The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hypothetical question. Which is preferable? To win The FA Cup for the first time and qualify for The Europa League OR Runners Up in FA Cup and 3rd in Premier League with qualification for The Champions League? For me it would be The Champions League.
I have never been asked how many times we have qualified for the CL.
But have how many times we won FA cup.

The CL is about money.
Do you think you could win it?
As fans it’s nice to see the captain lift that trophy no better feeling.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
[
Hypothetical question. Which is preferable? To win The FA Cup for the first time and qualify for The Europa League OR Runners Up in FA Cup and 3rd in Premier League with qualification for The Champions League? For me it would be The Champions League.
FA cup. For me. ?

D

Deleted member 16999

I think for Leicester and any other team who hadn’t won the FA Cup or a Team desperate for a trophy, like Everton etc it’s win the FA Cup and take the Europa League.

For the more succesful of late it has to be the CL imo.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
FA Cup every time. The history is huge and I recall the days when the build up on TV was such that Cup Final Saturday started at about 10am with special Question of Sport and then also the players in their cup final suits etc...loved it.

Indeed and it being the only game of the day and a 3pm kick off!

#nostalgia ain’t what it used to be.

D

Deleted member 15344

Trophies should always be the priority but for some clubs CL is crucial - winning the domestic cup is great and it’s a trophy into the cabinet but the club would take CL over that , the fans though will want the trophy, the players may well want the CL as well

Financially getting to the CL is worth around £70mil alone to a club - winning the FA Cup is around £3mil

History wise the FA Cup is all there - it’s a shame that the domestic cups are now low in priority for many clubs

Maybe it’s worth having one CL spot to the winners

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trophies are forever. 3rd in the PL is barely a footnote in history or in the memory.

A chairman would say CL, I'd say trophy please.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've watched the last 25 minutes of the Bournemouth v Brentford game and frankly Bournemouth have been horrible. Equivalent to Italian teams from the 70's and 80's. Time wasting, niggly fouls, Begovic in particular. It hasn't worked, Brentford scored towards the end and went through.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've watched the last 25 minutes of the Bournemouth v Brentford game and frankly Bournemouth have been horrible. Equivalent to Italian teams from the 70's and 80's. Time wasting, niggly fouls, Begovic in particular. It hasn't worked, Brentford scored towards the end and went through.

what do you expect from a side down to 10 men in the first half in a play off game when level?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Be less horrible ?.

I understand they were effectively playing for penalties, not compulsory incidentally, but the manner left a bad taste.

haha, i get that feeling a lot lately as an arsenal fan :)

sending off changed the game completely, first 20 mins were great, brentford gifting them a goal then a soft penalty and the red card left bournemouth little other option really, was always going to be a lively game, hard to criticise sides too much with whats at stake esp when down to 10 for me

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The pressure of those occasions is immense, fair point. I initially criticised Brentford for not looking like much but then rewrote my post for that very reason. You can't judge teams in games like this.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The pressure of those occasions is immense, fair point. I initially criticised Brentford for not looking like much but then rewrote my post for that very reason. You can't judge teams in games like this.

Brentford are a remarkable team

They buy players cheap then sell for a profit to invest in the team

They sold their best player to us (who's not quite hit the prem running but showing glimpses)

They might struggle in prem only because their scouting system is almost impossible now

The head of recruitment left, and his whole basis was based on buying young players cheap from the EU

Which after brexit they wouldn't get the work permits so easy