The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think that's down to TAA refusing to sign a new deal and being tapped up by Real Madrid. Unless he signs a new deal his minutes will be getting managed and they'll be plenty more sulks to come.
Yeah I’d be surprised if he’s not at Real next season.
I believe he can start taking to foreign clubs in January.
Seems crazy for a club to let players contracts run down to 1 year.

Red devil

Visit site
From the documentary, Sven..

"Don't be sorry, smile. Thank you for everything, coaches, players, the crowds, it's been fantastic. Take care of yourself and take care of your life. And live it."

RIP 😢
The great philosopher, Mae West said "You only live once but if you do it properly, once is enough "
I intend to follow her and Sven's advice in the time I've left.
May he rest in peace.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I suppose when it comes to football, fans don’t think past the now and then. Following City through the years has been at times purgatory. Folk talk about Citys 115 charges. But it feels like my life following City has been 115 years of hell. I remember when things starting changing. Thaksin Shinawatra bought City and as fans we were like who. Another false Dawn beckoned with a complete unknown. Who did he sign as manager. Sven Gorman Ericsson. Flippin eck, I remember City fans joking he thought he had signed for Utd. An Ex England manger is now in charge at City. It was unreal. Who else did we sign on a monumental last day of the transfer window. Robinho from Real Madrid. Things were definitely changing at City
I was at Sven and Citys first game, a pre season friendly v Doncaster Rovers and we were still crap.
Later that season I managed to get two tickets for the 50th anniversary of the Munich disaster. It was a Derby game Utd v City. The theme of the game was “ A City Utd in grief”. It seemed a catchy one liner to me. Me dad said it couldn’t of been put better. Munich had affected the whole of the CityWhen he was a kid, he and his pals would watch Utd one week, then City the other week. It was only around the mid 60’s when football violence started you picked one of the other.

Fortunately he choose City.

Anyway me and my lad are sat with the Utd fans right next to the City fans and quite frankly I had a tear in my eye before the game. It was that emotional. The silence before the game was deafening.
Sven sent out his team and we had not beaten Utd in a generation at Old Trafford aka the Swamp. Expectations were low to none. I had mentioned to my lad who was around 19 year old that if we manage to score. Bloody sit still and don’t say owt.
That lasted all of about 25 minutes, the ball pinged around the Utd box and City had a couple of shots, the third shot Darius Vasel ripped the net out. City 1 up at the Swamp. The City fans exploded, and unfortunately so did my lad. The torrent of abuse was unreal, and how we got out alive I will never know. The City was no longer Utd. Bottom line we got kicked out and never saw City go 2 up.
Bottom line City held on to win 2-1. Sven had worked his magic against a team of world class players. Dunny, Petrov, Ireland Micah Richards, Benjani, and Vassel brought pride to the Blue half of Manchester for the first time in a very long time. For me, Sven helped put City onto the path it now finds itself. That game will forever live long in the memory, even if I only saw 25 mins.

Sven Gorman Ericsson CTID. RIP fellow blue.

Thanks for the memories.

Red devil

Visit site
I suppose when it comes to football, fans don’t think past the now and then. Following City through the years has been at times purgatory. Folk talk about Citys 115 charges. But it feels like my life following City has been 115 years of hell. I remember when things starting changing. Thaksin Shinawatra bought City and as fans we were like who. Another false Dawn beckoned with a complete unknown. Who did he sign as manager. Sven Gorman Ericsson. Flippin eck, I remember City fans joking he thought he had signed for Utd. An Ex England manger is now in charge at City. It was unreal. Who else did we sign on a monumental last day of the transfer window. Robinho from Real Madrid. Things were definitely changing at City
I was at Sven and Citys first game, a pre season friendly v Doncaster Rovers and we were still crap.
Later that season I managed to get two tickets for the 50th anniversary of the Munich disaster. It was a Derby game Utd v City. The theme of the game was “ A City Utd in grief”. It seemed a catchy one liner to me. Me dad said it couldn’t of been put better. Munich had affected the whole of the CityWhen he was a kid, he and his pals would watch Utd one week, then City the other week. It was only around the mid 60’s when football violence started you picked one of the other.

