselves.

But express themselves they won’t. The alarm bells have been ringing for me for a couple of years, but reached deafening levels when Southgate included Jordan Henderson in his squad. That one selection said everything. Henderson will be a bit part player at this tournament, at best. If he was an indispensable squad member I might just be able to understand it, but he simply isn’t.

And all the cobblers about Henderson being a leader regardless of whether he actually played is garbage. Any player who needs to seek inspiration from an injured squad member like Henderson shouldn’t be in the squad themselves.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Much is being made of the fact that finishing second in the group means England avoid France, Germany or Portugal in the last 16.

Frankly, as I have already said, we are not good enough to start manufacturing results in order to plot a favoured path to Euros glory.

Just try and win every match, and if we’re good enough, we’re good enough. If not, then so be it. But if we’re not, then let’s not go down wondering what might have been in the event Southgate allowed the players to actually express themselves.

But express themselves they won’t. The alarm bells have been ringing for me for a couple of years, but reached deafening levels when Southgate included Jordan Henderson in his squad. That one selection said everything. Henderson will be a bit part player at this tournament, at best. If he was an indispensable squad member I might just be able to understand it, but he simply isn’t.

And all the cobblers about Henderson being a leader regardless of whether he actually played is garbage. Any player who needs to seek inspiration from an injured squad member like Henderson shouldn’t be in the squad themselves.

Why do they need hendersons apparent "leadership" the team is full of leaders..

Kane
Maigure
Grealish
Rice

All captains of their clubs .. more than enough leadership

Don't need someone who's cockey enough to take a pen off someone when half fit and not even a decent pen taker ? I'm sure that went down well with the squad

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The pundits favourite - "the team without possession has to work harder"
Is there any science behind this?

Most teams with the ball need to keep moving to create space to receive passes. Is there really much difference?

D

Deleted member 15344

The only reason for not taking Henderson would be if he wasn’t fit or injured , fit imo he should be one of the first on the team sheet along with Kane - but also imo he should be the captain , but if as with Maguire they aren’t fit enough to play any part in the first two games then it’s just wasting spots in the squad and both should have been left at home.

Southgate doesn’t know how to let players express themselves - his managerial record is poor and he stumbled into the job when Allardyce got caught out. You would have thought after the Hodgson era there would be a learning lesson - seems the World Cup gave them an excuse to ignore the shortcomings

D

Deleted member 16999

The tactics in the last game were terrible, it felt like I was watching a training session. Foden getting the ball and passing it back straight away despite being in a good position to have a go at the fb. It was all over the pitch, barely anyone with a positive movement. That must have come from the manager, stifling players rather than trusting them to play their own game.
This and the fact the Players believe the “hype” that they only have to turn up and they can stroll around while the opposition lay down.
The most frustrating part for me though is the lack of fight or frustration after 20 minutes when they see it’s not going to plan.
Situations like this I don’t see a natural leader on the pitch stirring them up. At least when fit, Jordan Henderson does this and can step up, infact, I don’t think we have anyone else apart from him that is a natural leader.

D

Deleted member 15344

Kane
Maigure
Grealish
Rice

Don't need someone who's cockey enough to take a pen off someone when half fit and not even a decent pen taker ? I'm sure that went down well with the squad

Being given an armband doesn’t make a person a leader - Henderson is imo the only person who is actually a leader both on and off the pitch - others maybe captains but not leaders

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Kane
Maigure
Grealish
Rice

I agree, but it’s Henderson’s leadership qualities which are being widely cited as the reason he was included.

Sorry, even if he is back in full training, there is an absolute world of difference between that and being match fit for international tournament football. A really odd decision to include him, but one of many odd decisions which seem to be the hallmark of Southgate’s management.

D

Deleted member 15344

Jesus, red card for that?? That's a yellow all day. What a crazy decision. Game ruined now. ?

It’s late with studs onto the foot with a bit of force - it’s one where it’s hard to see a red card being overturned and you can see why they give it - a soft red card maybe

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree, but it’s Henderson’s leadership qualities which are being widely cited as the reason he was included.

Sorry, even if he is back in full training, there is an absolute world of difference between that and being match fit for international tournament football. A really odd decision to include him, but one of many odd decisions which seem to be the hallmark of Southgate’s management.

England have it all wrong
Form not names

Other countries do so and the "lesser" players are workers and pull together rather than have inflated egos from being undroppable

Sterling not a good season but just walks into first team

Sacho good season bench

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Referee is appaulling...... allowing Italian cynical fouls to go without cards. Player bursting into the penalty area is bundled off the ball.... just a foul given but in that location should always be yellow at this stage of the game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s late with studs onto the foot with a bit of force - it’s one where it’s hard to see a red card being overturned and you can see why they give it - a soft red card maybe
I didn't think it was reckless, he stayed on his feet, wasn't diving in or two footed, just a fraction late and catches the player. I'd always see that as a yellow card challenge personally. Very harsh to send him off, and you could see Ampadu and his teammates were stunned.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't think it was reckless, he stayed on his feet, wasn't diving in or two footed, just a fraction late and catches the player. I'd always see that as a yellow card challenge personally. Very harsh to send him off, and you could see Ampadu and his teammates were stunned.
Yeah... badly timed... never reckless

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s excellent for Wales to get second place - they look like they will play Finland , Denmark or Russia , really great chance for them to get into the quarters.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Are you even remotely aware that England could finish 3rd in the group