The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
But England weren't playing 433

It was either 4141 or 4231

I think we needed to play with a back 3 and push everything forward and have 2 up against the 3 central defenders.

The main problem last night was the complete lack of movement up front. Which against a team playing 541 is essential. Its hard to play forward if there is nothing to play forward to.

But that’s me point, what exactly was it ? 433, 4141, and with 2 defensive midfielders I don’t know how you came to that and 4231.
Come what may, none of them worked and that’s down to the manager.

D

Deleted member 16999

Is that really a serious question Paul?

Pep plays attractive winning football in Spain,Germany and England. He is a serial winner. Then you ask if I wanted him sacking after a bad six weeks.

Theres two phrases that spring to mind when talking about football.

The beautiful game.
Well under Southgate, it’s pig ugly.

Footballs coming home.
If it’s played in a pig ugly way alla southgates way, I prefer it to stay on mainland Europe.

re what Beezerk said re Pep, I honestly would not mind if he jacked in with City and managed England.

At this moment in time the whole of England needs a lift re what’s happened re Covid etc. Southgate is helping to make this country even more depressing.

I know LP has liked me post but even Klopp, and a few others would get a hell of a lot more out of that squad. What that England team Is missing is passion.
You wanted Southgate sacked after 1 performance, yes it was shocking, yes we were awful, but it’s 1 performance.

Judge him after the tournament, he got us to the WC Semi-Final, got no credit for it, apparently it was all luck.:rolleyes:

He got us through qualifying with games to spare, got no credit for it, apparently it was all luck.:rolleyes:

We strolled past Croatia in the 1st game quite easily, Croatia are apparently weak now.:rolleyes:

The covid comment is ridiculous!

The only people who seem the most upset with Southgate are those who expected him to change the way he plays and sets teams up, quite naive to be honest.
He will never play the flair players unshackled, he’ll play the solid straight forward players and play defensively.

As for passion, please, they should be able to show passion and desire regardless of who the manager is!

The style of play is shocking, but he’s the manager, so I hope he proves us all wrong in this tournament because it aint going to change during it and he isn’t going to be sacked during it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
As for passion, please, they should be able to show passion and desire regardless of who the manager is!

In an ideal world yes but a lot depends on how the manager has set his players expectations and prepared them for the game.

I can imagine GS saying something like "for Scotland this is a big game, don't get involved, don't get caught up in the passion, stay calm and treat it like any other game"....20 minutes in and the game is passing most of the England team by because they've not been "at it" from the off.

Unfortunately the annual England - Scotland game gets played so rarely that most folks south of the border have forgotten what it means.....next to the FA Cup Final it was once the biggest game in the domestic sporting calendar....the players today just don't realise just HOW MUCH it means and what levels of commitment are needed....if the manager has a wishy washy approach then we are guaranteed a wishy washy performance.

Tashyboy

Visit site
You wanted Southgate sacked after 1 performance, yes it was shocking, yes we were awful, but it’s 1 performance.

Judge him after the tournament, he got us to the WC Semi-Final, got no credit for it, apparently it was all luck.:rolleyes:

He got us through qualifying with games to spare, got no credit for it, apparently it was all luck.:rolleyes:

We strolled past Croatia in the 1st game quite easily, Croatia are apparently weak now.:rolleyes:

The covid comment is ridiculous!

The only people who seem the most upset with Southgate are those who expected him to change the way he plays and sets teams up, quite naive to be honest.
He will never play the flair players unshackled, he’ll play the solid straight forward players and play defensively.

The style of play is shocking, but he’s the manager, so I hope he proves us all wrong in this tournament because it aint going to change during it and he isn’t going to be sacked during it.

1, I want him sacked coz he is taking us down dead end street, and if you think it’s after one performance then you are So wrong.
2, Judge him after the tournament. Why? This is not Britain’s got talent. After 2 games Simon Cowell would of pressed the buzzer.
3, He got us through with games to spare? ? Montenegros, Kosovo, Bulgaria and the Czechs seriously. ?
4, The country don’t need a lift coz of Covid, am sure it does.

