The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Only one I can think of is the sending off.
Sometimes players don’t hear the whistle and just play on.
Trossard did carry on and kicked the ball away but it could be argued it was all in one move .
Not like Doku who kicked the ball away and the ref said “that’s ok because that’s where the foul was “ That was very questionable imo.

Players have been told not to kick the ball after the whistle has gone!

The Saudi thing is following Oliver and others around and fans don’t like it!

It’s a second yellow all day long , he booted the ball into row z

Yes Doku should have been a yellow as well but there wasn’t any significant level of controversy through the game

Lots of stuff about dark arts and time wasting - both teams as bad as each other

As much as I’m not a fan of Bernardo Silva he was spot on when it comes to the rivalry between Arsenal and City and comparing it to City and Liverpool

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Only one I can think of is the sending off.
Sometimes players don’t hear the whistle and just play on.
Trossard did carry on and kicked the ball away but it could be argued it was all in one move .
Not like Doku who kicked the ball away and the ref said “that’s ok because that’s where the foul was “ That was very questionable imo.

Players have been told not to kick the ball after the whistle has gone!

The Saudi thing is following Oliver and others around and fans don’t like it!
I have no affiliation to either side but you could argue had Trossard looked to have played the ball normally or brought it down and played on you could argue he hadn't heard it but it seems clear he simply hoofs it as far away as possible without being under any immediate impression so according to the latest directive had to be booked

Morfeen75

Visit site
I have no affiliation to either side but you could argue had Trossard looked to have played the ball normally or brought it down and played on you could argue he hadn't heard it but it seems clear he simply hoofs it as far away as possible without being under any immediate impression so according to the latest directive had to be booked
The foul on Silva was a worthy yellow card anyway. Reckless charge into the back of him.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have reflected on the Gibbs-White sending off and watched replays etc.

Afterwards, the referee clearly indicates no foul and awards a throw-in. Its only after the Brighton bench get up and protest and probably with input from that prat Anthony Taylor that he changes his mind.

The tackle itself was one of those that could have been given either way. In some people’s eyes it’s a great tackle, in others it’s a yellow. It wasn’t a clear and obvious error to say no foul.

As such, the referee’s original decision should have stood. No foul, no card. Anthony Taylor should not be sticking his nose in and overturning an onfield decision. Rob Jones is weak for allowing himself to be overturned because of bench protests and Anthony Taylor controlling him like a puppet.

Attachments

• IMG_9208.jpeg
    IMG_9208.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 8

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Afterwards, the referee clearly indicates no foul and awards a throw-in. Its only after the Brighton bench get up and protest and probably with input from that prat Anthony Taylor that he changes his mind.

The tackle itself was one of those that could have been given either way. In some people’s eyes it’s a great tackle, in others it’s a yellow. It wasn’t a clear and obvious error to say no foul.

As such, the referee’s original decision should have stood. No foul, no card. Anthony Taylor should not be sticking his nose in and overturning an onfield decision. Rob Jones is weak for allowing himself to be overturned because of bench protests and Anthony Taylor controlling him like a puppet.
There is one thing missing at the start

The 4th Official

- “Assists the referee” at all times

That’s what allows 4th Official to speak to the ref about any incidents they have seen etc

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is one thing missing at the start

The 4th Official

- “Assists the referee” at all times

That’s what allows 4th Official to speak to the ref about any incidents they have seen etc

Does "assisting the referee" include telling him to change his mind on a subjective call though? Not in my mind. VAR only overrules the onfield decision for "clear and obvious errors". Why should a 4th official, even with an ego the size of Anthony Taylor's, be able to?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Does "assisting the referee" include telling him to change his mind on a subjective call though? Not in my mind. VAR only overrules the onfield decision for "clear and obvious errors". Why should a 4th official, even with an ego the size of Anthony Taylor's, be able to?

If the ref has got it wrong and the 4th official sees the tackle from a better angle don’t we want them to be working together to get the right call ?

We don’t know exactly what changed his mind but I’ll take them working as a team to get the right call

It was a stupid tackle from MGW and in this instance the issue should be with another brainless player making an unnecessary tackle when on a yellow

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the ref has got it wrong and the 4th official sees the tackle from a better angle don’t we want them to be working together to get the right call ?

That's my point though. The ref hadn't made a clear and obvious error. It was subjective. Decision should stay with onfield ref, not be overruled by Mr Ego.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
That's my point though. The ref hadn't made a clear and obvious error. It was subjective. Decision should stay with onfield ref, not be overruled by Mr Ego.

The decision was with the onfield officials - didn’t go to VAR , the 4th official is part of the team , along with the Linesman etc

In this instance , the same with Rice , Trossard etc - the players are on yellows , grow a brain , don’t give the referee a chance

RichA

Visit site

I'm a Forest supporter. I was annoyed, then I watched it again a couple of times.
Yes the ref ruled he'd won the ball. But you haven't been allowed to tackle like that for about 25 years. It was the correct decision in the end; just achieved in a way that made it controversial.
I love MGW's passion; he's proper captain material, but that requires not getting carried away and avoiding those sorts of reckless sliding tackles. You can't captain your team from the changing room.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The decision was with the onfield officials - didn’t go to VAR , the 4th official is part of the team , along with the Linesman etc

In this instance , the same with Rice , Trossard etc - the players are on yellows , grow a brain , don’t give the referee a chance

The guy on the field is the one refereeing the game. Yes, I get that the 4th official is part of his team - but onfield referee's decision is final (or should be)

He had a very clear view of the incident, he immediately said no foul.

There was no need for him to change his mind, other than Anthony Taylor pulling the strings and also probably being influenced by the eruption from the Brighton bench.

Far from being good refereeing, it's spineless and weak - in my humble opinion.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The guy on the field is the one refereeing the game. Yes, I get that the 4th official is part of his team - but onfield referee's decision is final (or should be)

He had a very clear view of the incident, he immediately said no foul.

There was no need for him to change his mind, other than Anthony Taylor pulling the strings and also probably being influenced by the eruption from the Brighton bench.

Far from being good refereeing, it's spineless and weak - in my humble opinion.

it’s a yellow card tackle , the referee got to the right call using the team he has on the pitch

Skytot

Visit site
For all the moaning from City about the “dirty tricks” etc from Arsenal - it all started after about 10 seconds with Rodri going down like he was shot and then rolling around for 5 mins
I don’t think anyone can say 100% Rodri went down like he was shot . Sky tried everything camera angle but none of the cameras could decisively give what really happened.