The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think you are being colourful with the truth about Sterling's reason for leaving clubs?

Not sure the crossover with him leaving Liverpool and Klopp arriving, both were 2015. As a City fan at the time, were you telling the world he was only joining you for the money, or would you have said he was joining your club as he had ambition to win things, and City were in a better position to do so?

I thought he left City when his game time dropped, and he decided to go to a club where he'd get that game time?

And, the manager at Chelsea had made it abundantly clear he isn't wanted, so how one could suggest he is only leaving for the money is crazy.

Luckily for him, the clubs who have signed him are top clubs who ca afford high salaries. Chelsea have been stupid with the money they've dished out, to many players. So, players who they no longer want are not simply going to tear up their contract, just so they can get some game time at Doncaster, Lincoln or Port Vale for ÂŁ1,000 a week. If Sterling does leave, I'm sure he'll only do so if he gets paid the same or close to what Chelsea would have given him. As I said, I'd be surprised if Utd would match that salary, so not sure if it'll mean Chelsea would need to pay off the difference. And I'm not sure Sterling should let Chelsea off that lightly anyway, freeing them up from his salary they had committed themselves to.
So when did City go from buying overpriced players paying over the top wages to then buying Sterling because he wanted to win things. He was at Liverpool and had just as much chance of winning things there. I mentioned he left City because his game time had dropped.
Chelsea have bought two players off City. Sterling and Palmer. One has gone onto becoming young player of the year. One is now struggling for a club. Yet both left for more game time. One has knuckled down and grafted, one is on £325 k per week and hasn’t. Maybe that’s why the manager don’t want him.

Tashyboy

Visit site
He's not going to Utd for the money, if he wanted that he'd stay at Chelsea and see out the remaining 3yrs of his contract on ÂŁ325k a week. Utd won't be paying him anywhere near that
I think Chelsea could pay part of his wages and Utd the rest he could/ would still be on the same money.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So when did City go from buying overpriced players paying over the top wages to then buying Sterling because he wanted to win things. He was at Liverpool and had just as much chance of winning things there. I mentioned he left City because his game time had dropped.
Chelsea have bought two players off City. Sterling and Palmer. One has gone onto becoming young player of the year. One is now struggling for a club. Yet both left for more game time. One has knuckled down and grafted, one is on £325 k per week and hasn’t. Maybe that’s why the manager don’t want him.

With respect, Tash, how do you know Sterling hasn’t “knuckled down and grafted”?

Personally, I would not criticise any player for not getting game time in the most ludicrously bloated squad at a club which most agree is the most appallingly run there is.

Nobody knows what is behind the Sterling situation. My own view remains that, if the player is an upgrade on what United have, and any deal makes financial sense, then it is worth at least exploring it. Ultimately, he can play anywhere across a front three, which Marcus Rashford cannot. That would actually be my preferred swap - Sterling for Rashford. But, whilst Chelsea are stupid, even they are not so dumb as to take Rashford off our hands.

Swango1980

Visit site
You are kidding us all, are you not. The same Liverpool, who up to that point had been serial underachievers since the PL began. The same Liverpool who had just lost, or about to lose their best player in the PL, Gerrard. Joining Man City, who had recently won the league in 2012 and 2014 and seemingly still improving. Since joining City, Sterling went on to win 4 Premier league titles, an FA Cup and 5 League Cups. And now you are trying to convince us he only left Liverpool for the money. That feels like the biggest re-writing of history ever, now that he is no longer a City player and you've no longer any reason to back him. :ROFLMAO:

Are you trying to tell us ever single player that goes to City are only there for the money?

Swango1980

Visit site
I feel dirty, as I am seemingly backing Man City in this argument, whilst the Man City fan is belittling his own club by suggesting players only join for the money, and they are no better in terms of quality compared to Liverpool.

How did this happen!??????

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think you're remembering correctly. In Sterling's last season with Liverpool they'd finished 6th under Rogers. In fact Sterling didn't win a trophy at all in his three seasons with Liverpool. Whereas City had finished 1st or 2nd in the previous four seasons at that stage. (They actually then came 4th in Sterling's first season but he wasn't to know that.) He definitely moved there to win trophies.

Sterling has never seemed the most 'money hungry' to me. I genuinely believe he went to Chelsea for more game time as well. Of course, he's not going poor and hungry, but he's lucky enough to have been able to sign for some of the top clubs in the country so you're going to get a wage to match. I think he's now said he wants to be playing to get back in the England side, which is why he won't be going to Saudi or anywhere like that.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Moving to Man City from Liverpool took his wages from ÂŁ35k to ÂŁ150k

There were a number of reasons for him leaving and money was one

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
This doesn't look eye-watering by today's standards. In fact, he was grossly underpaid at Liverpool if he was only on 35k still.