4LEX

Visit site
Croatia were bang average in Russia and have got worse since to be honest. They reached the final with two pen shoot outs and beating us in extra time after we let them off the hook in the first half. I think as bad as England were last night, Croatia were even worse in both their games so far. I fully expect Scotland to do them on Tuesday and hope they do.

Taking a reflective mood on England after passions ran high, finishing second is a better run to the final and more games away from Wembley untill the semi finals, thus less pressure. No doubt we'll win Tuesday and finish top now :ROFLMAO:

Results wise Southgate has done a good job, however with the players at his disposal it's the bare minimum. We really have no style and no clear game plan. You've got 5 subs and the highest quality bench in the tournament and you don't use it? He's too scared to make a big call and get it wrong. The same will happen in the knock outs when it really counts. Hope I'm wrong and he switchs it up or gets it spot on tactically.

D

Deleted member 29109

But that’s me point, what exactly was it ? 433, 4141, and with 2 defensive midfielders I don’t know how you came to that and 4231.
Come what may, none of them worked and that’s down to the manager.

I watched the game and tried to work it out.

Formations are fluid. Vary rarely dose a top team stick to a rigid formation.

Niether does it matter what the perceived position of a player is on what formation a team plays.

D

Deleted member 16999

1, I want him sacked coz he is taking us down dead end street, and if you think it’s after one performance then you are So wrong.
2, Judge him after the tournament. Why? This is not Britain’s got talent. After 2 games Simon Cowell would of pressed the buzzer.
3, He got us through with games to spare? ? Montenegros, Kosovo, Bulgaria and the Czechs seriously. ?
4, The country don’t need a lift coz of Covid, am sure it does.
Are you being serious?
1. Unless you can see the future, it’s a guess.

2. The FA will not sack the England Manager while we are still in the tournament.

3. You can play the teams you are drawn against. Obviously you’d of preferred a last minute winner in the last qualifier.:rolleyes:

4. IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE ENGLAND FOOTBALL MANAGER TO RAISE THE COUNTRIES SPIRITS. Did you say the same about the Rugby or Cricket Head Coach’s?

D

Deleted member 16999

In an ideal world yes but a lot depends on how the manager has set his players expectations and prepared them for the game.

I can imagine GS saying something like "for Scotland this is a big game, don't get involved, don't get caught up in the passion, stay calm and treat it like any other game"....20 minutes in and the game is passing most of the England team by because they've not been "at it" from the off.

Unfortunately the annual England - Scotland game gets played so rarely that most folks south of the border have forgotten what it means.....next to the FA Cup Final it was once the biggest game in the domestic sporting calendar....the players today just don't realise just HOW MUCH it means and what levels of commitment are needed....if the manager has a wishy washy approach then we are guaranteed a wishy washy performance.
I don’t disagree with anything you say, but some of it is more down to attitude than passion.

Pulling on that England shirt should provide all the passion anyone would need.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I watched the game and tried to work it out.

Formations are fluid. Vary rarely dose a top team stick to a rigid formation.

Niether does it matter what the perceived position of a player is on what formation a team plays.

it don’t matter what the perceived position of a player is if they move like they do at City. But England are as rigid as they come

Tashyboy

Visit site
Are you being serious?
1. Unless you can see the future, it’s a guess.

2. The FA will not sack the England Manager while we are still in the tournament.

3. You can play the teams you are drawn against. Obviously you’d of preferred a last minute winner in the last qualifier.:rolleyes:

4. IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE ENGLAND FOOTBALL MANAGER TO RAISE THE COUNTRIES SPIRITS. Did you say the same about the Rugby or Cricket Head Coach’s?

