The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He did when he was working at the Echo.
Have you seen that the deal seems to be done for Everton? The Freidkin Group, owners of Roma, who pulled out previously whilst doing due diligence. It just needs PL approval now.

I thought the Palace guy had exclusivity at this moment 🤷‍♀️ . Hopefully it goes through this time.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Rarely had an independent other official aside from linesmen from each team (so hardly neutral) and so I had to take their input with due diligence and more than once ignored an offside flag (player coming onto a ball from his own half being a prime example). And to answer the other part of course not but at the level I refereed at, they were lucky to get an official and so most accepted the decision being made with "best intent". Sadly at local recreation grounds VAR and a chance to look at a monitor was in shot supply (no wait, there wasn't even such a thing) and we were allowed to make a decision on what we saw at that time. Of course I think you already knew the answer
You are crucifying Taylor, surely he was acting with “best intent” he was closer to the tackle, with a different point of view and advised the Ref MGS got a lot of the player, a bit of the ball and warranted a Yellow card, all he’s done is his job, the Ref could of ignored Taylor.

Would you rather Refs ignored 4th Officials?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Have you seen that the deal seems to be done for Everton? The Freidkin Group, owners of Roma, who pulled out previously whilst doing due diligence. It just needs PL approval now.

I thought the Palace guy had exclusivity at this moment 🤷‍♀️ . Hopefully it goes through this time.
Only the Club statement, I believe the Palace guy was having trouble selling his stake in Palace and PL rules prohibit involvement in 2 Clubs.🤷‍♂️

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
He isn’t an outside influence- he is part of the official team , it’s not just the referee making the decisions now and hasn’t been for a while

MGW did tackle that’s been outlawed for a while and it was a correct yellow card. Point the finger of blame at MGW
I agree. But you're missing the point entirely. Don't signal a decision until consulting with your officiating team if you're not sure.

I'm still waiting for another example of where the referee has made a decision on field, only to change his mind mere moments later. I suspect you can't find one, because you wouldn't make the call until you (and the rest of the officials) are sure.

As I have already said, If he'd whipped out his yellow card straight away, literally no one would have had any issues and the only red card would have been MGW, and the two unnecessary reds for both coaches wouldn't have been given.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I agree. But you're missing the point entirely. Don't signal a decision until consulting with your officiating team if you're not sure.

I'm still waiting for another example of where the referee has made a decision on field, only to change his mind mere moments later. I suspect you can't find one, because you wouldn't make the call until you (and the rest of the officials) are sure.

As I have already said, If he'd whipped out his yellow card straight away, literally no one would have had any issues and the only red card would have been MGW, and the two unnecessary reds for both coaches wouldn't have been given.
Surely that’s no different to a Ref making a decision and a Linesman waving their flag to attract their attention, the 4th Official can only communicate on what he’s seen if it’s different to the Refs initial reaction.

The Ref waved play on immediately after MGW made the tackle as he called it as he saw it, the 4th Official was closer and saw it from a different angle and spoke to the Ref straight away.

I’d also expect the 4th Official to speak to the Ref if he incorrectly gives a yellow card for no reason.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

They are allowed to change their mind when they are consulted by their team

It’s a good thing

Refs sees it one way from an angle , team mate sees it from a different better angle - they consult and he changes his decision, that’s a good thing. Would rather they did that than just being stubborn and sticking with a wrong decision

He didn’t blow the whistle because he though the player got the ball hence his initial call - he then changed when being consulted

As for the second point, sorry but I don’t input into my brain every single decision made - but I wish they had changed their mind for some of the wrong decisions they have made in the past

It was the correct decision - it was a yellow card , and the officials got to the right decision between them

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you know why they pulled out previously?
Couldn’t agree a price.
Were they not worried about getting caught up with the previous lot who had exclusivity and have lent the club money? They are in financial trouble and they were worried that the club and so them, would get tied in with their debt, and any potential legal action.

That was how I'd read it.

Presumably, if the above is correct, this has been resolved.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Were they not worried about getting caught up with the previous lot who had exclusivity and have lent the club money? They are in financial trouble and they were worried that the club and so them, would get tied in with their debt, and any potential legal action.

That was how I'd read it.

Presumably, if the above is correct, this has been resolved.
This group has already lent us £200 mil. 🤷‍♂️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As another Forest fan, can only say that MGW's tackle was somewhat reckless and risky - even if in the end, he did get the ball. IMO, it was certainly a yellow card challenge. I can sort of see Aztec's point but can't deny the right outcome was given. Between them, the refereeing team got it right.

But darn good equaliser though ...

PaulMdj

Visit site
Lending is different to owning. Owning makes them responsible for the other debts. Lending just makes you another creditor. With the issues around that other company they need to make sure they didn't get tied into their mess.
But possibly the money owed to them has been used to do the deal.