Fortunately he choose City.

Anyway me and my lad are sat with the Utd fans right next to the City fans and quite frankly I had a tear in my eye before the game. It was that emotional. The silence before the game was deafening.
Sven sent out his team and we had not beaten Utd in a generation at Old Trafford aka the Swamp. Expectations were low to none. I had mentioned to my lad who was around 19 year old that if we manage to score. Bloody sit still and don’t say owt.
That lasted all of about 25 minutes, the ball pinged around the Utd box and City had a couple of shots, the third shot Darius Vasel ripped the net out. City 1 up at the Swamp. The City fans exploded, and unfortunately so did my lad. The torrent of abuse was unreal, and how we got out alive I will never know. The City was no longer Utd. Bottom line we got kicked out and never saw City go 2 up.
Bottom line City held on to win 2-1. Sven had worked his magic against a team of world class players. Dunny, Petrov, Ireland Micah Richards, Benjani, and Vassel brought pride to the Blue half of Manchester for the first time in a very long time. For me, Sven helped put City onto the path it now finds itself. That game will forever live long in the memory, even if I only saw 25 mins.

Sven Gorman Ericsson CTID. RIP fellow blue.

Thanks for the memories.
The Swamp? Like that old flea pit at Maine Road was any better.
The Kippax couldn't hold a candle to the Stretford. 😉
Top boy Sven though

4LEX

Visit site
Maybe McTomminay doesn't want to be a squad player? I doubt any of the other top sides are going to put in a bid for him to play in their squad.

Fair point. He doesn't seem to be kicking up a fuss to leave as he still gets plenty of minutes though. But maybe he fancies a new challenge and starting somewhere else, good signing for Napoli IMO. It'll be interesting to see where Conte uses him as he plays a lot further forward for Scotland.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Is that not what Mainoo is? I don't follow you guys that closely so maybe I have misread what he does.

Mainoo is more box to box, a ball carrier. That’s not Ugarte’s style. He won’t bring goals and assists but will provide the level of cover the back four needs which we really didn’t have last year - the shots conceded stats were horrific every week.

Think of a hybrid of Javier Mascherano and N’Golo Kanté. That’s the sort of player they’re getting. It’s by no means a certainty he can settle in this league and at United - only time will tell. But if he does, this is a fabulous bit of business.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Manuel Ugarte, on the other hand, yes please! A deal has been agreed, it seems. Massive signing if it happens - a younger ball winning midfielder is what we are really missing.

Tbh - strange one , went to PSG last summer when many clubs were after him - was the next Kante for them etc , started ok but then was dropped midway through and PSG went and spent more money on Neves who is a bit more agile

If he struggled with the pace in France going to be a steep learning curve for him in the Prem - interesting to see how he goes as he was very highly rated

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Tbh - strange one , went to PSG last summer when many clubs were after him - was the next Kante for them etc , started ok but then was dropped midway through and PSG went and spent more money on Neves who is a bit more agile

If he struggled with the pace in France going to be a steep learning curve for him in the Prem - interesting to see how he goes as he was very highly rated

He didn’t especially suit the style PSG were trying to develop. I don’t think it’s anything to do with shortcomings in Ugarte’s abilities. His stats last season were staggering for a player who missed quite a few games having fallen out of favour.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He didn’t especially suit the style PSG were trying to develop. I don’t think it’s anything to do with shortcomings in Ugarte’s abilities. His stats last season were staggering for a player who missed quite a few games having fallen out of favour.
I agree. Wil be perfect for United but I still wonder about EtH and whether he has the full backing of the owners and buy in from the players. I think something seems amiss and they were lacklustre and a tad fortunate to beat Fulham (who in turn didn't play great)