The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Morfeen75

Visit site
I'm with LT. The stats with him in and out the team show what a difference he makes. Yes they do have more strength in depth than all the other sides but he is still a key part to how they play. I think in the CL in particular it will be a big miss. Maybe against lesser PL sides his injury won't be as missed but in crucial games against United, Liverpool etc it will be a massive hole to fill
I certainly agree he'll be a bigger miss in the CL games than the PL games. However, i still think City will cope well enough without him in PL. All teams lose players and have to manage injuries, City will be fine without him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I certainly agree he'll be a bigger miss in the CL games than the PL games. However, i still think City will cope well enough without him in PL. All teams lose players and have to manage injuries, City will be fine without him.
Have you not seen the stats with and without Rodri? Didn't he go over a year without losing a game, meanwhile they lost 4 or 5 times when he wasn't playing. He is by far their most important player.

Morfeen75

Visit site
Have you not seen the stats with and without Rodri? Didn't he go over a year without losing a game, meanwhile they lost 4 or 5 times when he wasn't playing. He is by far their most important player.
I've not seen the stats. If the stats are correct then they could be judged to be a 1 man team, based on stats alone.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've not seen the stats. If the stats are correct then they could be judged to be a 1 man team, based on stats alone.
That's an overly simplistic view. He is very important, as De Bruyne was for many years, as Salah is for Liverpool, Odegaard for Arsenal, Son for Spurs and so on. It doesn't make them a one man team, it just makes them a very key cog in the works. A cog that is very difficult to replace with a player of equivalent standing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
1727168246382.png

I think it's a pretty significant difference. If you look at that points per game it's the difference between finishing the season on 90 points (highly likely to have won the league) or 72 points (likely 3rd place).

Morfeen75

Visit site
That's an overly simplistic view. He is very important, as De Bruyne was for many years, as Salah is for Liverpool, Odegaard for Arsenal, Son for Spurs and so on. It doesn't make them a one man team, it just makes them a very key cog in the works. A cog that is very difficult to replace with a player of equivalent standing.
Not quite, stats can be misleading. For example, those games he's not played in and they lost, was it the exact team minus him that played in all of the other games he played that they won? Was there any other players missing? It may just be coincidental that they lost those games but actually others were missing too.

It often amuses me when PL mangers/fans complain about injuries, every team suffers injuries, its part of foootball. Get on with it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not quite, stats can be misleading. For example, those games he's not played in and they lost, was it the exact team minus him that played in all of the other games he played that they won? Was there any other players missing? It may just be coincidental that they lost those games but actually others were missing too.

It often amuses me when PL mangers/fans complain about injuries, every team suffers injuries, its part of foootball. Get on with it.
City aren't wailing and pulling out their hair. It's just a potentially key moment in the season. Same as if Haarland was injured for them. No one is crying for City, their squad is as strong as it gets, but this will likely impact their year

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a fact Rodri is a massive player for us and a huge loss. It's not only his ability but his leadership skills too. With Kovacic and Gundogan we have good cover without doubt but neither quite as superb in the holding role as Rodri.

I'm just sad for him as he's in his prime and ACL injuries can be career changing/limiting. Hopefully not.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He is part of the on the pitch team - would you prefer the ref got it wrong and the 4th official or linesman said nothing
If he’s good enough at his job he wouldn’t get it so wrong ,he had a perfect view.

How many on here would get rid of VAR and accept refs make mistakes sometimes.
I would put this in the same category.

But going from he got the ball and it’s a throw in , to a yellow and red shows a lack of skill imo.
He should have given nothing until he’d spoken to Taylor who must have been in his ear and eventually caused three red cards.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If he’s good enough at his job he wouldn’t get it so wrong ,he had a perfect view.

But going from he got the ball and it’s a throw in , to a yellow and red shows a lack of skill imo.
He should have given nothing until he’d spoken to Taylor who must have been in his ear and eventually caused three red cards.
Totally agree. Had he not been swayed and the throw in had happened it would have carried on without incident. The fact that Taylor got involved (and the fact it hasn't been reviewed during or after the game) escalated something the referee had control off

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

There is not one single ref in the game now or ever that gets every single decision right - it’s impossible

The ref made an instant call as they all do - he was then given further information and changed his decision to the correct one

It’s no different to a ref given a throw in one way and the linesman saying it should be the other way

MGW deserved to get a yellow card and rightly got a yellow card

Can’t believe there are complaints of referee getting it right by using his team on the field

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There is not one single ref in the game now or ever that gets every single decision right - it’s impossible

The ref made an instant call as they all do - he was then given further information and changed his decision to the correct one

It’s no different to a ref given a throw in one way and the linesman saying it should be the other way

MGW deserved to get a yellow card and rightly got a yellow card

Can’t believe there are complaints of referee getting it right by using his team on the field
You are missing the point. Irrespective of whether the decision was right, the referee had said play on and given the throw. No-one was incensed and it was only when Taylor got involved and persuaded him to change his mind that it kicked off. Let the referee do the job he is there to do and only get involved in a clear and obvious error. The ref must have told Taylor he had seen it and was happy