The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I don’t think anyone can say 100% Rodri went down like he was shot . Sky tried everything camera angle but none of the cameras could decisively give what really happened.

He was certainly down for a while on a “coming together”

But every team at times employs the “dark arts” - blimey Fernandinho used to be the master of it

Silva rattled a few as well

Bernardo Silva on difference between Arsenal and Liverpool games:

"Well, perhaps because Liverpool has already won the Premier League and Arsenal hasn't".

"Liverpool at that time had also won a UCL, while Arsenal hasn't"

"Liverpool always faced us head-on, to win matches. From that perspective, our games against Arsenal haven't been like the matches against Liverpool were, and still are", told TNT

Still laughing at Haaland bouncing the ball straight off Gabriel’s head 😂😂😂😂

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of talk about individuals and the dark arts. Not sure there's many teams where EVERY player on the pitch is willing and able to employ them.

I agree with Bernardo too. Arsenal have failed this past two seasons as they lacked the courage to take a risk.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Lots of talk about individuals and the dark arts. Not sure there's many teams where EVERY player on the pitch is willing and able to employ them.

I agree with Bernardo too. Arsenal have failed this past two seasons as they lacked the courage to take a risk.
Think that was definitely the case last season - they faced Man City when they were on a roll and imo just didn’t go for it

Whenever we faced city we didn’t sit back , they went at City looking to get a result

Been some great games over the last 6 years

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm a Forest supporter. I was annoyed, then I watched it again a couple of times.
Yes the ref ruled he'd won the ball. But you haven't been allowed to tackle like that for about 25 years. It was the correct decision in the end; just achieved in a way that made it controversial.
I love MGW's passion; he's proper captain material, but that requires not getting carried away and avoiding those sorts of reckless sliding tackles. You can't captain your team from the changing room.
This is kind of where I'm at. I'd be less annoyed if Rob Jones (who wasn't really anywhere near the challenge) had consulted Taylor before confirming his decision, instead of outright saying "He got the ball"...and THEN changing his mind. He just seems to lack control of any game he officiates and I'm still sour on him from giving Boly a sending off for a perfectly good tackle last season, which doesn't help my mindset :LOL:

I wouldn't want MGW to change the way he plays, but on a yellow, definitely be a bit more sensible, and I think, watching back, he'll learn from it. Not ideal to be without him and Nuno next week against a tough Fulham side, but we've got more depth in the squad now.

We took 4 points from Anfield and The Amex and we're still unbeaten. Overall, I'm delighted.

Swango1980

Visit site
The guy on the field is the one refereeing the game. Yes, I get that the 4th official is part of his team - but onfield referee's decision is final (or should be)

He had a very clear view of the incident, he immediately said no foul.

There was no need for him to change his mind, other than Anthony Taylor pulling the strings and also probably being influenced by the eruption from the Brighton bench.

Far from being good refereeing, it's spineless and weak - in my humble opinion.
The assistant referees are there to assist the referee. If the referee makes a call, or doesn't, that fans don't like then often the assistant referees are slammed for not getting involved. But, if they do get involved and fans don't like the call, they are slammed anyway.

They are not VAR, so clear and obvious means nothing. The onfield referee will make an instant call regardless of how confident he is. He can't slow play down. He might not be 100%, so if his colleague gives him new information from their perspective, then he may come to a different call. Or stick with his call if he was 100%

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't want MGW to change the way he plays, but on a yellow, definitely be a bit more sensible, and I think, watching back, he'll learn from it. Not ideal to be without him and Nuno next week against a tough Fulham side, but we've got more depth in the squad now.
Looking at clips of him abusing officials as he has just left the pitch he may miss an extra match or two. Bound to be in the refs report and not a good look. Hopefully something he will learn from (the reaction)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Seems lot of debate on the BBC site including Shearers take - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cj31ne1v5l7o
The chief football writer on the BBC is a guy called Phil McNulty. He is a Utd fan. I don’t have a problem with that, but what I do have a problem with is like a referee you/ he should be neutral. He is a grade one clown.
His headlines for yesterday were.
Streetwise arsenal show they are the real deal amid Man City pain.

