The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I agree. Wil be perfect for United but I still wonder about EtH and whether he has the full backing of the owners and buy in from the players. I think something seems amiss and they were lacklustre and a tad fortunate to beat Fulham (who in turn didn't play great)

Their primary issue is playing the first two games with a false nine. It simply doesn’t work. No focal point at all.

I really like the transfer business we’ve done this summer, especially the way we’ve gone about it. There is a spine developing in that side now - we’ve got decent options in central defence, I really like the look of Mazraoui, and Dalot has been excellent at left back.

If you then look at a central midfield pairing of Mainoo and Ugarte, then that has a really solid feel about it. You’ve then got options with Bruno, Garnacho, Amad and the two strikers. All of those players, for me, buy into what ten Hag is doing.

The only one now who genuinely stands out as a total misfit is Rashford.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mainoo is more box to box, a ball carrier. That’s not Ugarte’s style. He won’t bring goals and assists but will provide the level of cover the back four needs which we really didn’t have last year - the shots conceded stats were horrific every week.

Think of a hybrid of Javier Mascherano and N’Golo Kanté. That’s the sort of player they’re getting. It’s by no means a certainty he can settle in this league and at United - only time will tell. But if he does, this is a fabulous bit of business.
If he’s 50/50 of them two lads he will be fantastic.
Two fabulous players.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Their primary issue is playing the first two games with a false nine. It simply doesn’t work. No focal point at all.

I really like the transfer business we’ve done this summer, especially the way we’ve gone about it. There is a spine developing in that side now - we’ve got decent options in central defence, I really like the look of Mazraoui, and Dalot has been excellent at left back.

If you then look at a central midfield pairing of Mainoo and Ugarte, then that has a really solid feel about it. You’ve then got options with Bruno, Garnacho, Amad and the two strikers. All of those players, for me, buy into what ten Hag is doing.

The only one now who genuinely stands out as a total misfit is Rashford.
Will he go?

Swango1980

Visit site
Chelsea and Man Utd going for a player swap

Sterling for Sancho

Chelsea also looking at Toney
Sterling is an interesting one. As a United fan, would I be excited about a pursuit of Raheem Sterling? .....No.

But, if it is what it takes to get rid of Sancho that just hasn't worked, and would he make the squad stronger if he replaces Sancho? I suspect so. I would think that Man Utd's key wide players right now (or soon) would be Amad on the right, Garnacho on the left with Rashford and Anthony providing alternative options.

The question I'd ask other Utd fans, would you rather have Raheem Sterling as an option on the right or left, than playing Rashford or Antony? I honestly cannot say I've watched Sterling enough to judge how good he is over 90 minutes on a regular basis. My perception was he had a good start to last season, and he has obviously had good periods throughout his career. I don't know if he has seriously declined, or suffered being in a squad of 176 other wingers and a new manager who has made a decision to put other players ahead of him.

The other question I'd ask, does bringing in Sterling just mean you are bringing in another player who could throw his toys out of the pram if everything isn't going his way? That isn't really the profile of player I'd think the new ownership model are looking for.

If this is a serious offer on the table, it would be very interesting to see what sort of terms are agreed. From what I've seen online, Sancho is on £250,000 a week at Utd, Sterling £325,000 at Chelsea. If Utd were to match Sterling's salary, he'd be second highest paid player at Utd behind Casemiro. I'd be surprised if the new owners would want to get anywhere near that, or even give him anything more than what Sancho is on. Football does surprise us from time to time though

Billysboots

Visit site
Chelsea and Man Utd going for a player swap

Sterling for Sancho

Chelsea also looking at Toney

My lad has just mentioned Sterling. I’m not a huge fan, but a lot depends on the deal. Would he be an upgrade on what we currently have in Sancho and/or Rashford? I have to say I think he would be. So whilst I’m not going to get overly excited by any deal for him, neither am I totally dismissive of it.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
My lad has just mentioned Sterling. I’m not a huge fan, but a lot depends on the deal. Would he be an upgrade on what we currently have in Sancho and/or Rashford? I have to say I think he would be. So whilst I’m not going to get overly excited by any deal for him, neither am I totally dismissive of it.

I think you would get the better deal - Sterling isn’t a bad player and has proven he can score goals in the prem

If you get him playing like his City form then he starts

But on huge wages and not the most harmonious of players

Billysboots

Visit site
I think you would get the better deal - Sterling isn’t a bad player and has proven he can score goals in the prem

Can’t see the new regime at United bringing him in on the wages Chelsea are paying him.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Not if he's on £300K+ wages and, as you rightly say, not the most harmonious of players.
I'd not entertain anything over £200K for Sterling and it'd be a contract of 3 years.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sterling was at his finest when he played on the opposite wing to Sane.That seemed a generation away. Towards the end of Sterlings time at City. He became more and more of a big part player. Partly down to his loss of form ( similar to Grealish had a dip). Plus others were playing better. Sterling coming on for City in the final game of the season helped turn a certain defeat into a title winning performance. But that’s Sterling at times world class, but more often than not. Rammel.
A player that has Been at Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Possibly Utd is never going to be a popular player. He came to us for money, Chelsea for money and no one is going to convince me he is going to Utd for anything else. Sterling is not the answer to Utds Problems.
I hope he goes 😉👍

Red devil

Visit site
Sterling was at his finest when he played on the opposite wing to Sane.That seemed a generation away. Towards the end of Sterlings time at City. He became more and more of a big part player. Partly down to his loss of form ( similar to Grealish had a dip). Plus others were playing better. Sterling coming on for City in the final game of the season helped turn a certain defeat into a title winning performance. But that’s Sterling at times world class, but more often than not. Rammel.
A player that has Been at Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Possibly Utd is never going to be a popular player. He came to us for money, Chelsea for money and no one is going to convince me he is going to Utd for anything else. Sterling is not the answer to Utds Problems.
I hope he goes 😉👍
He's not going to Utd for the money, if he wanted that he'd stay at Chelsea and see out the remaining 3yrs of his contract on £325k a week. Utd won't be paying him anywhere near that

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I hope he goes 😉👍
I think you are being colourful with the truth about Sterling's reason for leaving clubs?

Not sure the crossover with him leaving Liverpool and Klopp arriving, both were 2015. As a City fan at the time, were you telling the world he was only joining you for the money, or would you have said he was joining your club as he had ambition to win things, and City were in a better position to do so?

I thought he left City when his game time dropped, and he decided to go to a club where he'd get that game time?

And, the manager at Chelsea had made it abundantly clear he isn't wanted, so how one could suggest he is only leaving for the money is crazy.

Luckily for him, the clubs who have signed him are top clubs who ca afford high salaries. Chelsea have been stupid with the money they've dished out, to many players. So, players who they no longer want are not simply going to tear up their contract, just so they can get some game time at Doncaster, Lincoln or Port Vale for £1,000 a week. If Sterling does leave, I'm sure he'll only do so if he gets paid the same or close to what Chelsea would have given him. As I said, I'd be surprised if Utd would match that salary, so not sure if it'll mean Chelsea would need to pay off the difference. And I'm not sure Sterling should let Chelsea off that lightly anyway, freeing them up from his salary they had committed themselves to.