1, Ave seen the past and the present, it equals the futur.
2, who said sack the manager during the tournament.Ave said sack him but not said now.
3, That answer is rammel, but if we qualified with games to spare. How comes we did not use them games to try to get some kind of momentum, some kind of style of play. We didn’t and still haven’t.
4, So By your reasoning the whole of Scotland is in mourning after yesterday’s result. Me finks it is still celebrating And Scotland has had a massive lift. Remember when England won the rugby World Cup. I remember exactly where I was . It gave the country a lift.

D

Deleted member 16999

1, Ave seen the past and the present, it equals the futur.

Let’s hope he proves us wrong
2, who said sack the manager during the tournament.Ave said sack him but not said now.
You’re waffling, simon cowell, press the buzzer etc? So sack him, but keep him in charge or a secreto_O
3, That answer is rammel, but if we qualified with games to spare. How comes we did not use them games to try to get some kind of momentum, some kind of style of play. We didn’t and still haven’t.
It hasn’t changed since his first game in charge, but his results are the best for an England Manager since Sir Bobby.
4, So By your reasoning the whole of Scotland is in mourning after yesterday’s result. Me finks it is still celebrating And Scotland has had a massive lift. Remember when England won the rugby World Cup. I remember exactly where I was . It gave the country a lift.
It only matters to those who follow or care about Football, the majority don’t

https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/and-were-off-2016-17.85762/page-157

I’m hoping the link works, it’s from the 2016/17 thread when he was appointed, if you read it you’ll see then I thought he was awful and should never of got the job.

Unfortunately we are stuck with him and he should be judged on results, right now we are still in a tournament and I will not hope our National Team fail just so we can sack the Manager.

We will probably win on Tuesday, but don’t expect too much.??

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Judging by the comments on here, am not the only one. Have a look on the BBC comments page re England.

You're not wrong, however I think there are many supporters who are hoping England fail just so they can stick the knife in.
I'm finding all the recent 'fallout' both strange and hilarious, in equal measure.
I'm not struck by his team selections, style of play or substitutions ............................ but I still want him to be successful.
I'd sooner England win boring than get beaten in the next round playing expansive footy.
He knows a shed load more about the game than I do, I'm happy leaving it to him.

Come on England!!

Tashyboy

Visit site
I have said me piece re England to both Paul and Slime, but this current style of play is depressing me. As a City fan Ave an NVQ degree in rammel football. Maybe I have been spoilt watching “ the beautiful game under Mancini, Pelligriin and Pep. And as much as I point a finger at Southgate. It’s his employers the Fa who really twist my Tash.
Ave seen your link Paul and History has shown you were not wrong. If I had seen any glimmer of progress since then, then alls well. But to not see Sancho, and others not kick a ball in this tournament would be nowt short of shocking.

D

Deleted member 16999

I have said me piece re England to both Paul and Slime, but this current style of play is depressing me. As a City fan Ave an NVQ degree in rammel football. Maybe I have been spoilt watching “ the beautiful game under Mancini, Pelligriin and Pep. And as much as I point a finger at Southgate. It’s his employers the Fa who really twist my Tash.
Ave seen your link Paul and History has shown you were not wrong. If I had seen any glimmer of progress since then, then alls well. But to not see Sancho, and others not kick a ball in this tournament would be nowt short of shocking.
Same here mate, sadly Southgate will not change, have a good evening.(y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Me personally would prefer to see England give it a go and loose than what we saw yesterday. Playing like that is not going to get us through the next round. Watching England yesterday reminded me of watching LIverpool at times last year. Would dominate possession, but not able to find a way of breaking the opposition down.
Liverpool on a bad day!
We weren’t that bad most of the time.;)

Tashyboy

Visit site
Same here mate, sadly Southgate will not change, have a good evening.(y)

Have a good evening ?. missis T has just said “ yer England flag is upside down “. Ave had a look on me flag pole. She changed the help for heroes flag earlier today for the England flag. It has England through the middle. Only ENGLAND was upside down ?
Its the first ever flag she has put up and the last ??
Look after yourself me man. ?