He then goes on to write.
Quote,
Leandro Trossard followed up a clumsy barge on Bernardo Silva by booting the ball away. It was a lesson not learned after Declan Rice was sent off for a similar offence against Brighton recently. As the saying goes, he gave the referee a decision to make and he made it. Off he went.

How flippin streetwise is that 😳 I don’t know who is the bigger pudding, Trossard, Arteta or McNulty. One things for certain, all three are as thick as mince.
I said it yesterday, City were poor in that second half, yet we have read about an Arsenal masterclass in defending. Roy Keane hit the nail firmly on the head. “ I have seen teams of ten finish without conceding”. Forget it was City. They were poor. What was forgotten in the aftermath was John Stones comment after the game. “ pep told me to play off Haaland”. He did and he scored.

The first goal City conceded yesterday. The ref calls in Walker to talk to him, and then Arsenal play the ball in the space where Walker should be. I can listen all day that Walker got back. But if he was allowed to get into position in the first place the ball don’t go there. That said the Arsenal goal was excellent but has been overshadowed by “ dark arts”

Not a classic game by any stretch of the imagination and yet some pundits are bigging up a shocking second half performance by both teams.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at clips of him abusing officials as he has just left the pitch he may miss an extra match or two. Bound to be in the refs report and not a good look. Hopefully something he will learn from (the reaction)
Indeed...I understand why he was annoyed, and he, like all of us, clearly hates Anthony Taylor :ROFLMAO:. Suppose it depends what was said - from my limited lip reading ability, he's emphasising that he got the ball or "GOT THE ******** BALL" when he was shouting at Taylor.

So was probably (hopefully) "passionately" getting his point across that Jones pointed out he got the ball, so why are they changing their mind at the first sign of peer pressure from the bench/crowd.

Rob Jones hasn't been assigned to a Forest game since he (very wrongly) sent Boly off vs Bournemouth last season - so I imagine in the heat of the moment, they were aggrieved that he's managed to cause controversy again in the 1st game officiating us since.

Will see what comes out of the wash this week, but hopefully just the single game ban as he's obviously a key player; but having said that, I'm intrigued and excited to see whoever steps up in his place on Sat, whether it be Jota in a more AM role, or whether they push Anderson or JWP up into that role. We've still got the tools to be able to beat Fulham (especially at home), but definitely going to be more difficult.

PaulMdj

Visit site
The chief football writer on the BBC is a guy called Phil McNulty. He is a Utd fan. I don’t have a problem with that, but what I do have a problem with is like a referee you/ he should be neutral. He is a grade one clown.

Quote,
Leandro Trossard followed up a clumsy barge on Bernardo Silva by booting the ball away. It was a lesson not learned after Declan Rice was sent off for a similar offence against Brighton recently. As the saying goes, he gave the referee a decision to make and he made it. Off he went.

How flippin streetwise is that 😳 I don’t know who is the bigger pudding, Trossard, Arteta or McNulty. One things for certain, all three are as thick as mince.
I said it yesterday, City were poor in that second half, yet we have read about an Arsenal masterclass in defending. Roy Keane hit the nail firmly on the head. “ I have seen teams of ten finish without conceding”. Forget it was City. They were poor. What was forgotten in the aftermath was John Stones comment after the game. “ pep told me to play off Haaland”. He did and he scored.

The first goal City conceded yesterday. The ref calls in Walker to talk to him, and then Arsenal play the ball in the space where Walker should be. I can listen all day that Walker got back. But if he was allowed to get into position in the first place the ball don’t go there. That said the Arsenal goal was excellent but has been overshadowed by “ dark arts”

Not a classic game by any stretch of the imagination and yet some pundits are bigging up a shocking second half performance by both teams.
McNulty was born in Liverpool and is an Everton fan.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Quote,

He is an Everton fan