This was a decade ago - as a 19 year old who just finished his 3rd season as a starter , he was offered a raise to just around ÂŁ100k - at the time our highest earner was Gerrard on ÂŁ140k

Tashyboy

Visit site
With respect, Tash, how do you know Sterling hasn’t “knuckled down and grafted”?

Personally, I would not criticise any player for not getting game time in the most ludicrously bloated squad at a club which most agree is the most appallingly run there is.

Nobody knows what is behind the Sterling situation. My own view remains that, if the player is an upgrade on what United have, and any deal makes financial sense, then it is worth at least exploring it. Ultimately, he can play anywhere across a front three, which Marcus Rashford cannot. That would actually be my preferred swap - Sterling for Rashford. But, whilst Chelsea are stupid, even they are not so dumb as to take Rashford off our hands.
He might well of done ( knuckled down) but the bottom line is a manager picks the players he sees performing in training and not the ones that focus on me and not the team. His outburst confirmed that. Why not have a quiet word with the manager. Sterling left Liverpool because “ he” thought he was worth more and wanted to win things. Sterling then left City because “ he” wanted more game time when he was at a club where he allegedly wanted more money and trophies. He always knew under Pep it was a squad game. “ He” now wants to leave Chelsea for more game time. And let’s be right is it not a contradiction that he left Liverpool so he could win things to end up at Utd where they could struggle for the top four. In the time he has left City he has gone from a regular international to now not even being considered.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
When we bought Sterling I was underwhelmed, at best. Really didn't rate him. I changed that opnion though and think Pep really got the best out of him. For a while he really looked the real deal, albeit always prone to glaring errors and never with a quality touch. He became a finisher though and popped up and scored vital goals. His form definitely dropped though, not sure why, maybe not playing as much or fatigue or just a lack of form he never recovered from.

Of course I don't knw him BUT he has always appeared a professional who works hard to be his best and also for his family. Of course the money is something he desired and chased but I never thought at the detriment to his desire to play the game he loves, and do that every match.

Chelsea has been the graveyard of many a decent player.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think we’re all overthinking this. Bottom line, is Raheem Sterling an upgrade on what United have, especially on either flank? At the moment I’d have to say he’s a more complete player than Garnacho and Amad. And he’s just better than Rashford.

If the sums add up, then I’m afraid I have to say this is actually a move which makes sense for all the parties involved.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He might well of done ( knuckled down) but the bottom line is a manager picks the players he sees performing in training and not the ones that focus on me and not the team. His outburst confirmed that. Why not have a quiet word with the manager. Sterling left Liverpool because “ he” thought he was worth more and wanted to win things. Sterling then left City because “ he” wanted more game time when he was at a club where he allegedly wanted more money and trophies. He always knew under Pep it was a squad game. “ He” now wants to leave Chelsea for more game time. And let’s be right is it not a contradiction that he left Liverpool so he could win things to end up at Utd where they could struggle for the top four. In the time he has left City he has gone from a regular international to now not even being considered.
Your dislike of Sterling is weird. He seems to get hate from a lot of people that I don't think he deserves. He had a spell around 2019 where he was genuinely world class, for City and England. He lost form a little bit around his Chelsea move and has been usurped as the main man by Palmer somewhat. But it's been hard for anyone else to shine in that basketcase club lately. I hope he gets a good move and gets his form back.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
When we bought Sterling I was underwhelmed, at best. Really didn't rate him. I changed that opnion though and think Pep really got the best out of him. For a while he really looked the real deal, albeit always prone to glaring errors and never with a quality touch. He became a finisher though and popped up and scored vital goals. His form definitely dropped though, not sure why, maybe not playing as much or fatigue or just a lack of form he never recovered from.

Of course I don't knw him BUT he has always appeared a professional who works hard to be his best and also for his family. Of course the money is something he desired and chased but I never thought at the detriment to his desire to play the game he loves, and do that every match.

Chelsea has been the graveyard of many a decent player.

Yep - he was young and a bit cocky with us but was a talented player , his stats for City clearly show he did well - scored over 100 goals over a 4 season period 2017-2021

But no one should ever be judged by their time at Chelsea

Sterling is better than Antony by a mile , and will prob score more than Utd’s current wide players